Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
Those have good handling characteristics. Good luck with the face basher, amigo.

I have 338 wsm on a stainless classic featherweight you be surprised how the recoil is no face slapping as you put it. I getting over 2800 fps with a 225gr accubond out of a 22 1/2in barrel

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, seems like some of us got the bug for some reason. Who know's why??? The name "Alaskan" makes it sound cool. Personally I really like the cartridge. When you say elk rifle around here, guys just automatically think you said "338"... grin

Can't see anything wrong with that... grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Razz
My current 338 likes 210 Partitions pushed by RL19, need to check my records but 79 grains is in my head. 2 elk, 1 mulie and a couple whitetais didn't like the load much though. Was going to go over my other loads and targets to see what else looked promising. My load development for the gun was back about 12 years ago so I need to look over my data. Have some 225's I'll try too. What so you like in yours?

That's my favorite load as well, I use a little less RL19, but still run up a touch over 3000. Awesome load!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back in the day, I tried RL 19 and some 225gr. Hornady interlocks. All I can say is OUCH!!!!! grin. I'd be willing to try that powder again with the 210 partitions though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pussy. smile

Shooting the .460 WBY Mag just once made me develop a flinch.

In fact the .416 Rigby was decidedly pleasant by comparison.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting 210gr or 225gr bullets out of .338 magnum makes about as much sense as shooting 150s out of .300 magnum. It appears some of you should have chosen .300 magnum instead and use 200 grain projectiles of good shape and ballistic coefficient. Unless one likes 250s I don't see much use for .338 magnum.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal
Pussy. smile

Shooting the .460 WBY Mag just once made me develop a flinch.

In fact the .416 Rigby was decidedly pleasant by comparison.

I flinch, just thinking about that one... cry sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

338:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you discount the fliers they're pretty good groups. smile

That is really good shooting just like Russian sniper using 9.3x64 with match grade ammo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shooting 210gr or 225gr bullets out of .338 magnum makes about as much sense as shooting 150s out of .300 magnum. It appears some of you should have chosen .300 magnum instead and use 200 grain projectiles of good shape and ballistic coefficient. Unless one likes 250s I don't see much use for .338 magnum.

I don't understand? Why doesn't it make sense? Is there any negative to it? If your not reaching out to 600 yard plus sorta range, I haven't found any downfalls to the 210 PT being ran fast outta a 338 Win Mag. While it may give up a little BC to a 200 PT out of a 300 Win Mag, there isn't much difference. Plus, that 210 PT will penetrate as well as any regular cup and core 250 I've seen. 225's just make it more better'er..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I don't understand? Why doesn't it make sense? Is there any negative to it? If your not reaching out to 600 yard plus sorta range, I haven't found any downfalls to the 210 PT being ran fast outta a 338 Win Mag. While it may give up a little BC to a 200 PT out of a 300 Win Mag, there isn't much difference. Plus, that 210 PT will penetrate as well as any regular cup and core 250 I've seen. 225's just make it more better'er..

I'll agree with scotty. However, I do also love me some 250 gr sierra gamekings. They have a decent bc and knock the hell outa elk. I've seen it first hand. For the longest time, that's the only bullet I'd use. I just about tried them all and made the decision to run just 1 bullet in my 338's and the 250 GK was the one I decided on. My elk hunting partner only uses the sierra in his 338 too. Lately, I've been messing with my Alaskan and ran a cross an excellent deal on about 400 Hornady 225gr interlocks and that's what I've been using. The sierra 250's have been damn hard to find for the last couple years, so I'm running the Hornadies until they are gone and the sierra 250's become more available..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good info BSA and Beretzs, thanks. I settled on the 210's because they were accurate and had performed well for my hunting partner, and saw the same in my use. I've used the Spire Points in a different cal and weight and had great results on deer with them. For my new arrival, yes it is here, I'll be looking at some bullet options but I'll admit that I like partitions. And to me, the mental confidence factor plays a part.
Oh, I verified my load, it is 76.5 gr Rl-19, avg 2955 fps.

BSA, the action checks out and has the 458 inscription just like you noted. Thanks! Will get some pictures this weekend.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds awesome Razz. I look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about it. I'm like Scotty in the fact that the 338 Alaskan is one of my favorites!!!

BSA MAGA
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well she is here and I got some more pictures before I start into it.
My gunsmith checked it out when he took delivery, headspace, safety and trigger are all good. All the numbers match up, including 458 on the recoil lug. The stock is in good shape, no cracks just some obvious wear to the finish as can be seen in the photos. The bore is great, I ran a few patches to clean out the cobwebs and dust then soaked it for a bit with 2 different cleaners and absolutely no evidence of copper.

Since I do intend this one for hunting I will be refinishing the stock and glass bedding it. I intend to put a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 on it. After reading some posts and looking at pictures I am thinking about Leupold DD's and low rings, unless you all have a better idea. I also have a Leupold 3x9 40 I could use, but for some reason the 2.5x8 is calling me.

Once the holidays are over it will be time for some stock work and load development, elk season is only 10 months away!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/bufflerrazz/P1010221_zpsa368b22a.jpg[/img]

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's a lot of cool factor in the Alaskan. It looks like you got a very good one. I like it. On your choice of scope (2.5-8x36), you'll more than likely need a set of extended bases or rings because of its short tube length. The 2.5-8x36 is a scope that calls to me as well, just be mindful of the difficulties you may have in mounting it on a long action like the pre 64. The 3-9x40 is going to be much more flexible in this regard. Keep us posted on your progress, what you end up doing as far as scopes, and how it shoots. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Razz
I intend to put a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 on it. After reading some posts and looking at pictures I am thinking about Leupold DD's and low rings, unless you all have a better idea. I also have a Leupold 3x9 40 I could use, but for some reason the 2.5x8 is calling me.

Razz, I looked and found this post by 1911a1 and I really like the looks of the control rings/bases. The same style would fit your 338 and the 2.5-8x36mm very nicely. They offer more lateral adjustment than the Leupold DD's. However, the leupold DD's are less expensive and would look and fit perfectly with the leupold 3-9x40 you mentioned. Take a look at 1911's rifles:

Originally Posted by 1911a1
Local D,
I've only used 3x9 and 2.5x8 leupolds in Conetrol and Redfield two piece mounts on pre 64's. I do have leupold duel dovetails on a late '90's vintage 300 win. stainless wood stock fwt. I like those mounts also.
I would like to try the latest vx2 in 2x7 and see how i'd like it on a FWT.

[Linked Image]
'61 30/06 FWT w/ 3x9 and Conetrols

[Linked Image]
'61 270 FWT w/ 2.5x8 and Conetrols

[Linked Image]
'57 270 standard rifle w/ 3x9 and two piece Redfields.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice rifle Razz.. Love them Alaskan's..

Good luck with it and hope it shoots. The load you mentioned is the same one I run with the 200 AB as well. Another great shooting bullet in my Alaskan. I do like the PT though. Seriouly awesome bullet in the 338 Win Mag.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If that rifle could talk.........

It would have a ton of cool stories.

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BSA..cool beans, thanks! Will look into the mounts, for a few extra bucks I am not going to cry. After all, my kids intend to inherit them..SOMEDAY! They can get it in $ or in goodies.

Beret. Thanks for the info / confirmation.

pre6422: I'll bet, I have an 1886 in 40/82 from 1890 that I would really love to hear from.I seem to have heard you recently moved to NM and may be going cow hunting? We are a big state, #5 in area, what part are you in? Are you familiar with areas, etc? Shoot me a PM and I can share what I know.

Last edited by Razz; 12/15/14.

Razz
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (338reddog, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.