Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I don't think it matters size or weight wise, since it'll be in the vehicle most of the time. The wave appears to have what she was looking for, in what she would have a need for an all purpose tool in her activities.

She made mention, that I was making a big deal out of a mt.
I told her, why buy cheap, or one that was lacking for what she could foresee a use for.
Its not like its gonna be used daily, but a just in case tool.

Thanks guys. A wave is in her future.

BTW, I've had an original for at least 15 years now.

Good choice Mark. She'll love it. I have an original that I've had for about 16 years myself. I never used it as much as I do my wave. The wave goes with me wherever I go. It's very handy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
has a logo stating Oregon
found this:

Aw, the power of Google is indeed strong:

Officials at Portland-based pocket tool maker Leatherman Tool Group are celebrating after an appeal court reversed part of an $18 million verdict against the company. The plaintiffs alleged that Leatherman engaged in deceptive advertising by stamping "Made in U.S.A." on its popular multitools, even though they included pieces from non-U.S. manufacturers.

Legal wrangling, however, may not be over.

Still to be decided is how much of $6 million in attorney fees Leatherman will pay. The appeal court also upheld a ruling that the company must advertise it violated California laws.

Meantime, Leatherman's attorney is upbeat, in large part because the ruling means Leatherman won't have to pay $13 million in restitution to California consumers who bought tools during the class-action period.

"We are very gratified by this decision �� it remedies a great injustice: The multimillion award was quite literally, unsupported by any evidence," said Jerry Falk, an attorney with California-based Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin.

"We are not happy the court took away the restitution and are seriously considering an appeal," said Howard Rossbacher, an attorney with Los Angeles-based The Rossbacher Firm, which in 2003 filed the class action complaint against Leatherman. "But both sides have things they won and lost."

At the crux of the original complaint was deception in advertising.

The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleged Leatherman violated California laws by labeling its tools with "Made in U.S.A."

The complaint asserted that because Leatherman tools include pieces from non-U.S. manufacturers, the company couldn't claim legally its products are "Made in U.S.A." Specifically, Leatherman imports five parts out of the average of 30 parts composing each of the tools in question.

"Made in U.S.A.," court filings allege, implies Leatherman products are higher-quality and worth their relative high prices compared with those charged for "Made in China" knockoffs made by competitors.

With a portion of parts coming from vendors outside the country, court filings allege, Leatherman tools are cheapened and consumers weren't getting their money's worth.

The company did not dispute that some parts incorporated into its products are made outside the United States.

For instance, Leatherman buys European-made files, corkscrews and other components.

The jaws for its pliers come from a U.S. company that moved manufacturing to Mexico.

The plier jaws, and some other imported products, arrive at Leatherman's 120,000-square-foot manufacturing facility to be finished �� ground, hardened and polished �� by its manufacturing work force of more than 300.

"Anybody who came into our factory and saw all the parts and work that goes into the tools would conclude that we actually do produce it here," said Roger Bjorklund, Leatherman vice president of marketing.

Other portions of the tools are fabricated on-site before all the pieces are fashioned into finished devices.

Federal courts have determined that the tools qualify as "Made in U.S.A.," Bjorklund said.

To appease critics, though, the company stopped imprinting its tools with "Made in U.S.A." about the time of the filing of the class action suit.

An absence of evidence led the appeal court to strike down the monetary award.

The $13 million awarded as restitution might have overestimated anything due to consumers.

That amount represented 25 percent of the company's gross revenue in California throughout five years and is equivalent to more than all of Leatherman's profits on its California sales.

The two California laws in question date to 1961. They aim to prevent companies from unrightfully profiting off products manufactured off-shore but sold as domestically made.

In the years since the California Legislature enacted them, Leatherman's is only the second case to receive a court verdict. A complaint against Kwikset is pending in the California Supreme Court and others are working their way through the courts.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used most of them and think the Swisstool is the best full size multitool.
For the lady I'd check out the Swiss Spirit.
I liked the Wave's quite a bit but have had the blade locks break. Still like the Wave lot.
Sog's and Gerbers aren't even in the running IMO.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't forget swiss army.... I carry one a friend has when in AK... its very small, very nice, good quality scissors etc...

Did not know they made such, until he gave it to me to use.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Leatherman Wave.

Close the thread! smile
We're done here.
Yep!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhh cmon no one wants to read my Sycamore style cut n paste from hell???

grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A pair of Wilde 7 inch pliers and a Schrade folding knife.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ahhh cmon no one wants to read my Sycamore style cut n paste from hell???

grin

laugh

i hit the high points

seems that is all too common now days.

at least Leupold doesn't lie about it and uses "Assembled in USA"

others use "Made is the USA of foreign and domestic parts"

Why can't one use "Every damn piece is made in the USA, by Americans"

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the original Leatherman PST. I think that my son has a Wingman. For a small purse knife, I got my daughter a Gerber LST. It is very thin and light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by willhunt4
I'm on my third Leatherman Wave.
I use it for work and have only replaced them as I've worn the blade down from sharpening or broken a blade by abusing it.
Great tool.

Bob

I may have a dozen multi tools. Have 4 Leatherman.

The one I like the best and would not be without --- Leatherman Wave.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Home Depot has the Leatherman Sidekick for $18 each. I just bought 6 of them for Xmas gifts. The ones they have don't have a sheath, but still, that's a heck of a deal. Spring loaded pliers, saw and knife that can be used without opening the handles. If the Philips head blade was a bit better (and the wire cutter a bit better), it'd be near perfect. Think I'll hit the other Home Depot here in town.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Leatherman wingman. Spring loaded pliers and a pocket clip.

Real handy and can be had for $30.

Yep,mine were $29 at Cabela's.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Love my Leatherman Sidekick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been more than happy with my first generation Leatherman. Knife, screw drivers, file, leather punch, pliers, and can/bottle opener. No scissors though and a cork screw would be nice.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Home Depot has the Leatherman Sidekick for $18 each. I just bought 6 of them for Xmas gifts. The ones they have don't have a sheath, but still, that's a heck of a deal. Spring loaded pliers, saw and knife that can be used without opening the handles. If the Philips head blade was a bit better (and the wire cutter a bit better), it'd be near perfect. Think I'll hit the other Home Depot here in town.....

Well, I'll be heading to HD this week.

I currently have a Rebar and the SOG PowerLock and like them both. Oh, and a few SAKs. Adding a SideKick to the mix would be nice.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an original Leatherman PST.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pira114
I've had dozens of cheap and high end multitools. By far, this Victorinox is my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...18540286&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Agreed

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry an early version of the Leatherman Wave, bought it because an earlier leatherman grew legs and walked away! I had this one for 16 years now, along with that I carry a Buck 110, its a replacement for my Puma Duke that I had carried for 40 years and retired, the buck was just till I decided on what I wanted to replace the duke, its been such a good knife I decided that It will do, bought it at Walmart in Washington State back on 2012 on a Cherry Drying contract! You can't beat either for price and durability!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Gerber, SOG, and two Leathermans. I think the Leatherman has the best quality overall and the most flexibility. I have an old basic Leatherman I keep in my shooting bag, and in my truck is a Leatherman Surge.

I keep the SOG in my wife's car, and the Gerber is in a drawer.

Mostly I carry my Swiss Army Knife, but at times I'll strap on the Leatherman.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Well, I'll be heading to HD this week.

I currently have a Rebar and the SOG PowerLock and like them both. Oh, and a few SAKs. Adding a SideKick to the mix would be nice.

These were in the "Xmas gift" section, not the regular tool section. Go on the Home Depot website and put in your zip code to see if your local store has some in stock. Get 'em while they got 'em......

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.