Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boyds replacement stocks for the M77 Hawkeye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone on this board give me their experience replacing the factory wood stock on their Model 77 with a laminated stock from Boyds?

I'm tempted to get a replacement for my LH Hawkeye standard LA before I start banging it around in the woods. Boyds offers a replacement stock for my rifle at just over $100. Would a laminate be more immune to the moisture and casual bumps? Recommended or not? Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one on a Rem. 700.., the laminated version. Inletting was good, dropped in, finish was good but they're heavy. Didn't like the balance of the rifle after I put the stock on. Get it with the checkering, mine was smooth as slick as snot.
Me personally I'd go synthetic

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you call up Ruger, they will probably sell you a laminated stock for your Hawkeye.

I wouldn't go Boyds unless you want to do quite a bit of finish work to get it into a nice pleasing shape.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stock on my Hawkeye Predator is nicer than the Boyds I put on a Howa; checkered too.

Might cost you a bit more.

Call Ruger parts with the model number and they'll hook you up.

Laminates are heavy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The walnut stock on an M77 Hawkeye isn't pretty enough to justify swapping to a laminate to "save" it, is it?

I would order an OEM plastic Ruger stock if that is truly your conundrum.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with micro groove, as far as fac. syn. stocks go, the current Ruger ones are at the top of the heap.
John

SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all,

I was not aware left hand synthetic or laminate replacement stocks were available from Ruger for the Hawkeye. Will definitely consider that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you want wood just use the stock on our rifle. The laminates weigh a ton and aren't that much more rugged or weatherproof. If you want to preserve your wood stock and want something cheap and good buy a factroy synthetic. If they offer a synthetic in left hand, not sure they do. If not, just use the stock that came on your gun.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a Boyd's laminate stock for a while. Way too heavy and felt like a 2x6 and handled worse. It went down the road to a guy who wanted a heavy rig. Guess he doesn't carry rifles much.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger makes laminated stocks for their LH Mk II actions, mostly pepper or Green Mountain - kind of a green, brown and black combo - but they've never made a LH synthetic that I'm aware of.

From what I gather their laminated plywood is supplied by the same company that makes the laminate blanks for Boyds so quality would be a wash. The Ruger stock is checkered, finished and the same dimensions as their walnut stocks. All three of my LH Hawkeyes came with laminates I found them to be of good quality and not overly heavy - partly because the Hawkeye stock is very slender to begin with.

Don't know if Ruger will sell a stock separately or not. I called them about getting one once and the lady said they are a "factory fitted part" and therefore not available for general sale to the public. That may have changed or maybe I phrased my question incorrectly, only way to know is to call.

Ram Line makes a fairly inexpensive LH synthetic for the Mk II. Not exactly up in the McMillan area for quality but if you just want a knock around stock it might be something to look at.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Hawkeye instruction manual states to call Ruger NH Product Service Dept. for replacement stock info.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I should have been more clear. They will replace the stock but when I called they would have required me to send my rifle in to have a new stock fitted. They wouldn't just send me a new stock like they would a new set of rings.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim in Idaho - installed a RamLine syn on a .30/06 HOWA action and fit/finish are great. It is stiffer than Savages syn stocks and, while it won't win any beauty contests, it plain works for me. Homesteader

SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all, will definitely talk to the folks at Ruger first should I pursue a replacement. Put it on the bench to check zero this weekend and to be honest, this thing is grouping so well, the wise thing to do may be to just leave it the hell alone.

But, I appreciate all the advice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.