Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dwayne,

Interesting that you brought up the Pre �64 gas handling. I was just reading an article about Mauser 98s by Finn Aagaard in which he noted that the only two blown up rifles from gas handling issues that he had ever encountered were Pre �64 Model 70s.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, Good Sir.

Billy

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Define "blown up". To me that sounds like a structural failure, not a gas-handling failure.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You�d have to ask Finn about that.

I do know he was not one for BS.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wish I could ask him but since he has been gone for many years that would be tough to do.

I asked because you cited the incident so I was hoping you would have some further info or perhaps a reference to the article. I have read a great deal of Aagard's work and do not recall that particular reference.

Here is link to a couple of "blown up" rife incidents. Note that in the case of the Model 70 the guy was basically unharmed whereas in the incident with the 700 the guy was pretty well bloodied. Both are samples of one but it just goes to show that there is nothing written in stone about happens when a firearm has an "explosive" issue.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=477&magid=34

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see how a 7 mag would chamber in a 270. 7-08 would but a 7mag should be quite a bit fatter top to bottom, add in the belt and I can't see how the bolt would close. ???

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The subject was in Selected Works, in the article �Mauser Model 1898�.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. I have not seen that, is it a Wolfe Publishing issue? If so I will have to see if I can find it. I will be interested in what he is referring to.

drover

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't see how a 7 mag would chamber in a 270. 7-08 would but a 7mag should be quite a bit fatter top to bottom, add in the belt and I can't see how the bolt would close. ???

If you are referring to the article I provided a link to it is because it was a 270 Weatherby, not a 270 Win which it would appear that you are thinking of.

"It was a very small mistake with very big consequences; he fired a 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge in a rifle chambered for .270 Weatherby."

drover

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is a Wolfe Publishing book. My copy is from 1997.

I can scan and e-mail you the page if you�d like.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll bet all you 64minus gropies like 1911's also. I like Sweeny's writing.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4321
I'll bet all you 64minus gropies like 1911's also. I like Sweeny's writing.

First of all learn how to spell both groupies and Sweeney. I have no dog in this fight I like both rifles but let me spell it out yet again, you cannot compare a rifle built 65 years ago with current production. If you are going to do a comparison then you compare rifles built in that era. Is that so difficult? Yeah I like 1911's but I like my Glocks better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One lousy (in your estimation) story and you'll never read the magazine again? There are other opinions out there ya know. Like mine for instance I think a pre 64 is a cool looking sculpture of metal and a pretty good action but when its go time I'd choose a mk11 Ruger. If I had a pre 64 I'd sell it not my cup of tea. And I think about all readers understand the age difference of the two rifles no? What's wrong with comparing something old to something new? Ah well these first world problems can be troublesome I guess.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Salty303
One lousy (in your estimation) story and you'll never read the magazine again? There are other opinions out there ya know. Like mine for instance I think a pre 64 is a cool looking sculpture of metal and a pretty good action but when its go time I'd choose a mk11 Ruger. If I had a pre 64 I'd sell it not my cup of tea. And I think about all readers understand the age difference of the two rifles no? What's wrong with comparing something old to something new? Ah well these first world problems can be troublesome I guess.

Not just one lousy article it is never ending litany of lousy articles. Why compare with current production? Well because as technology advances so will weapons correct? There are however designs that are timeless, that is why Ruger introduced their 77 when everyone else dropped CRF. Its easy to improve on a design and learn from Winchesters mistakes.

A roll of Charmin toilet paper provides a better reading experience BTW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Ruger Hawkeye last spring and, after I altered the mag well to relieve binding stress on the action, the thing shoots 'lights-out'. A buddy of mine showed me a recent write up in Sporting Classics on the Ruger Model 77. As I read it I could tell it was just a generic 3 page marketing blurb about the 77 basics, nothing based on range work.

I couldn't help but notice the two page advertising spread on Ruger at the front end of the issue, maybe even before the contents page. I've purchased quite a few issues of SC and that was the first big ad, certainly the most expensive, for Ruger I've seen in that magazine.

I own a late model 70 by FN as well the Ruger hawkeye, and couldn't be more satisfied with both.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.