Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife wants a good quality, not expensive knife and a leathernan for Christmas.
There are so many leathermans out there, Im over whelmed.She doesn't want a mini, or a huge, has bits, etc., model.
Something that has scissors, sharp blades, screwdrivers, something to keep in the vehicle to be useful, and be handy for use in her office. No major abuse, in other words.

As for the knife, general use, no pocket clip, non tactical looking, and stays sharp.

Any suggestions for models and makes?

Last edited by splattermatic; 12/13/14.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Gerber, not Leatherman - dunno the model. I just get a cheap one as I have a habit of dropping them out of the boat.

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
small Case folder and if you can find one the original Leatherman would be about perfect

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As for the knife, locking or non locking?
Non locking I would say case sodbuster or sodbuster jr.
Locking I would say any look that you like from Gerber, Kershaw, or Buck.

Multi tool, find an old leatherman supertool in new condition on Ebay. Good tool without all the BS.
http://www.leatherman.com/85.html

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
older Wave. Before they started coming with removable bits.

My youngest has one called the sidekick. it's got nice ergos, low on gadgety frills, just the basics. Maybe search for that one, if they still make it that may fit the bill.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The "Wave". It is the best all around tool, has a great blade and assorted tools that you can really use. I never go anywhere without it. These elk were gutted with it and the saw blade will do the brisket quite easily.

If she doesn't elk hunt, it will still do any job she would want to do with a multi-tool...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
leatherman blast. as multitools go, it is very competent. it is small enough to carry in your pocket and has all the doodads most people need. it can be broken if you try hard but they replace it with no questions asked. i've had one for about 10 years and had it replaced once when i was trying to use it for something it was not designed for. mine is on me all the time.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by splattermatic
My wife wants a good quality, not expensive knife and a leathernan for Christmas.
There are so many leathermans out there, Im over whelmed.She doesn't want a mini, or a huge, has bits, etc., model.
Something that has scissors, sharp blades, screwdrivers, something to keep in the vehicle to be useful, and be handy for use in her office. No major abuse, in other words.

As for the knife, general use, no pocket clip, non tactical looking, and stays sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000...=8-23&keywords=winchester+multi+tool

I've got a bunch of different multi-tools. While not as quality as a Gerber or Leatherman, this one is not too large and has a decent array of features. The one I've got has done a lot of stuff for me and they don't break the bank.

For a knife, I know you said no clip, but...

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-7...386&sr=1-107&keywords=buck+knife

I've had one of these for over a year now. I've got a lot of knives, but this one is really sweet. It can be had for $25 at Walmart if you watch closely and the Winchester multi-tool is $15 at the same place. The Buck is made in USA. The Winchester is China crap, but she won't cry if somebody cops it out of her desk at work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Gerber tool because I can open it with one hand, but it will pinch you if the pliers slip.

CRKT makes good knives.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have em all, but carry a SOG. Was issued to me before my first tour in Iraq, its been on 2 OIF tours and 2 OEF tours, fixed a ton of vehicles and a whole lot of menial tasks as well.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm on my third Leatherman Wave.
I use it for work and have only replaced them as I've worn the blade down from sharpening or broken a blade by abusing it.
Great tool.

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I have em all, but carry a SOG. Was issued to me before my first tour in Iraq, its been on 2 OIF tours and 2 OEF tours, fixed a ton of vehicles and a whole lot of menial tasks as well.
I've got more multi tools than I need now, but if I was in the market for one, I'd consider that assisted opening SOG that's out now pretty strongly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Mark, that almost describes the wave that I carry all the time. However, it does have screw driver bits that reverse (Philips/straight) that are regular size and a miniature set of screw driver bits that also pull out and have a Philips head on one side and a straight blade on the other end. The small set are a good size for eyeglasses. I've even used the scissors a time or 2. I'm looking at my old leatherman supertool (that some guys suggested) right now and I don't see a set of scissors on it anywhere and I know that was one of the things she wants it to have. I use my wave quite a bit at work and around the house..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
splattermatic;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and keeping warm enough.

For a multi tool I've carried an original Leatherman since the '80's and bought a Wave in the early '90's after seeing one that a Wyoming fireman carried - we camping in Cody if memory serves.

Anyway when our girls asked for a multi tool I searched ebay and picked up an original Wave for each of them a couple years back and then bought a new model Wave for our eldest daughter's boyfriend last Christmas.

The new one isn't that bad actually and some refinement does address some of the loosening up issues my original Wave has.

The originals are US made and I'm not sure about the newer ones - sorry.

For a knife that holds an edge I can recommend any US made Buck that has been heat treated by Paul Bos. Whatever they do to S30V just flat out works.

Hopefully that was useful information to you or someone out there this morning. All the best to you this Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New SOG�Last one was replaced free of charge (after many years of use the plier jaw snapped under load). I always carry a Cold Steel folder, I think they hold up pretty well, come in a lot of different blade types, sizes and they are running sales right now for Christmas.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found a wave on ebay that's a package deal with a micarta, that I could use for fishing.

We'll see how bidding goes!

I think Im going to look for a "prince" knife.IIRC, Buck makes it.
Had one for years, carried it all over the world, but alas, it disappeared one day... No idea where it went.

Last edited by splattermatic; 12/13/14.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
older Wave. Before they started coming with removable bits.

My youngest has one called the sidekick. it's got nice ergos, low on gadgety frills, just the basics. Maybe search for that one, if they still make it that may fit the bill.

oops, I was wrong about the name of that one. it's a "wingman" not a sidekick.
I think sidekick is a little bity one we might have got one of the kids years ago.

Wingman is on the right of photo with a beat up wave to the left that belongs to my oldest son.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carry a Wave (and use it) everyday at work but it's too bulky for non-work EDC. I don't want to carry a sheath on my belt. However, if your wife is leaving it in the vehicle that's not a big obstacle.

My EDC Leatherman is the Skeletool and I can't recommend it highly enough. Has everything you need (especially the beer opener!) and nothng you don't. I've got the model wih the 154 CM steel blade. Awesome little tool. (BTW, they're on sale at our local Sportsmans Warehouse--don't know if that's true at all of them).

For a small useful knife it's hard to beat a little folder from GEC. A ton of models and styles to choose from, as well.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
IIRC a previous fire thread showed Gerber to have become liberal anti gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Original Leatherman.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.