Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by readonly
When the exit pupil gets above 7mm, unless a person's iris dilates to an unusual degree, all that's happening is the front side of the eye is being illuminated around the pupil. A 10mm exit pupil doesn't get more light to the sensor, the retina.

I don't dispute that but the increased exit pupil over 7mm still provides a distinct improvement in clarity with good glass.

Anybody who's had a slow recovery from PRK can attest to the importance of the distinction between clarity and visibility.

I haven't seen that.

Well maybe you should get some good glass and try it out.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Doubtful only if you do not place a premium on clarity or have never actually experienced the matter in the field. Which is you?

Dropping an anterless deer at 100 yards, last light...does it matter if it's a button or a doe? That level of clarity can absolutely hang in the balance.

Jeezus Fhuqking Gawd...you AMAZINGLY stupid dumbfhuqks and your contrived delusions,are fhuqking HILARIOUS!

No schit?!? Dinks & Titties are your "Trump Card"? I'm fhuqking crying,I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Wow!

PLEASE connect all dots and hang some "Hero Pics" of these "hard charging" pursuits and muse their "particulars",if only to obliviously bolster the humor quotient.

Knock it out of the fhuqking Park and say something about "heavy cover",how "bino's don't work" and mebbe even something about "weather".

Laffin'!

Points awarded in advance,for citing rifle/boolit "particulars" too,then a trite summation on how "real",Imagination and Pretend are to you. Go for the jugular and say a leetle sumptin' about bag limits and season length too,if only to corroborate your Dumbfhuqktitude.

I know...I know,just like Squat To Pee you can't afford a camera either,are too fhuqking STUPID to use one and you shoot just as "much" as she does.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

It simply remains a shame,that you CLUELESS Lying Kchunts are devoid any/all inklings to your absolutely amazing Stupidity.

The ONLY thing(s) you Stupid Fhuqkers "shoot",is your mouths and Imaginations.

Congratulations?!?

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

If ONLY you could savvy how fhuqking far you are,in over your pointy head.

You Window Licking Clueless Kchunts are a fhuqking HOOT!!!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When the exit pupil gets above 7mm, unless a person's iris dilates to an unusual degree, all that's happening is the front side of the eye is being illuminated around the pupil. A 10mm exit pupil doesn't get more light to the sensor, the retina.

I don't dispute that but the increased exit pupil over 7mm still provides a distinct improvement in clarity with good glass.

Anybody who's had a slow recovery from PRK can attest to the importance of the distinction between clarity and visibility.

I haven't seen that.

Leupold VX-7, Swarovski PH and Z5, S&B Zenith, and Zeiss Diavari don't make your grade?

Maybe you should consider it ain't other folks first rodeo either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

First let me be clear that I don't point my rifle at a deer without first positively identifying it as such.

The vast majority of my shot opportunities are just a few seconds. And I'm hunting thick cover out of confined stands not tower blinds over open spaces. No time time to fool with binos most of the time.

So if you've already shot a buck in a 1-buck county, you'll take a quick shot (2 seconds) at a "doe" in thick cover at last light?

Again......Congratulations?

Lol you are too much. I don't shoot any deer in thick cover outside of a very limited range. I shoot them when they move from cover into a shooting lane. But because the shooting lane is surrounded by thick cover I only have a reasonable expectation of a couple of seconds opportunity before they exit the lane.

I kill the first antlerless deer that presents a clean shot. After that I shoot every anterless deer I can be reasonably certain is a mature doe....50+ deer /sq mile. I don't have a one buck limit. I shoot a buck every three years or so. I hunt where there is an earn a buck law. Buttons are treated as antlerless not anterled.

You quoted me before I edited.

How do you ID any game if you don't have time to "fool with binos" and "don't point my rifle at a deer without first positively identifying it as such".

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It is not difficult to identify a deer standing in the clear at 100 yards. It's not like it appears as little brown smudge that needs further glassing to determine it's a deer.

My criteria for shooting a buck is age class not rack score and I can tell that within 100 yards so there is no need to study a buck before dropping it.

But I will always check the forehead of a lone doe before dropping it. It only takes a second.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I haven't seen that.

Leupold VX-7, Swarovski PH and Z5, S&B Zenith, and Zeiss Diavari don't make your grade?

Maybe you should consider it ain't other folks first rodeo either.

So take your Diavari at last light, start on high power and slowly turn it down. Then note when clarity stops improving. For me that is the lowest power. There is obviously a trade off between magnification and clarity at somepoint. Usually around 4 power for my hunting conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is not difficult to identify a deer standing in the clear at 100 yards. It's not like it appears as little brown smudge that needs further glassing to determine it's a deer.

My criteria for shooting a buck is age class not rack score and I can tell that within 100 yards so there is no need to study a buck before dropping it.

But I will always check the forehead of a lone doe before dropping it. It only takes a second.

From this statement and others you have made.....I don't understand why you're saying you need a $2,500 scope.

Doubtful only if you do not place a premium on clarity or have never actually experienced the matter in the field. Which is you?

Dropping an anterless deer at 100 yards, last light...does it matter if it's a button or a doe? That level of clarity can absolutely hang in the balance.

And you also said you don't point your rifle....therefore....don't ID game with your scope. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Either you need something other than your bare eyes or you don't.

Color me......confused with a sorry-azzed Leupold 6x42 scope that apparently doesn't work in low light.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Which do you think looks like something other than a deer....the button or the doe?

A $300 Nikon is just fine. I reference the varipoint because that happens to be the scope I was using 2 weeks ago when I was in a last light situation and did the dial down test.

Even in the height of day, clarity is very important, especially when there are a lot of shadows in the woodscape.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've done the first and last light "doe or button" question many times with many scopes and a few binoculars. It's an important question since there are fines on our lease for shooting buttons.

Sometimes when I wasn't going to shoot I took time and fiddled with the scope magnification up and down checking things out. With a wide variety of scopes, as long as there is sufficient exit pupil, magnification helps resolve things.

It's become kind of moot for me since I've been using high quality binoculars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty funny to read about the need for uber glass to bonk a doe at less than a 100 yards. $2500 plus glass for a 75 lbs dink, sound pretty damn stupid. If I were to lose a bet and end up needing to fill a doe tag, I'd go fishing...

It's pretty nice to be in an area where doe shooting ain't an issue. Only slicks from Portlandia shoot does and dinks around Jefferson.

Usually it's a trashco mounted on a maga mag with store bought blammo, wearing the latest $1000 cool guy camo. Maybe a tacticool leg mounted pistol rig to boot. All of that is really important to hang out the drivers side window to doink some old lady's pet deer.

Nice mowed grass next to the cattle pond, extra points for the drive way leading to the stand.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If he's actually addressing me, then he's off the mark. All I was discussing was a particular point of clarity vs. magnification.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ain't you Mathman.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't really think so, but my name got tagged. Within the blast radius I guess. grin

I went through a phase of trying out fancy stuff, 56mm front ends, and so on. These days if you look at a rifle I'm aiming at a deer/pig, it's most likely to be topped with a 6x42 Leupold. I do have one 6x42 Swarovski that's easy to get behind, and optically fantastic, but its reticle is a bit fine in the middle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Leupold M8-4x would be pretty hard to beat IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure Rogue should have been addressing readonly's comments.

Readonly is the one that thinks you need a $2,500 scope to see the difference between a button and a doe....but of course, he doesn't point his rifle at anything until he ID's it.

Oh....AND he doesn't have time to use BINOCULARS!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rogue
..... If I were to lose a bet and end up needing to fill a doe tag, I'd go fishing...

That's pretty funny....me too!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's a Coke bottle at 15 feet through a 6x scope. If you can't make the shot at 15 feet you are likely a Jerry Lewis telethon recipient.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott you talking to me? Or was i just next in line for quick response?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
FFE

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 55 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.