Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9418855 12/13/14
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In a Sako 75. Contemplating a purchase for long range hunting and fun shooting. I'm a sucker for pretty wood and I like the wood on the rifle, but wondered if anyone has experience with this model in 7 STW. I don't know the twist, but barrel is 26".

Help a rookie out. What do you think, could I get my feet wet with one?

LOL
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
John Burns started out with one, then went 7rem/mag, then 264mag. YMMV. I would say 7SAUM if someone started making brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fireball2,

If you like the wood, go for it. I fired G.S.Custom 130 HV in my 7STW with a 28" barrel. About 1" groups at 300 yards with a Klienguenther K15.

I had it rechambered to 7RUM when that cartridge came out and gained a whopping .....................................................................................................................................

...........25 feet per second!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
FB, I think it's well known that I'm a fan on the STW.

I've had excellent luck with 160gr NAB and WC860.

I have 400 of the new 168gr LRAB's that are waiting for a workout this spring.

I like my STW's with long barrels and brakes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What scope will I need to spin on this one?

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well let's see. Someone suggested the new Leupold 7-42X for me, but my rifle it is too light for that. Since you are going with beautiful wood maybe you could go for it.

P.S. I made a 34mm lapping bar about 15" long to lap the Talleys when the action gets here. You are welcome to use it for those monster rings you will need.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The HubbleScope. grin

I want to spin dials with this rig, for the fun of it. And I don't want to have problems returning to zero!

LOL
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I'm running a Leupold 6.5x20. Clear glass and repeatable dials are more important then magnification. Just because you are set up for a thousand yards, doesn't mean every shot will be that far, so make sure your scope has a usable low end.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed. I use low power Leupolds on everything and find the higher powers just add weight and don't come into play often. BUT, this rifle would be different than all my others, so I need some insight.

I realize it's not a custom rifle with lots of gunsmiths names attached to the title, but is there any reason it won't shoot long that you guys can see?

LOL
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
My STW started as an out of the box Winchester Model 70 Classic. Once I found the right combo it would shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I went fancy after I shot out the barrel. If your Sako shoots as well as my wifes Tikka, you are more then covered in the accuracy dept.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got 4 STWS, two M70s with Gaillard barrels, a Sako 75 with 26" Gaillard barrel and a Cooper Western Classic. A friend uses a Sako 75 Synthetic as his only hunting rifle and its a shooter.

Where I live a 7mm STW is considered an ordinary rifle, anyone who would be considered an enthusiast likely has or has had one. Mine are set up as 0-700 sporters and I have a 4.5-14 CDS on one, A 4.5-14 LR with B&C on one, a 4.5-14 Mark 4 on another and the last one has a 3-9 Zeiss that will get replaced one of these days. Through an odd twist of fate 3 out of 4 are using the same bullet, the 160 Accubond.

Friends that have went the long range, 28" heavy barrel 180 grain VLD route seem to have settled on 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 Mark 4s.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's official. smile Hopefully you guys can walk me through this new cartridge. Gun, dies and brass all in the works. Will be working on bullets next. Scope and rings to follow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Pretty wood, I think you will be pleased with the cartridge and the rifle.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it shoots like it looks it will be great.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FB2, congrats thats one Beauty a better factory rifle you cant buy imho!

glass her with the best you can afford and feed her well and she,ll take good care of you!!!!

the md 75 is Legend, Long may she hunt the woods and fields and fly from Mountain top to Vast Valleys,waundering the Great Tundras always held close ready to continue our Fair chase ,as long as we're able to carry her!

yes i confess,i too own 1 legend a 75 ss/synth in STW no less regards

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What a handsome rifle! Nice get. I agree with Ringman: if it shoots like it looks, it will be great. Merry Christmas!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great wood for a factory stock.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'd be looking at the VX-6 3-18. I'd get the CDS in MOA or yardage for the best load if I was going to stick with just one.

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I'd be looking at the VX-6 3-18. I'd get the CDS in MOA or yardage for the best load if I was going to stick with just one.

DF

While some may question the repeatability of the VX-6, this is some great advise. I'd just verify often enough to have confidence and rock and roll!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
VX-6 glass is wonderful. It's not a target scope, just a hunting scope. Even with CDS, how much is it gonna get twisted?

The VX-6 Duplex is one of the best, IMO.

And, it costs half or less than an Alpha Euro. If it develops a problem, CS is world class, although it can be aggravating having to send one back.

I've sent more Swaro and Kahles rifle scopes back for problems than Leupolds. They mostly went back for reticle change, CDS fitting, etc.

DF

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
VX-6 glass is wonderful. It's not a target scope, just a hunting scope. Even with CDS, how much is it gonna get twisted?

And, it costs half or less than an Alpha Euro. If it develops a problem, CS is world class, although it can be aggravating having to send one back.

I've sent more Swaro and Kahles rifle scopes back for problems than Leupolds. They mostly went back for reticle change, CDS fitting, etc.

DF

I believe that.

That's why so many of my scopes where the gold ring.

FB, very nice looking rifle.

Pat has WC860 in stock for under $9.00 a pound. It is my GOTO powder for the STW.
http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx

It requires hot primers, and a full case, think FED215 or REM 9 1/2.

Watch the Nosler Proshop for the 160gr NAB seconds. That's about all I feed mine, but you might have to try the 168gr LRAB's while they have the seconds in stock.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...nd-long-range-7mm-168gr-blems-100ct.html

Only 7 left, if you want them I'd hurry.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

DF

I believe that.

That's why so many of my scopes where the gold ring.

FB, very nice looking rifle.

Pat has WC860 in stock for under $9.00 a pound. It is my GOTO powder for the STW.
http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx

It requires hot primers, and a full case, think FED215 or REM 9 1/2.

Watch the Nosler Proshop for the 160gr NAB seconds. That's about all I feed mine, but you might have to try the 168gr LRAB's while they have the seconds in stock.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...nd-long-range-7mm-168gr-blems-100ct.html

Only 7 left, if you want them I'd hurry.

OK, you guys are great. I went ahead and ordered 200 of the Nosler 168 LRAB. Thanks so much for the links and insights, one and all!
An interesting point about spinning turrets. How often will I be doing it? Hard to say. A few dozen times a summer in prep for season??? I can imagine spinning once and shooting several shots at one setting. Always trying for the first shot hit. I can shoot pretty darn good to 600 w/o much effort, so this seems like the system that will take guesswork out of the holdover. Lots to learn on wind doping, but thankfully the numbers are readily available. I'll just need to learn the estimation and application. I'm having fun already.

I need to sell one more rifle to pay back savings for this little fiasco if you know anyone that's looking.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9424207/1

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The rifle was broken in transit. I am heartbroken. frown

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9468931/1

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.