Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My argument for the Ruger LCR 9mm above all others:

1) The LCR gives you five 9mm rounds without any appreciable energy loss for a short 1-7/8" barrel. I believe 38 spec is the bare minimum power factor to reliably stop an attacker who might be wearing a winter coat or a leather jacket. 9mm and 9mm +P is even better.

2) The LCR gives me two major advantages that larger handguns can't. I can grab it and conceal it very easily every time I get out of the car AND I can draw it from concealment even witha criminal standing right in front of me. Because I can carry it in my front right pants pocket in a pocket holster. You'd never know it's there.

If I'm running errands and stop at a gas station, sliding the LCR Into my front pants pocket is no harder than putting my cell phone in my pocket. If I had my Sig P228 or my 1911 commander in an IWB rig, I'd have to spend several minutes trying to shoehorn it on. I could put the IWB rig on before I leave home, but that causes a few problems. It's not real comfortable to drive with a seatbelt on and a CCW jabbing into my side. Also, I can't legally carry at my workplace. Most Americans can't either, because most employers have a private policy barring firearms from the premises. Lastly, in summer time, wearing shorts and t-shirts, concealing a larger gun is harder.

The Ruger LCR solves all those problems for me. Plus, any time I find myself in a situation where attackers have gotten the jump on me, I can say "hey, you can have my wallet" as I draw the LCR out. Criminals always want money. I doubt a criminal is ever going to say no to my offer of money, wallet, car keys, etc. And I'm not going to ask either. All I need is the 1 second delay while I reach and draw the gun out. You can't do that while reaching for your hip.

The 9mm moon clips actually make loading 5 rounds as easy as loading a 1911 mag. You thumb 5 cartridges on it and drop it right into the cylinder. You can shoot the LCR without a moon clip, but will need to poke the empty cases out. Carrying a spare clip of 5 rounds is simple with the moon clip too.

Lastly, the Ruger's trigger is the best DA trigger I've tried for any revolver under $1000. With a little practice I have learned to shoot tight quick groups of 9mm. My buddies J-frame S&W 642,not so much. Long, heavy trigger pull that makes accuracy very difficult. The small semi-autos can't honestly say they will work reliably 100% of the time. They all have issues with various ammo. On e the recoil spring gets old, they start having problems.

My LCR can go in and out of a pocket every day, and deliver five 9mm rounds with accuracy, from deep concealment with ease. It is a joy to carry, so I never think to myself, "I'll just run in to grab a soda, so I'll just leave my gun in the car".

I think the next best argument to an LCR 9mm is an LCR in 38 special. I've carried a dozen handguns, shot 50 others. I haven't found anything that works better for every day carry, for giving me an ace up my sleeve no matter how dire the situation is and for being a very well made handgun that is a joy to shoot.

Last edited by 250_3000; 12/15/14.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...can't argue with your theory, looks very well thought out.

Personally I am not a big advocate of pocket carry. One has to have the right size pockets and proper holster to really make it work well. And if you get on a timer with your hands at your side you may fine it takes more than "a second" to draw.

As to the gun/caliber, it works. I have a S&W 649 that has been modified to shoot .38 Super and 9mm as well as the original .38 Special. You may however want to actually chronograph and water test the ammo you select. Most 9mm ammo is going under 1200 fps from a 4" barrel. From a less that 2" it may be going less than 1000. This can cause expansion issues.

Was over on YouTube two nights ago watching robber/shooting videos. They have a lot of new ones since the last time I looked. It can give one a very accurate idea of how fast things happen and start thinking of tactics that will give you the edge before something happens...

Good for you...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like pocket carry except for while driving, but I dislike moon clips (or speedloaders) for reloads. I always carried speed strips when carrying a .38 revolver in a pocket. Moon clips are bulky and they force you to throw away all at once, which could include live rounds. There is no way to top off.

But, I wouldn't call anyone who likes moon clips or speedloaders "wrong."

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For reloading, you can also use... G17 mags! smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think the next best argument to an LCR 9mm is an LCR in 38 special.

I have an LCRx in 38 Special and like it a lot. I carry appendix and it practically disappears. I have no desire for that gun in 9mm. Moonclips may make for a quicker reload, but are also harder to conceal than a speedstrip. I do not worry much about how quickly I can reload that gun, often I only carry the 5 in the gun. Most spend far too much time worrying about this aspect. There is very little performance difference between 9mm and 38+P from a snubby. Credit Ruger for listening to the masses, but I am fine with the old standby.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Regardless of chambering the LCR makes a whole lot of sense.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Regardless of chambering the LCR makes a whole lot of sense.

Travis

Agreed. I just ordered an appendix carry Crossbreed for my LCR. Only takes a few seconds more than sticking it in a pocket. I'm scared of a Glock pointed at my jewels but not so much a DA.

For driving, an LCR inside a Desantis pocket holster in the cargo pocket of a pair of 5.11's works. The cargo pockets on the 5.11 shorts are too small though. You can access it without telegraphing you actions at a redlight if necessary.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
5.11 pants pretty much telegraph everything you need to know about a person.

I like the clip for the LCR but I may try a Crossbreed soon.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What can a 9mm do that a .38spl +P can't do just as well or better?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/15/14.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nothing

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Travis

Required for work and FREE, some of the time anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Share ammo and a magazine with your primary semi-auto?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4321

Travis

More like "shoot me first" or "I'm a fugging douche-bag."

Travis

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by s4s4u
I think the next best argument to an LCR 9mm is an LCR in 38 special.

I have an LCRx in 38 Special and like it a lot. I carry appendix and it practically disappears. I have no desire for that gun in 9mm. Moonclips may make for a quicker reload, but are also harder to conceal than a speedstrip. I do not worry much about how quickly I can reload that gun, often I only carry the 5 in the gun. Most spend far too much time worrying about this aspect. There is very little performance difference between 9mm and 38+P from a snubby. Credit Ruger for listening to the masses, but I am fine with the old standby.

I have an LCR IN 38 in addition to my 9mm version. Lov'em both. I agree about the number of rounds. You can always think of a reason to need one more but most shootings involve 1 or 2 shots fired. I think it's much more important to have a gun that is always on me.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Travis

Travis

I used to think the same but now there are so many people wearing cargo pants and shorts I don't think most drugged up scumbags notice...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by alukban

Share ammo and a magazine with your primary semi-auto?

Unless your semi is a 45 ;-)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

The LCR can shoot 9mm +P also. So it delivers about 50% more energy and penetration than 38 +P.

-Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 250_3000

The LCR can shoot 9mm +P also. So it delivers about 50% more energy and penetration than 38 +P.

Not really true. While .38+P pressures are considerably lower, case volume is higher and when using appropriate powders there is very little difference in velocity for a given weight bullet.

For example, SAAMI +P pressures are 38.5Kpsi for the 9mm Luger but only 20Kpsi for the .38Spl +P. SAAMI references 1235fps for a 115g in the 9mm Luger +P and 1150fps for a 130g in the .38 Spl +P. Hodgdon lists .38 Spl +P loads of 110g/1337fps/17.7Kpsi and 125g/1228fps/18.3Kpsi.

The higher pressure of the 9mm +P loads will increase wear and tear on the revolver but you really don't get much in return in terms of downrange performance - if anything.

Not saying you shouldn't use the 9mm or that it doesn't make sense in some applications - particualrly if you have other 9mm Lugers and want to have common ammo. But for most people most of the time the .38 version is a better choice.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/15/14. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 250_3000
My argument for the Ruger LCR 9mm above all others:

1) The LCR gives you five 9mm rounds without any appreciable energy loss for a short 1-7/8" barrel. I believe 38 spec is the bare minimum power factor to reliably stop an attacker who might be wearing a winter coat or a leather jacket. 9mm and 9mm +P is even better.

2) The LCR gives me two major advantages that larger handguns can't. I can grab it and conceal it very easily every time I get out of the car AND I can draw it from concealment even witha criminal standing right in front of me. Because I can carry it in my front right pants pocket in a pocket holster. You'd never know it's there.

If I'm running errands and stop at a gas station, sliding the LCR Into my front pants pocket is no harder than putting my cell phone in my pocket. If I had my Sig P228 or my 1911 commander in an IWB rig, I'd have to spend several minutes trying to shoehorn it on. I could put the IWB rig on before I leave home, but that causes a few problems. It's not real comfortable to drive with a seatbelt on and a CCW jabbing into my side. Also, I can't legally carry at my workplace. Most Americans can't either, because most employers have a private policy barring firearms from the premises. Lastly, in summer time, wearing shorts and t-shirts, concealing a larger gun is harder.

The Ruger LCR solves all those problems for me. Plus, any time I find myself in a situation where attackers have gotten the jump on me, I can say "hey, you can have my wallet" as I draw the LCR out. Criminals always want money. I doubt a criminal is ever going to say no to my offer of money, wallet, car keys, etc. And I'm not going to ask either. All I need is the 1 second delay while I reach and draw the gun out. You can't do that while reaching for your hip.

The 9mm moon clips actually make loading 5 rounds as easy as loading a 1911 mag. You thumb 5 cartridges on it and drop it right into the cylinder. You can shoot the LCR without a moon clip, but will need to poke the empty cases out. Carrying a spare clip of 5 rounds is simple with the moon clip too.

Lastly, the Ruger's trigger is the best DA trigger I've tried for any revolver under $1000. With a little practice I have learned to shoot tight quick groups of 9mm. My buddies J-frame S&W 642,not so much. Long, heavy trigger pull that makes accuracy very difficult. The small semi-autos can't honestly say they will work reliably 100% of the time. They all have issues with various ammo. On e the recoil spring gets old, they start having problems.

My LCR can go in and out of a pocket every day, and deliver five 9mm rounds with accuracy, from deep concealment with ease. It is a joy to carry, so I never think to myself, "I'll just run in to grab a soda, so I'll just leave my gun in the car".

I think the next best argument to an LCR 9mm is an LCR in 38 special. I've carried a dozen handguns, shot 50 others. I haven't found anything that works better for every day carry, for giving me an ace up my sleeve no matter how dire the situation is and for being a very well made handgun that is a joy to shoot.

this is 1980's thinking grab a S&W shield or better yet a glock 26. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with one of those dinky revolvers. however head shots with a glock 26 at in excess of 15 yards is no problemo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Travis

Travis

I understand, living in such dangerous territory as you do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,767
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.