Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Eberlestock is about to introduce a bino\pistol harness. You can see it under whats new on there web site. Bit pricey but from what I heard it can snap between your backpack shoulder harness or stand alone.
bino pistol case

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just use a wide rubberized neck strap and tuck them into my vest, or jacket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'll jump in, as I found my binoculars which had been missing since November - in the pontoon boat! I didn't see any mention of S4 Lockdown gear They make a good bino holder.
For example only: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/s4...1-1&gclid=CN-b7Lr0q74CFQcSMwod81cAKg

or try google. There are around $40, but no chest beating, no sag, quick deploy, and they protect the binocs. I haven't worn them with a pack yet, but the straps are thin and wide, I doubt there will be any issues. I've tried crooked horn, Cabelas, and one other that didn't last long enough for me to remember it. I wish someone would make an extra large size for my Steiner 8X56 - heavy, but if it is out there you can see it. For that one I have used a VeroVellini heavy strap, and when on horse or climbing, I have used a piece of shock cord with clips on each end to reduce the beating on the chest.
YMMV

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Glad you mentioned this one, as it looks really interesting to me and was wondering about it.

The only things I question are whether it will provide enough protection to go without caps and also, there is no tension on the bino when you are holding it, something they apparently did on purpose as they call it out as a feature.

My understanding is that a small amount of tension from the lower strap is actually helpful in stabilizing the bino when viewing. Sort of a push-pull approach.

Thoughts?

Anyone used one of these?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the S4 Lockdowns for two or three seasons and give them a positive but mixed review. Like others I've gone through the Crooked Horn etc.

The S4 is bulky, comfortable and mine does have a bit of tension when binos are raised to eyes. That tension may be because I kept tightening and adjusting various tension points/straps to keep the top of the binos against chest and not tipped out. That took me several hunts to finally get adjusted so that the binos ride closer to chest at their top.

The S 4 top flap covers the binos but not enough to keep the lens really dry in Olympic Peninsula/Vancouver Island rain forest conditions. I have added a wider flap with cupped sides to my S 4. It is duct taped ugly and a little more bulky but keeps the eyepieces dry. I like the quick and secure surround flap idea but it needs to be wider at the top. A slightly down cupped edge on the wider top flap would improve it even more (if S4 makers are reading here.)

I use the S 4 often with a daypack and have used it with a loaded full size pack. Lot of stuff on chest and upper body but it works.

Edit added: In a gratuitous display of vanity here is a photo of the S 4 in field use on a pleasant spring day last week. I had just ripped off my wider rain flap covering mentioned above, and you can see the duct tape adhesive remnant on the top flap, as well as the gap which allows side blowing rain into the eyepiece lenses. Good unit not yet perfected IMO.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/14/14.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okanagan:

I suppose you used the duct tape to hold the bear for the picture? ;-)

I can see the gap of which you speak. My Minox 10X43 fit this case perfectly - no gap. (No picture with a dead critter either!) Which leads to your innovation. I might try that just in case. I have no tension on the glasses when using them - which as you suggest might be adjustment. I like the way the binos drop down when I unhook the flap - no cover to futz with, and no noise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by forpest
Okanagan:

I like the way the binos drop down when I unhook the flap - no cover to futz with, and no noise.

Yes, I really like that feature.

FWIW the gap showing in the photo is way bigger than normal when standing so I suspect the bino cover is being distorted by the body position. Normally the top flap fits close over the eyepiece.

Re the missing improvised rain cover, one corner began to stick out enough to slightly catch the attachment line on that side when I released the binos to use. It was not raining that day so I removed the wider cover planning to improvise a better one.

The joy of duct tape!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Further notes after reading this thread again:

1. I wear bino harness UNDER pack and often under my outer shell jacket. No problem or delay in taking off pack etc.

2. After learning of it here I have also ordered the spaghetti strap Rick Young minimal bino harness. Looks multi-use versatile and less bulky. Will improvise a rain cover! grin

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just bought the Rick Young Ultra Lite bino harness. I'm leaving to guide for bear in the Yukon for a 3 week stint. Spot and stalk. Will report back with my thoughts on how the harness performed. Steiner Hunting 7+50 are the binos. A little on the heavy side but if this harness works with these binos it should work with most others.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just got back from my guiding stint in the Yukon. Here's a review on the Rick Young Bino Straps. I wore them 20 out of 20 days in the field. Both in the boat or hiking/stalking. They simply work. When on, you don't realize you're wearing your binos. The only time your binos bounce is when you do something like jump down off a cliff or out of a boat. They don't cut into your body either like I thought might happen. I ordered 2, and when the hunt was over ended up giving both away. One to a hunter and the other to my guiding partner. They loved them. I'm ordering a couple more. Hope this helps. Cheers.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sam,

How did the KUIU harness workout? Dust protection would be my biggest concern.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stomatador, I used it 4-5 different times and give it a thumbs up.

Actually recommend, works great for dust or rain/snow protection.

And the cover pulls off very easily when you want it to.

Harness is mildly 'confining' compared to the old elastic Butler Creek straps but loosen it up a little and it's not bad at all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, I think I'm ready to retire my old Crooked Horn harness and the KUIU seems to be the smallest of the belly pack type.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
10-4, I should have said Crooked Horn straps, not Butler Creek.

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I had the Bushnell Deluxe Binocular Harness fall in to my hands and thought, try it out. It works quite well, actually. I can't compare it to other harnesses because this is the first I've tried. It beats any strap, and I've had quite a few.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to the point where none of them suited my fancy. Went with the bra and a homemade job. Worked quite nicely, and I hate using the metal rings. Knotted cord did the trick..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using a Bino Pac harness for the past 2 years and it has worked well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
449 members (1Longbow, 300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.