Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
John,

I'd love to get your thoughts and advise regarding rifle hold at the bench and how you keep it consistent. I've been working up loads in a light gun that will throw a flier 2" out if I let it recoil much differently. I'm sure that wearing a jacket doesn't help, but it's kinda cold. I thought it would be a good topic that doesn't get touched on very often and would like your wisdom on the subject.

Higgins

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess that I just don't equate light rifles and bench shooting...
And I don't pay all that much attention to how any rifle performs from a bench.

Shooting groups can be interesting for a short while, but rapidly loses my interest...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Good for you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, I'm not JB, but since no one else is saying anything ...

I've always found light rifles tend to be sensitive to the way they are held. More so than a heavy varmint rig anyway. Apart from watching the obvious stuff, like making sure swivels aren't dragging on the rest, I've found that holding them firmly tends to help, rather than letting them free-recoil. I also am careful to ensure the buttplate is on the shoulder (actually, just inboard of the shoulder, on the muscle) in the same position, and with the same pressure each time(fairly firm). I hold the fore-end in my weak hand, with it in turn resting on the front rest, and pay attention to the same things I would do if shooting prone, like making sure the trigger finger doesn't touch the stock, consistent head position and elbow position, and positioning myself for a natural point of aim on the aiming mark to avoid "muscling" the rifle.

This is not standard benchrest technique, I know, but it works much better for me. I have several rifles which weigh less than 7 lbs scoped, but will consistently put 5 rounds into less than 1 moa shot this way, some less than .75 moa. As well, the POI better matches the POI I get from typical field positions.

HTH

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
What Dan said. I've found that the lighter the rifle, the more attention you have to pay to consistency in hold, cheek pressure, how hard you pull the rifle back into your shoulder, forearm hold, etc.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
What Dan said. I've found that the lighter the rifle, the more attention you have to pay to consistency in hold, cheek pressure, how hard you pull the rifle back into your shoulder, forearm hold, etc.

I'm not JB either but light rifles have given me fits over the years. Everything must be consistent. Things I find myself doing - more/less cheek pressure, more/less pistol grip pressure. I pay attention alot to these two things because nothing irritates me off more than have a good group going and then grip the rifle different and have a bullet 1-2" out. These things come to light when you shoot the exact same load over repeated bench sessions.

I get it that shooting off the bench is boring - but do you think you aren't doing the same mistakes shooting from field positions? I shoot from the bench at almost every session, at least a few shots, to ensure consistency in the items we are discussing. I normally shoot from the bench to get my mechanics down, then shoot from field positions.

You'll find some days sub MOA groups, some days 1.5-2" groups mostly 2-4 together and 1 shot 1-2" away opening up the group. At least thats what I've found. I've also noticed subtle shifts in elevation between bench sessions. If you shoot enough and long enough and pay attention, you'll notice these things and hopefully work on them. Of course I could simply be a crappy shot wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm no expert but applying what I've learned on the Forum I have turned in some pretty consistent tight groups when load developing for my NULA and Finnlight 7/08's by:
Adjusting my Model 500 Rest to just in front of the magazine with a folded towel under the forearm; firm hold on the forearm in front of the front rest with my off-hand pulling the stock into my shoulder; rear rest elevated to allow for a more upright position; using a padded brick to elevate the elbow of my trigger arm; light grip on the wrist and smooth trigger pull; and NO contact between my chest and the bench.
Again works for load development and scope zeroing for me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Higbean,

I've generally found a softer forend rest helps light rifles more than anything. ALL rifles will recoil away from a harder rest, even rimfires, but its exaggerated in light rifles, and even a sandbag that's compacted some will cause it. So with any rifle weighing 7 pounds or less I fold up the terrycloth towel in my range bag, and lay it over the sandbag.

I don't bother holding the rifle differently, and just put the middle of the forend over the towel, just like I would if hunting and using a daypack for a rest. Have never been able to see any sense in hunting with a rifle that requires a "special" hold to get it to shoot well, and a towel has so far allowed every light rifle I've fooled with to work the way a rifle should.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't it be foolhardy to use unusual holds to sight in and work loads on a rifle that is meant to be shot from field positions. surely you would/could not install a bipod. Thinking of hasty sling, have not tested the change in impact but now think i need to.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wouldn't it be foolhardy to use unusual holds to sight in and work loads on a rifle that is meant to be shot from field positions. surely you would/could not install a bipod. Thinking of hasty sling, have not tested the change in impact but now think i need to.

My thoughts too. MD - what do you do with your non-trigger hand? And then there is the question of off-hand/kneeling/sitting shots.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I agree, that is why I don't use any "special" holds, and hold the rifle in both hands, buttplate firmly against the shoulder, when sighting in, just as I would do in the field. Not resting the fore-end directly on the rest, because I won't do that in the field, for example.

I also pay attention to the same things that I do when shooting from field positions, such as consistency of the position of the butt, cheek weld etc. Not "special" holds, but good technique.

Very light rifles seem particularly sensitive to this (as are rimfires, FWIW)

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
JB,

Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a brake and lead-sled, just don't forget the skirt.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Use a brake and lead-sled, just don't forget the skirt.....

Last time I shot next to a guy with a brake it made me so nervous, I was shaking like a queer tryin to eat a corn dog in front of his old man!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
No offense... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brakes and leadsleds means you bought the wrong rifle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Having spent a lot of time doing load development from a bench on a Kimber Montana, I'll pass on what I've learned. With the exception of avoiding free recoil techniques, I don't think it requires any special technique, but it does require attention to consistent technique. I have a cheap bag roughly under the mag box and another under the heel. Adjust so the cross hairs are real close. Then just hold as you would if shooting off-hand. Pull firmly, but not hard, into shoulder and keep cross hairs aligned with target and then squeeze. The hold and forces are the same as field shooting, just a little stability from the bags. You end up with good load development, sighting in, and it will shoot to same POI in the field.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Light rifles are akin to fat women! I don't care for 'em!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have been working on a consistent hold in working up loads for several light rifles. I try to just keep it firm against my shoulder

Tater
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to carry them. Got a T3 lite and have had some trouble shooting in the field. Most shooting is offhand or whatever you have to do. Have been very aware of bobbles, especially on trigger pull. Flinch? Don't see it with heavier rifles. Just thought a 22 is fine, maybe it is flinch. Buck fever?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta shoot through the bobbles. Guys try to watch the crosshairs dance then yank the trigger once they see it center on the target. Let her dance a little and apply pressure until the boom.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by RMulhern

While I share your attitude about fat women, our beliefs about light rifles could not be more different. There is more vertical relief within five miles of my house than in the entire state of LA. When you realize that your truck is in the saddle on the skyline, light seems very right.
[Linked Image]

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Yes they are, and I love em' both... wink

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by utah708

While I share your attitude about fat women, our beliefs about light rifles could not be more different. There is more vertical relief within five miles of my house than in the entire state of LA. When you realize that your truck is in the saddle on the skyline, light seems very right.
[Linked Image]

Always park at the bottom!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by utah708

[Linked Image]

Always park at the bottom!

And wear camo so the deer can't see you get out of the truck!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by cast10K

My thoughts too. MD - what do you do with your non-trigger hand? And then there is the question of off-hand/kneeling/sitting shots.

"off-hand"

What's that???

Oh...that must be when they run 5' bipods down and stand up on their hind legs!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Those who never shoot off the bench apparently only shot factory ammo....no load development needed. Bench shooting (shooting off the bench not at it) is necessary for accuracy while developing loads. It's also a way to get the sight-in close. I have found that that rifles need to be checked and sometimes adjusted for zero from field positions after the bench sight-in, point of impact is often a little different from bench to off-hand.

I saw my dad miss a fine buck because he rested his Mod 70 directly on a fence post. See John's comments above about resting on hard surfaces.

Another JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.