Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can I pick up any accuracy with an aftermarket barrel? Mine shoots premium ammo well but the WWB. Fed bulk, FM 115 FMJ stuff is about a 5" group at 60 feet....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not likely, A Glock should shoot much better than that. Is that from a two point rest?

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Daveh
Can I pick up any accuracy with an aftermarket barrel? Mine shoots premium ammo well but the WWB. Fed bulk, FM 115 FMJ stuff is about a 5" group at 60 feet....

I figured if you just re-read this, you'd figure out the answer.

The only reason to replace the barrel on a Glock is if you want to shoot only cast bullets, and some would say that with a 9mm Glock, even that isn't necessary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the problem I have at that sort of distance is making out exactly where the front site is on the target. I can shoot ragged holes at 10 yards, which means my shots should be close to touching at 20 if I was capable enough at shooting the gun.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
4321 - I thought possibly a AM barrel may help with plinker loads.

HG- For this I grip the pistol RH'd with LH cupped under and both resting on cushioned bench.

CC - I too have a little trouble as my eyes aren't 20 anymore...53 but only use reading glasses on occasion.

At Our range the next closest target setup is like 20ft. Seems way close for accuracy testing.

I am sure most of this is me....

I will quit asking stupid questions until I have several thousand rds down range....

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
To wring the ultimate accuracy sit at a solid bench. Try a two handed grip but rest the butt on a sand bag and another bag under the muzzle. Pin it down good. Spend some time taking up the trigger and focus on those sights like your life depended on it. Equal height, equal light. Let the target blur out and keep those perfectly aligned sights centered on the blur.

With any Glock 17,19, 22, 23, 20, 31, 32, 34,35 I guarantee I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards almost every time with any American made factory ammo. If I had my 21 year old eyes back it would be groups on that plate. Now I feel pretty good just hitting one. It's amazing what a stock Glock can really do.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HiredGun
It's amazing what a stock Glock can really do.

Most XDm's and M&P's will smoke anything Glock ever made accuracy-wise. A quick perusal of what wins at the Bianchi Cup will confirm this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if the helps,but I have a Storm Lake conversion bbl for my 23/40SW to 9mm,shoots better than the stock bbl and better then my 19 and it shoots cast bullets....?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4321

I figured if you just re-read this, you'd figure out the answer.

The only reason to replace the barrel on a Glock is if you want to shoot only cast bullets, and some would say that with a 9mm Glock, even that isn't necessary.

I agree with these guys.

First thing to look at, as has been mentioned, is having someone else shoot your gun and see how it performs with the same ammo that you used. Although I'm sure it's unlikely it could be you as the shooter need some more practice.

I have some Glocks that will shoot lead cast bullets in reloads just fine and others that lead up the barrel like crazy. Those that leaded up, I replaced the barrels with KKM and did see a slight increase in accuracy with both lead and FMJ/plated bullets. I would stay away from Lone Wolf barrels and for the reasons see a search of those barrels on this site.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If the barrel is fit correctly then you can expect an accuracy increase. I�ve never been a fan of polygonal rifling; it makes sense for military service, but it�s generally not an accuracy enhancement. So a conventionally rifled barrel that�s fit to the gun right should improve accuracy. Most often the best increase in accuracy can be had by lightening the trigger pull.

But you generally don�t buy a Glock because you want a target gun, it�s because you want a stone reliable combat gun.

IC B3

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to keep the Glock 19 as a SD weapon and buying a HK VP9 for range and to take on road trips

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up the VP9 and at 60ft I can keep 5 shots of cheap ammo in 1.5-2" off an impromptu rest. She is a keeper....

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dead center of the bull right outta the box....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.