Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As a general hunting scope for open country, which reticle?

They all look foreign to me so advice is appreciated smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A night force Bob....Really?? grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Iave a NF 2- 10x32 with the MOAR ret. hunted with it in the fields and woods this past Nov in ND. Very user friendly. My next NF will be the 42mm model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about the IHR

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A night force Bob....Really?? grin

bsa: I have "parts" hanging around for a 7mm magnum...Classic action, Brux#2,and Borden RR stock.

Thinking this could be a decent hunting rifle with a turret scope and I would not mind playing with one. Anyway i have not yet decided but am tossing all this around in my head. Wanted some learned opinions. smile

Sako I was thinking the IHR myself....looks very simple.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, I think it would be cool. I've seen and looked through a couple. Extremely nice optics and strong as hell. I'd love to hear how one works out for you if you go that route. Your build sounds great..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Bob,

If you're going to play around with it a bit, then get the reticle to match the turrets (at least at 10 power), either the MOAR or the MIL-R depending on which set of units you prefer.

This scope has its share of fans, however IMO the exposed windage turret and the SFP design limit it as a hunting scope. I just don't find it versatile, or idiot proof enough for a hunting scope.

Might consider the Bushnell LRHS instead. It has a capped windage turret and FFP reticle that matches the elevation turret. The reticle is pretty fine, even at high power and it's MIL based. I'd prefer the main crosshair to be about 50% thicker and the donut eliminated. The thickness christmas tree matrix is about right.

Again, this is just my opinion/recommendation. As you know, others will differ. Good luck.

Louis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your paying for mechanics with NF. They gather light very poorly. I bought a Dmr and can't believe how good it really is. I like it much more than my NF's. S&B pm2 for the best.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/13/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Your paying for mechanics with NF. They gather light very poorly. S&B pm2 for the best.

+1

I've compared my 10X42 S&B PMII to several NF models including the NF 2-10X42. I thought the NF glass was only slightly better than Leupold's. NFs are repeatable though, but so are Schmidts.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Your paying for mechanics with NF. They gather light very poorly.

My shooting partner has a NF and I've heard the same from him. I've only used his during the day for target shooting, but I've been with him on an afternoon hunt or two. He has a Swaro on his other long range rig. He always complains about brightness of the NF where the Swaro is incredible in that regard.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your paying for mechanics with NF. They gather light very poorly. I bought a Dmr and can't believe how good it really is. I like it much more than my NF's. S&B pm2 for the best.

LBJ/Rick: Thanks for comparing and contrasting. Just saying to Skane I am torn between one of these and the Schmidt.

Rick what is "Dmr"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob if Not for short ranges that,10x42 pmII is a nice one

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: rickmenefee

LBJ/Rick: Thanks for comparing and contrasting. Just saying to Skane I am torn between one of these and the Schmidt.

Rick what is "Dmr"?

This does not match my experience in side by side comparisons when Nightforce was one of the scopes. So far nothing I have compared with a Nightforce was as good optically whether good light or low light. My exposure to Nightforce has been a 12-42X56 and a 5.5-22X56. To me they are smoking good stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to go wrong with either! I understand the new x42 model includes NF's most updated glass coatings. If working within a budget and making compromises, I'd surely sacrifice some optical brightness for mechanics. If there is no budget, S&B is tough to beat.

Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 3.5-21x50.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan,

We're spending Bob's money here - S&B it is. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

Originally Posted By: rickmenefee

Rick what is "Dmr"?

This does not match my experience in side by side comparisons when Nightforce was one of the scopes. So far nothing I have compared with a Nightforce was as good optically whether good light or low light. My exposure to Nightforce has been a 12-42X56 and a 5.5-22X56. To me they are smoking good stuff.
I have two 5.5- 22-56. I think they are a great scope. For my eye' s the DMR is better. It's not a pm2 but it's 1/2 price.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/13/14.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The MOAR reticle is too fine and no one that I am around that has used both prefers it over the standard mil dot for hunting.

If you're getting a NF then get a reticle that offers something for wind. The IHR shouldn't even rate a consideration. I all but hate a standard Mil dot, but it is the best choice for hunting in a compact NF.

S&B makes nothing comparable to the 2.5-10x. NF, and the 42mm has excellent glass. Glass quality is almost purely subjective and has much more to do with personal bias than anything else. Manufacturers KNOW the exact properties of their glass. In any case it's a silly reason to choose a scope, and is generally the purview of amateurs.

S&B's are not what they were with regards to durability and reliability, and are not the "best". There are a whole bunch of military shooters not using their 4k issued S&B's. Despite what some think- zero retention and reliability matter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The MOAR reticle is too fine and no one that I am around that has used both prefers it over the standard mil dot for hunting.

If you're getting a NF then get a reticle that offers something for wind. The IHR shouldn't even rate a consideration. I all but hate a standard Mil dot, but it is the best choice for hunting in a compact NF.

S&B makes nothing comparable to the 2.5-10x. NF, and the 42mm has excellent glass. Glass quality is almost purely subjective and has much more to do with personal bias than anything else. Manufacturers KNOW the exact properties of their glass. In any case it's a silly reason to choose a scope, and is generally the purview of amateurs.

S&B's are not what they were with regards to durability and reliability, and are not the "best". There are a whole bunch of military shooters not using their 4k issued S&B's. Despite what some think- zero retention and reliability matter.

What is the best? I'm interested

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I checked the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 3.5-21x50. Weight: 35.2oz/998g That is the same neighborhood as the big Nightforce.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

BS....you think you know a lot more than you really do. One of my best friends is a Special Forces Sniper Instructor who has been deployed all over the world. His go to scope on his work rifle is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. I run the same scope on my work rifle, and have for the past six years,(three barrels)without any POI change through all kinds of climatic conditions, from 40*F below to 110*F. And as far as glass quality not making a difference, I disagree completely, the better you can see, the better you can shoot....anyone knows that. Would you rather have 20-15 vision, or 20-20 vision?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.