-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There have been a few times that I have managed to come away from a hunt with venison ribs. I consider myself serious barbequer, and I have never gotten a good meal out of them. As a result, I never consider the loss of rib meat in the equation.

A shot that takes out both lungs and the heart will do just fine. I do not shoot .243 WIN-- been more of a .30 and .35 kind of guy. However, I did nail a deer with a 25-06 this year. Honestly, they all seem to do a good job. Depending on what gets hit on the way in and the way out, you may have up to a fist-sized hole in the off-side of the deer, but actual meat loss is going to be minimal.

Shoulders? Although effective, I think it ruins too much usable meat. I agree that a shoulder roast is a bit much work, but if you drop one in a slow cooker for half a day, the meat falls off the bone. An easy recipe is one shoulder roast, one bottle of Russian dressing, and 6 hours in the slow cooker.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
So I got this new .243 and am wondering which bullet will cause the least damaged meat. It's a BIT quicker than the Swede that I normally shoot. Is the Barnes monolithc type bullet in a fast mover like the .243 better than a cup and core bullet? How about the Partition? What say the experts?

I guess you can count my bewhilderment at this question, in with the guys that shake their heads at those of us that pursue that last 50fps of velocity in our handloads, but do people really fret over the kiddie meal hamburger worth of meat that one bullet might destroy over another?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
do people really fret over the kiddie meal hamburger worth of meat that one bullet might destroy over another?

Evidently they do.

It's like half think deer are armor plated and need big calibers and high dollar bullets, and the other half are on a quest to see just how small a cartridge they can use and still kill them efficiently.

I once had a guy tell me he wanted to buy a 300 Wby Mag, and when I asked why, he said his 257 Wby didn't have the power to kill a deer

Last edited by Snyper; 12/18/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Whatever; deer aren't hard to kill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Whatever; deer aren't hard to kill.

WRONG! Min caliber 338 WM, 340 Bee is even better. Use the best bullet you can find.................

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In my opinion you save meat by lower velocity as much as bullet weight, style or manufacturer. I would shoot a hornady 100 about 2200 fps or so.

Joseph
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Truth of the matter is I'm used to the pedestrian velocity of the 6.5X55 which allows eating up to the hole and very minimal bloodshot meat. I realize the difference in speed and am looking to minimize the damage I have seen here on the campfire when velocity is high. Okiebowhunter, I seems like your information and the info I got from another member of the campfire via P.M. make the most sense. Thanks for the many opinions and information.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ringworm
Anything 270. Can't hurt meat you don't hit.

! Thats pretty funny

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Shoot a barnes copper bullet so you don't frag out lead every where in the meat. Just because its not bloodshot, doesn't mean it doesn't have lead fragments in it.

Before you flame me, go to the MN DNR website and search for the lead in venison reports. It will make you think twice that eating up to the hole has a little more lead flakes than you want.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive shot them with Hornady Custom 100g interlock BTSP (whitetail is the same bullet) and damage to meat was minimal.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Shrapnel, this is a facory installed barrel, Am I safe to assume that the twist isn't too fast? What is the normal twist of a Remington installed barrel?

9 1/8 in the Rem....I think Sharpnel was joking with you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.