Campfire Tracker
L
"....from Northern Vermont....You're a New Englander"

And I still have my teeth" grin

Lefty

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Congrat's Lefty-, there is no more challenging way to take a big whitetail buck than tracking him and that big deer is one in a million or so.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
AH,

He was back a ways. In the last few years I have been seeing less and less deer and more and more of this:

[Linked Image]

Woof and cats are working on them. One of the guys said he saw a grizzly track as well.

Lefty

Tracking,

Dad saw two wolves north of Potlatch below Lookout Mountain last summer, and the cats are no longer uncommon sightings in the area.

I'd bet the area around Gold Hill is being re-infiltrated with both types. I haven't been through the Deary cut-off in a number of years, so don't know what the population looks like out that way. I do know the hunters around St Maries were reporting wolve sightings within 5 miles of town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roninflag
Originally Posted by Lonny
At 376 lbs, that buck is absolute freak for this area! It is akin to an 8 foot tall human.

I've lived here my entire life in this area and have seen hundreds of dead whitetails and never seen or heard of anything even close to that.

I've weighed a few of the bigger bucks that I've killed and anything field-dressed that goes over 175 is a good buck. Something that goes much over 210 is gonna turn heads.

From what I have seen, 180-220 lbs field dressed is by far the norm for an older buck living good in this area. It's hard to imagine something that would be a 100 lbs bigger.

You got yourself a freak of nature. Congrats on one heckuva deer.
It is simply amazing. do you think the area had more or better food?

Could have? But if LC is running into wolves, this buck is probably a deer that probably didn't spend summer grazing in wheat and alfalfa fields.

I think it might have something to do with a particular area producing big bodied deer. Just like some areas are prone to producing non-typical racks, yet 20 miles away a non-typical is rare. We have a river drainage in this area that can produce female lions with skulls big enough to make P&Y. That isn't the norm for most areas.

At 9.5 years old, that buck was ancient which led to many years of allowing it to grow as big as possible. Hard winters, preds, human and furred, make it tough for a deer to last that long in this area. Whether it was food, genetics, or being in a place where a buck can live a long life, something about that deer and area made it grow into freaky size.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The largest deer we have shot in our area have gone about 215-220 field dressed

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I can't believe you didn't know what you had for awhile and taken better pictures. Your doing this deer unjustice by not having better pictures. Lefty I hate to say it but I have to call you out on this one. You shoot a buck that big and don't get better pictures??? Then doing the eye test I really can't see where the deer on the left is twice as small as the other one. Then in the original story the 180 was a 8 pt now its a 10 pt is it a different deer? I hate to say it but I don't see any proof that your deer weighed that much. The Alberta buck in another post and the 212 lb buck in your post look every bit as big and yours is 150 lbs bigger? I would have made sure I got a picture of the scale on this one just to put an end to the doubters. You gotta admit its hard to believe without 100% proof a deer will dress out at 375. Not trying to start anything just my opinion. I hope you will respect it.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
GW

FWIW

I shot two deer on this trip. The big one and a 8 pointer. A ten pointer was also taken by one of the guys with us.

10 point:
[Linked Image]

8 point I shot day before:

[Linked Image]

Both respectable deer. I believe the ten is laying next to the big buck.

Sorry about the pictures but not trying to break records just sharing pictures of a large unusual buck I was lucky enough to get

Lefty

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
" Yes sir...he's your deer. Just let me get the saddle off him...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonewest
I can't believe you didn't know what you had for awhile and taken better pictures. Your doing this deer unjustice by not having better pictures. Lefty I hate to say it but I have to call you out on this one. You shoot a buck that big and don't get better pictures??? Then doing the eye test I really can't see where the deer on the left is twice as small as the other one. Then in the original story the 180 was a 8 pt now its a 10 pt is it a different deer? I hate to say it but I don't see any proof that your deer weighed that much. The Alberta buck in another post and the 212 lb buck in your post look every bit as big and yours is 150 lbs bigger? I would have made sure I got a picture of the scale on this one just to put an end to the doubters. You gotta admit its hard to believe without 100% proof a deer will dress out at 375. Not trying to start anything just my opinion. I hope you will respect it.

I've been around here long enough to know that if lefty says it's raining, I'm packing a rain coat.

I don't doubt the weight of the deer for a second.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

10 point:
[Linked Image]

8 point I shot day before:

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the pictures but not trying to break records just sharing pictures of a large unusual buck I was lucky enough to get

Lefty

Jiminy Christmas man! You deserve your own website for killing a buck that large. Post all the pics you want and brag away. smile

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The buck I got this year weighed 173 at the locker, dressed. No hide, head, guts or lower legs. What would he have went live?

Huntsman: There are formulas. smile

A buck with a hanging weight (like yours) of 173 #'s will have an estimated live weight of about 289 pounds...if I did the math right.

I have seen these formulas before but just pulled this one down off the Innanet....so it has to be right wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Huntsman: There are formulas. smile

Yeah, I figgered. But I don't know 'em.......grin
Dattsa why I axed.....I know he was as heavy as my big muley was.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry if I missed it, but was that live, or field dressed.

Either way, what a hulk!

Congrats.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MAn, thats a hefty deer.

Guy in NJ just took one that weighed in at 249 dressed. Thats gotta be close to 300 live, and is definitely BY FAR the largest confirmed that I have heard of around here.

Must have been a real bitch to drag out! I guess quartering wasnt an option?

Either way, congrats on a monster!!!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Guy in Chinese restaurant say: Hory Shet

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Petro
Originally Posted by acooper1983
deer in the picture aint anywhere near that big..

You have no clue. Shut up.

no, you have no clue, ive shot plenty of deer that have went over 220lbs dressed. either there is some crazy camera tricks, or someones full of [bleep].

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Petro
deer in the picture aint anywhere near that big..

You have no clue. Shut up.

no, you have no clue, ive shot plenty of deer that have went over 220lbs dressed. either there is some crazy camera tricks, or someones full of [bleep].

Lefty is not known for being full of [bleep]. What you have or have not shot means what exactly?
Can you prove the man wrong?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i can tell by looking at it, that its not a 475lb deer on the hoof. Is it a big deer, sure, but its not a near 500lb deer. That is stratospheric numbers. Look up some pictures of legitmate 300lb dressed deer. Ive shot my fair share of big deer, and hunt and area where we consistently kill big deer, SKane can vouch for that. Maybe lefty isnt known for spinnin yarns, but nothing about that deer says its withing 100lbs of whats bein claimed. You dont shoot a 375lb dressed deer and not take a picture of it on the scale. Id love to be wrong here, but i just dont think I am. Trust me i love it when people kill monsters. Thats a big deer, its just not 375lbs dressed big

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Dad saw two wolves north of Potlatch below Lookout Mountain last summer, and the cats are no longer uncommon sightings in the area.

I'd bet the area around Gold Hill is being re-infiltrated with both types. I haven't been through the Deary cut-off in a number of years, so don't know what the population looks like out that way. I do know the hunters around St Maries were reporting wolve sightings within 5 miles of town.

Couple years ago one of my chums with hounds starting a big kitty track down that way off of Spring Crk I believe. They finally treed it right off the St. Maries river about a mile or two up from Lotus. It had even killed a 5 point buck on the way north. It hit the scales at 160lbs plus. Heck of a long race.

The wolf tracks were thick the one day we had snow on the Emida side of the Palouse divide. Ran into several spots where 2 or 3 were cruising the clear cut edges. No sightings though.

Lefty,
Awesome buck. What a monster. My grandpa told me once of a 300 lb plus deer he killed while guiding some elk hunters. That was back in the 40's or 50's though. Right in Broomd's back yard.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

SKane he was smaller in the hips kinda like a greyhound. This picture doesn't show it as much as it does when he is stretched out. For comparison the 10 pointer next to him weighed 180.
Lefty

leftycarbon;
Thanks for sharing the photos of your giant whitetail with us sir and hearty congratulations!

I've copied the photo because we happen to have been using the same type of plastic toboggan as our family's "dead sled" for a number of years. It's about my height so 5'6" I'd say without going outside to measure it.

Anyway, even a pretty decent sized local mulie buck will fit inside the thing.

As a by the way, we've punched holes every 8" along the sides and then run a 5/8" braided boat rope through it for lashing the carcass into the sled, but then that might not work on one quite that large. wink

Thanks again for sharing the grand buck with us and all the best to you this Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.