Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by DINK
Since 1990's gun magazines have really went down hill. I really believe that most don't shoot/hunt much unless it's a company event. Even Barsness wrote much better articles in the 1990's than he does today.

Dink

My opinion exactly. I don't subscribe to any of them anymore. Occasionally I'll glance through one on the newsstand and always put them down in disgust.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
BP-B6

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I sure hope they included a tube of Vagisil with the magazine for all the pussy hurt Winchester bitches.

Sweet Jesus, what a bunch of chicks.

LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by swampshooter
Since 1990's gun magazines have really went down hill. I really believe that most don't shoot/hunt much unless it's a company event. Even Barsness wrote much better articles in the 1990's than he does today.

Dink

My opinion exactly. I don't subscribe to any of them anymore. Occasionally I'll glance through one on the newsstand and always put them down in disgust.

I have not bought a gun rag except rifle and handloader in the last couple of years. This was a gift , I 'll make sure the subscription envelopes get shredded in the future.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From what I have read on the Campfire, the toughest rifle of all time is the box stock Ruger M77MkII in the skeleton stock. Get it chambered in the 30-06 and the world better get out of your way. Grizzlies, Moose, Eland and Elk just surrender and help you pack them out before they die. Do a special on the Skeleton Ruger, to include some real hunting adventures, and I will buy that next copy of Rifle or Handloader...

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dogger
From what I have read on the Campfire, the toughest rifle of all time is the box stock Ruger M77MkII in the skeleton stock. Get it chambered in the 30-06 and the world better get out of your way. Grizzlies, Moose, Eland and Elk just surrender and help you pack them out before they die. Do a special on the Skeleton Ruger, to include some real hunting adventures, and I will buy that next copy of Rifle or Handloader...

Yes sir and have you noticed how much they are selling for these days on GB?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
yes... i wish i bought one new in Hinesville GA in 1993 when I had the chance... I had it in my hands...

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dogger
yes... i wish i bought one new in Hinesville GA in 1993 when I had the chance... I had it in my hands...

I nearly beat a co-worker to death about 5 years ago when he told me he got 275 for a skeleton stock 7 rem mag at the local gunshow. Sweet Jesus

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I searched my soul and could never find anything redeeming about those stocks. Good grief, they were homely and felt like you were taking haymakers when you shot them.

But they sure were tough! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I searched my soul and could never find anything redeeming about those stocks. Good grief, they were homely and felt like you were taking haymakers when you shot them.

But they sure were tough! grin

They made a hell of a paddle . I have not seen one in 5 years since the co-worker sold his at the gunshow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Ruger ring system is an absolutely great design for a hunting rifle, returning to zero easily when switching scopes; and losing zero seldom. I don't care if a tapered ring/base design isn't available, as there are plenty of scopes made with more than enough travel to get a person out further than they have any business shooting at big game anyway.

The angled front screw works well; heck I have had a bunch of Rugers that needed no bedding.

Ruger makes the 77/22 to go along with the MK II/Hawkeye as a trainer rifle. A small bolt face model is also readily available, for a 223 companion to one's "big game" rifle.

The Ruger is a great hunting rifle design. Pre 64s are nice, but I'll take a Ruger every day.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
prairie goat;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and acceptably warm.

One thing that JB has written about often is that the gas venting in the pre '64's isn't the best out there, though I've got to say right here I've never had a case fail in one I was shooting to test that.

I have however had a complete case failure in a Liberty Model 77 - long story that involved throwing out 6lb of powder that went "off" - but anyway the 77 kept all the gas away from my face which was a nice bonus.

Overall I've been very satisfied with the Ruger firearms we've owned/still own and would recommend them as a good value.

All the best to you this Christmas season sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The Ruger ring system is an absolutely great design for a hunting rifle, returning to zero easily when switching scopes; and losing zero seldom. I don't care if a tapered ring/base design isn't available, as there are plenty of scopes made with more than enough travel to get a person out further than they have any business shooting at big game anyway.

The angled front screw works well; heck I have had a bunch of Rugers that needed no bedding.

Ruger makes the 77/22 to go along with the MK II/Hawkeye as a trainer rifle. A small bolt face model is also readily available, for a 223 companion to one's "big game" rifle.

The Ruger is a great hunting rifle design. Pre 64s are nice, but I'll take a Ruger every day.

Don't think anyone is disputing that Ruger is not a nice rifle, purpose of the thread to point how stupid it is to compare a rifle built in 1948 with current production . I don't see the purpose of the thread other then to diminish 1948 70's and sell a bunch of new Rugers. Oh wait it is a useless gun magazine grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Comparing an 80 year-old design that's been out of production for 50 years to a modern rifle with the idea of declaring a "winner"....

To quote a line from " The Argument Clinic"' "what a stupid concept!"

The question is, did he dream this up himself, or was it assigned by his numbnuts editor or the ad boys?

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The comparison was the most pathetic excuse for an article that I have read in a long time. He had to really slant things to come up with that one. As far as one being better than the other - they both work, the points he made were all debatable at the very best.

I have been subscribing to this particular magazine because it was such an inexpensive subscription - guess I got what I paid for in this instance. No more subscription to it when this one expires.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Comparing an 80 year-old design that's been out of production for 50 years to a modern rifle with the idea of declaring a "winner"....

The question is, did he dream this up himself, or was it assigned by his numbnuts editor or the ad boys?

These magazines have completely lost relevance just crazy content that no one wants to read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get those $10 offers all the time. I used to bite once and a while, but no more. Most went in the dumper almost as fast as the Cheaper Than
Dirt catalogs.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree about the comparison. Comparing the 77 to the pre64 is valid, in that some think the Winchester the only rifle ever built, or ever to be built. Kinda how the 30-06 is used as a baseline for so many comparisons. Did not see the article, but I started a thread recently about Rifle mag and how all the mags keep getting weaker and weaker.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since 1990's gun magazines have really went down hill.

Especially the paper the magazine's use now. Hell, some of it isn't much thicker than toilet paper.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

These magazines have completely lost relevance just crazy content that no one wants to read.

This.

I have seen bull barrel varmint rifles tested at 50 yards for accuracy. If a "gun writer" can't find a 100 yard range to shoot at he should not be a Gun writer.

I even seen a article recently written about a certain cartridge (I can't remember which one. It was that good). In the article several pics were posted of dead animals shot with different cartridges. The author stated that since the cartridge being written about was similar to the cartridges that killed all the animals, the cartridge being written about was just as good. I guess if you don't have any dead pics with certain cartridge it's just as good as others that you do have dead animal pics with....lol

I guess the only way to Change it is lots and lots of cancelled subscriptions.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I disagree about the comparison. Comparing the 77 to the pre64 is valid, in that some think the Winchester the only rifle ever built, or ever to be built. Kinda how the 30-06 is used as a baseline for so many comparisons. Did not see the article, but I started a thread recently about Rifle mag and how all the mags keep getting weaker and weaker.

I think that most of the pre-64 crowd, myself included, are well aware of the shortcomings of our baby, but feel that the strong points far outweigh them. I keep my loads a grain or so under max to avoid "adventures in excess pressure", but also for better brass life and to take it easy on that fine, cut-rifled barrel. The weight and low-comb stock I'm used to. My rifle is nearly 65, and hopefully my 5 year old grandson will use it when he's an old, fat man like me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.