Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First up is an Armstrong 64-031.

1. Thanks to Logger for sending the wrench. Armstrongs are nice wrenches. I've used one of their 1/2" models a good deal.

2. The actual torque values measured were plotted along with the settings on the wrench. This was done to make it easy to see the difference between the Actual vs Desired (i.e. setting on the wrench itself). On the chart below you can see the torque values on the left axis. The bottom axis is simply the setting count and has no real meaning other than it allows the data to be plotted for easy viewing.

3. The wrench was tested 10x at each setting and was extremely repeatable.

4. Since there was some error, I used a curve-fit with the actual data and created a correction table for Logger.

5. A Snap-On calibration fixture was used for the test.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/11/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's the data and correction tables for the Armstrong 64-031.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good report. Thank you. I've been thinking about getting a torque wrench for some time. Your reports will help make the buying decision easier.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have accumulated several torque wrenches over the years; all of them being dedicated to working on my rifles.

IIRC, you will be testing several wrenches in the future. Perhaps we could make this a sticky or at least keep the results in a continuous running thread.

Thank you for your time.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tested a Borka? It takes a little practice to use, but I like it. No idea how accurate it is though.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some other members have expressed interest in sending a Weaver and Wheeler Fat Wrench for comparison. If so, I'll post the results.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't used a Borka but would like to try one!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
After all of this discussion I started to do a bit of looking on line.

I found an old fashioned deflective beam type wrench on Amazon. It is a Park Tool TW1. It is made by the Park Tool company in St Paul, MN. The price was less than $40.00. It came from a bike shop.

The pointer was off of zero by about two inch pounds. Easy fix. Put the square shank in a padded vise, and deflect the pointer until it returns to "0."

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When I was a young fella every toolbox around had a beam type torque wrench. Clickers are all the rage now, but it seems that fewer people have a torque wrench of any type these days. I don't know what changed but it seems less fashionable to have a beam type.

I like beam wrenches.

Send it, and I'll test it and report the results.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've Got a Older Snap-On TQ-1 Torqometer That I Picked Up Years Ago At a Flea Market. Guy Wanted $10. And Me. Being Me. Offered $8.Have To Say It's Been Well Worth The Money. Hard To Do Things With Out One..

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Next up is a 1/4" Pittsburgh Pro...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to SenderoMan for sending the 1/4" Pittsburgh Pro from Harbor Freight Tools. Got to say that he and Logger have been good guys to work with on this little project.

I was running low on time and to keep things apples-to-apples for firearms-use I'm only posting data up to 50 in*lbs for now. Range for this torque wrench is 20-200 in*lbs. I'll try to post results for the entire range at a later date.

Same test procedure and reporting as before. The x-axis is meaningless but makes it easier to plot and show how the actual torque matches the settings on the wrench.

On with the results... and its "PittsburgH".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for specifying, in* pounds as opposed to, ft. pounds.
Not uncommon to see folks mixing the two and not realizing the difference.
Quote "stock screws were less than 40ft/lbs" from today's posts

Last edited by colodog; 12/23/14. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Pittsburgh Pro did much better than I expected. In the 20-50 in*lb range it did fairly well. At higher ranges the first click after making a setting change would be higher than subsequent uses. If this were my wrench and I wanted to be very precise I would exercise the wrench at least once after setting the wrench. In other words... set the wrench to the desired torque value, put square drive in vice (or similar), click a few times, then use. In the 20-50 in*lb range this was not needed, but wouldn't hurt.

Inconvenient? Maybe, but I think you can get this wrench for $20.

Jason

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dang. Still havent sent the wheeler, but I will.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
The Pittsburgh Pro did much better than I expected. In the 20-50 in*lb range it did fairly well. At higher ranges the first click after making a setting change would be higher than subsequent uses. If this were my wrench and I wanted to be very precise I would exercise the wrench at least once after setting the wrench. In other words... set the wrench to the desired torque value, put square drive in vice (or similar), click a few times, then use. In the 20-50 in*lb range this was not needed, but wouldn't hurt.

Inconvenient? Maybe, but I think you can get this wrench for $20.

Jason

First all, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Second, I'll pick up one of those Pittsburgh wrenches, seems like a deal for $20.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No rush CT. Hoping to get a Weaver too.

Dave,

I had a HFT 1/4" wrench that was off by a lot. Went to look for it for this test but I must have pitched it since it was nowhere to be found. I told this to SenderoMan and he still wanted to send his wrench. I'm glad he did.

I think we need to be careful since I've only got one sample for each/make model. But, if you want to send your wrench, I'll test it for you. Just send a PM.

Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jason,
Thanks for testing these wrenches out and yes I'm glad I did send it! I was a little worried about its accuracy after talking with you and wonder if they are consistent from wrench to wrench. Just glad that I ended up with an accurate one!

If you watch for sales, these can be had for way less than the $20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with two HF Pittsburgh 1/4" drive torque wrenches was a little different. I wanted a 1/4" torque wrench to torque the intake manifold bolts on my truck. These are critical fasteners that have to be torqued correctly and evenly to avoid problems.

I went to HF and bought one. It did not function. It was totally defective and I returned it for another one. That one functioned but I tested it on a random bolt on my truck, at a couple of different settings, and it didn't feel right. So I tested it it against my calibrated Snap-On 3/8" drive and it did not produce the same torque values.

I returned that POS also. I ended up using my Snap-On, at just below it's normal torque range, and it went together right and tight.

Just MHO but I don't believe HF torque wrenches are tested or calibrated. They're the cheapest of cheap "looks like a torque wrench" chinese crap. You might get lucky but ...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SenderoMan,

No problem. Thanks for sending it.

Fish Head,

I think you get what you pay for. Sometimes you can find a bargain or get lucky. I still think the 1/4" HFT torque wrench is hit/miss. I've seen a few 1/2" versions that have been pretty good for occasional home use. I wouldn't trust any of them without checking first.

You make a great point about paying attention to the "feel". I think that people who don't wrench small fasteners would have a hard time judging this. The average 1/4" torque wrench has a lot of leverage. Probably best to start with a smaller tool (small combo wrench or nutdriver) and tighten lightly by hand then use the torque wrench, while paying attention to feel. We shouldn't be using a torque wrench as a ratchet any way, although many people do.

Spending more money is not always a guarantee for better accuracy. A fella I know grabbed a 1/4" Snap-On to mount a scope to his new T3. I suggested that he check it first. It was set to 25 in*lbs, but the actual torque was 45 in*lbs... off by 80%. I've seen this with another 1/4" Snap-On but both were the digital variety.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/26/14.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.