Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Considering changing up my pad configuration and wondering about doubling up pads.

Specifically, I like to take a cut down a thermarest z pad for sitting/glassing during the day. I am wondering if I were to use the z in combination with an insulated inflatable would the R value effectively increase to the addition of the two R values to one combined new value or is there some R value efficiency lost.

Also, if stacking them what is the experience with putting the Z pad on top of or underneath the inflatable, again assuming that the z is cut down to torso length only.

Thanks for the replies.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't think you can double it but you'll certainly have more insulation. But my body can only tell warm or not, it doesn't do R values. I use my Z-rest under for protection of the inflatable when I do both, though I believe folks saying on top is warmer. I also really like one of the fitted sheets on top of my inflatable when every ounce doesn't count so that also influences why I put the Z under.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use Exped 's Multi Mat underneath my Neo Air for protection, handy piece of gear. You can use it for blanket, tarp, pad, ect.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/multimat

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sawtoothsteve
Considering changing up my pad configuration and wondering about doubling up pads.

Specifically, I like to take a cut down a thermarest z pad for sitting/glassing during the day. I am wondering if I were to use the z in combination with an insulated inflatable would the R value effectively increase to the addition of the two R values to one combined new value or is there some R value efficiency lost.

Also, if stacking them what is the experience with putting the Z pad on top of or underneath the inflatable, again assuming that the z is cut down to torso length only.

Thanks for the replies.

I've stacked pads & air mattresses both ways and can't tell a difference in warmth. Putting the pad on the bottom will protect the air mattress from sharp stuff on the ground. Even if there's nothing sharp enough to puncture it, a rock or stick can put pressure on a seam that can weaken it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

1/4" Evazote over a Neoair is my preferred setup, trimmed to fit my size L Neoair.

It's to bad our local Prolite.com went belly-up as that was the best US source for Evazote I knew of. However, Gossamer Gear has them, albeit in shorter lengths.

I put the Evazote OVER the inflatable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sawtooth:

Inside a wall of a building "R" values of building insulation are cumulative on a 1:1 ratio; R1 + R2 + R3 + Rn = RT.

The Thermarest NeoAir and the Big Agness Insulated Air Core mattresses are both filled with down so they provide insulation and they have kept me warm sleeping in a tent on the ground and also sleeping on a cot, in single digit temps. So IMO you don't need the foam pad to keep warm.

However, I do just what you are considering. I sit on half a foam pad during the day and I put it under my air mattress at night. If you lean on your elbow it will go through the air mattress and hit the hard ground below making for sore elbow. This problem is alleviated by putting the foam pad under the air mattress.

Another reason that I use the foam pad is, like Rock Chuck said, to protect the air mattress and hopefully prevent leaks.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Brad
http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-insulation-pads.html

I put the Evazote OVER the inflatable.

I'll bet you wear your underwear on the outside of your pants.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ha, thought mtn. men didn't wear underwear shocked

Thank all for the reply. I do well in the day, but don't sleep real warm so have been using the exped downmat 9. Great warmth, but real heavy. Thinking about the neoair extherm and z rest. Together they would be same R value, and I would save considerable weight and space.

Thanks again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reason I like the thin evazote on top is it keeps me from slipping around... I doubt you could go wrong with either method.

On top has always worked for me and I've not gotten cold spots in sub freezing weather, whereas with just the neoair alone (no foam pad), I do get cold spots in sub freezing weather.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

The Thermarest NeoAir and the Big Agness Insulated Air Core mattresses are both filled with down

Neoair is not down filled.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Neither is the BA IAC. They use Primaloft Silver HiLoft insulation.

Ed T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4321

I'll bet you wear your underwear on the outside of your pants.

Ok, just figured out this is "Take A Knee"... funny, I've never had to change names on this forum like you, in spite of being one of the "original" members going on 15 years.

As to underwear, nope. I wear them inside... and I can get any Kimber Montana shooting (I've had 16 of them), including my current 7-08.

Apparently something you can't say with your sample of one grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's a viable tactic. I prefer to put the closed cell pad on the bottom--just the way I like it comfort-wise. As far as calculating r-values it may be additive in a vaccuum, but there is a lot going on in terms of both conduction and convection that is different nearly every time you go backpacking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
It's a viable tactic. I prefer to put the closed cell pad on the bottom--just the way I like it comfort-wise. As far as calculating r-values it may be additive in a vaccuum, but there is a lot going on in terms of both conduction and convection that is different nearly every time you go backpacking.

Yup, no two types of pads are constructed the same. Each requires a different approach. Experiment, and find what works.

Next time I'm out I'll try the Evazote UNDER the Neoair, just to see...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Z-lite and a NeoAir as a combo and am very fond of it.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tanner, I used the Z-Lite and Ridgerest with my Neoair. A solid choice. Just found for warmer than sub zero conditions the Evazote worked as well and with less weight and bulk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Consider using a bivy sac for additional benefits.

Another out-of-the-box option is to use Refletix. I've used it on the ceiling of a popup ice fishing shelter. No reason it wouldn't work as a cost effect method to increase the R-value of a sleeping pad. Comes in various sizes and is very thin (i.e. lite weight).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...Insulation-BP48025/100052556?N=5yc1vZ19n

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by sawtoothsteve

Thanks for the replies.

I do the same thing, a trimmed down Z for sitting / glassing and then slip it under my inflatable at night. Can't say for sure how much insulation is gained, but it works well enough for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Having owned 16 Kimber Montanas puts you into super-tard territory. That ain't something rational people bring up, even if it is true.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
While a long way from 16. I have had 6 Kimbers a d all but one were very good shooters.
How you liking the 7mm08 Brad?
That might be my next.

Ed T

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,457 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.