Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 79inpa
just seeing whether a single shot rifle would be more accurate than a lever gun or a ruger bolt gun.

There are different lever guns and different bolt guns. I would say Contenders generally can be made to shoot better than the majority of lever guns and a lot of bolt guns.

You also have to understand cartridge limitations. Take a 17 HMR for instance. Groups could easily be in the half inch range at 50 yards and more like 10 feet at 400 yards. It's hard to get things like the 44 Remington Magnum to shoot consistently under an inch at 100 yards but easy with a 204 Ruger.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
At present I have 3 Contender Carbine barrels. The .22 K Hornet shoots well under MOA with preferred hand loads. The 7-30 Waters is still in the load development/case forming stage, but it is giving 3/4 inch groups with case forming loads. The .30-30 AI is also sub MOA with several hand loads.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
whoa. Just stop right there. No 18" pistol barrels. That's illegal. I'm not sure where to take this so I'l leave it to others to comment.

Is that specific to your state or the OP's state? If not, please show me a USC or CFR reference that validates your claim. Here's how USC Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 Section 921 defines "handgun:"

(29) The term �handgun� means�
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

CFR Title 27 Chapter II Subchapter B Part 478 Subpart B Section 478.11 defines handgun the same way. The CFR also defines "pistol," "revolver," and "semiautomatic pistol," but there's no reference to maximum barrel length in the USC or CFR to my knowledge:

Pistol
A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Revolver
A projectile weapon, of the pistol type, having a breechloading chambered cylinder so arranged that the cocking of the hammer or movement of the trigger rotates it and brings the next cartridge in line with the barrel for firing.

Semiautomatic pistol.
Any repeating pistol which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

Again, I'm unaware of any USC or CFR guidelines related to maximum barrel length of a "pistol" as you referenced. Please show me the language here or provide me a link.

Last edited by BlueK9; 12/13/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's hard to get things like the 44 Remington Magnum to shoot consistently under an inch at 100 yards but easy with a 204 Ruger.

I beg to differ. The cartridge is fully capable of sub MOA precision. The gun and/or shooter may not be. Were I inclined to purchase a .44 barrel for the Contender I'd be gravely disappointed if it did not run under an inch at 100 yards.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,164 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.