Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag that I started hunting with a few years ago. It shoots fine with open sights but after missing a nice buck twice at about 50 yards I decided to put a 2.5x Leupold on it. At the range the gun is easy to shoot with the scope. In the field, it's hard to get it lined up properly to get a full view through the scope. In low light conditions, it's even harder. I thought the scope would help pick up branches or obstacles in the sight path but the eye relief issue is really bugging me. Is a red dot a better option?

[Linked Image]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Is a red dot a better option?

In my opinion, yes. No worries about eye relief nor parralax, and better in low light. With both eyes open you don't even notice the tube. UltraDot is my preference.

F
F
Did you try adjusting the eyepiece? If you can't do that then a red dot is the next answer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bill, silly question, but is this the EER/IER scope? Or the regular lightweight 2.5x?

In regard to the red dots, I had an ultra dot on my 460 S&W and like it a lot. Never shot it outside of the range, so can't comment on field position or low light.

As an aside, where about in CT are you located?

Last edited by FFemtRN5287; 12/14/14.

Brandon Gleason
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Practice is the answer. Nobody just picks up a scoped revolver and shoots it like they've been doing so all their lives. No, a red dot is not going to be better in low light. Why would it be?

IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It's an EER scope. I haven't tried the eyepiece adjustment but will give that a try.

I'm in Lebanon near Lake Williams. Mainly hunt in Zone 9.

-------------

Adjusted the eyepiece and it seemed to help. Will check it out later at dusk.

Sorry if the question offends you Craig.

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/14/14.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Try screwing the eyepiece all the way in. I did this on my Leupold EER 2.5/8x and it greatly improved eye relief and eye box.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My answer was not intended to be offensive. It is what it is. It takes practice to get good with a scoped revolver.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your average is only 50 Yards then a red dot is the way to go. It will look just like a 2x as far as magnification. For some reason a 2x doesn't look like it magnifies the target at all. A red dot is much easier to pick up. If you plan on shooting out to 100 yards then skip the 2x and go with a 4x as it will be as easy to hold as a 2x and give you much better magnification of your target. Also as stated above you must practice with your gun/scope to become proficient with it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So you guys have had good luck with Ultra Dots? I want to put a red dot on a Contender in 44mag for hunting, but I want it to stand up to the recoil. Considered a scope, but from my limited experience with red dots on handguns, and then quite a bit of experience with scopes, both low power fixed and variable, I think the red dot will serve better for hunting with that Contender. My eyes turned mid-40's last year, and my eyesight got funky. Open sights are not easy anymore. Seemed to happen overnight!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Spent more time playing with the eyepiece adjustment. Can't believe how much better it is.

If I take the revolver out I try to go to a stand where I'll have a fairly short shot.

I have quite a bit of experience shooting handguns but this is the first time I've put a scope on one. Didn't realize the adjustment was so far off. Unfortunately the seasons over here in CT but I'll hit the range this winter with it.

Thanks..

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use 2X Leupolds on a couple of revolvers, .44 and .41. As others here have stated, it takes time and practice to get it right. Have used red dots too, personally, I like the scopes better for my purposes. I would suggest spending some time each day bringing it up to shooting position and dry firing at something. You can develop the hand-eye coordination necessary for bringing a scoped handgun up to the point where you get the image as easily as you do open sights (or red dots.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
So you guys have had good luck with Ultra Dots? I want to put a red dot on a Contender in 44mag for hunting, but I want it to stand up to the recoil. Considered a scope, but from my limited experience with red dots on handguns, and then quite a bit of experience with scopes, both low power fixed and variable, I think the red dot will serve better for hunting with that Contender. My eyes turned mid-40's last year, and my eyesight got funky. Open sights are not easy anymore. Seemed to happen overnight!

I have been ruthless to my Ultradots and after thousands of full-tilt .475 Linebaughs, .454 Casulls, .480 Rugers, .500 Linebaughs, and .500 JRHs, they just won't quit. Plus, there is a lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hard to beat the UltraDot. Although I wouldn't recommend the grips to anyone I liked.

[Linked Image]

Burris or Leupold for a fixed 2x.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I have been ruthless to my Ultradots and after thousands of full-tilt .475 Linebaughs, .454 Casulls, .480 Rugers, .500 Linebaughs, and .500 JRHs, they just won't quit. Plus, there is a lifetime warranty. What's not to like?

Don't forget you had it on th the 416 Remington Whitworth.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
F
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Spent more time playing with the eyepiece adjustment. Can't believe how much better it is.

If I take the revolver out I try to go to a stand where I'll have a fairly short shot.

I have quite a bit of experience shooting handguns but this is the first time I've put a scope on one. Didn't realize the adjustment was so far off. Unfortunately the seasons over here in CT but I'll hit the range this winter with it.

Thanks..

Leupold doesn't say anything in their literature about how to adjust the eye relief with the eyepiece. Maybe that is because the average handgun hunter would have no use for multiple settings.

Try this. Turn the eyepiece out all the way. Measure your eye relief. Then turn it in all the way. You will see what I am talking about. The only problem is you have to fiddle with the eyepiece depending on the shooting position. Valuable time is wasted. The Ultradot is, IMHO, simpler. No lost time.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Frank1
Originally Posted by Bill_N

Thanks..

Leupold doesn't say anything in their literature about how to adjust the eye relief with the eyepiece. Maybe that is because the average handgun hunter would have no use for multiple settings.

Try this. Turn the eyepiece out all the way. Measure your eye relief. Then turn it in all the way. You will see what I am talking about. The only problem is you have to fiddle with the eyepiece depending on the shooting position. Valuable time is wasted. The Ultradot is, IMHO, simpler. No lost time.

I turned the eyepiece on mine in all the way and I just leave it there. Haven't felt the need to change it and I shoot prone (Creedmoor), sitting and standing. This is with a 2.5-8 Leupold with less eye relief than the straight 2x.

I have Ultradots as well and they're fast, but not nearly as precise as a scope past 100 yards.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/14/14.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by s4s4u
Is a red dot a better option?

In my opinion, yes. No worries about eye relief nor parralax, and better in low light. With both eyes open you don't even notice the tube. UltraDot is my preference.

Absolutely the better choice, I hated the Leupold scope on My Bisley. It was a 4x not the 2.5 but the sight picture was horrible. I ended up with an ultra dot 30mm and the difference is night and day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 2 X Leupold scope I have on a Redhawk is easy for me to use.... the 4 X Leupold I have on a Contender is much harder to use... I have an Ultra Dot on My .45 Colt Mountain Gun and love it ....

Perhaps the 2.5 X you have is one designed for a Scout Rifle set up?

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think a scope over 2X on a handgun would be useful only in a few, narrow applications....just MHO.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 8 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,198
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.