Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
$3.69 here... Gas is $2.59...

Talked to a friend on Saturday who is a medium-truck salesman at a large metro dealer.. He says the majority of those trucks are now being ordered with the gas V-10s due to 4 factors:

1 Diesel engine costs $8K+ more than the V-10
2 Gas engine uses no DEF
3 Gas prices, at $2.59 +/- far outweigh the diesel engine advantages in power/fuel etc at this time...
4. Gas engines start easily in cold weather. (most Ford mediums use Cummins diesels..)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I started charting my business's sales and gas/oil prices back in 08. sales on top, oil on bottom. It is amazing to see how they come together when oil is up and separate when oil/gas is down. The past and current two months[which are normally dismal for us]are looking to be two of our best of the year.

So I'm in the low fuel prices are good category.

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Calvin
fireball,

You seem to be not thinking here.

What about the trucking companies who haul supplies/materials to the oil fields? What about the companies who manufacture those supplies? What about those who supply those manufacturers with raw materials? And all those workers along the entire supply chain? Do you realize how much capex projects pump into the economy? No, you don't apparently. Get rid of those, and get rid of a lot of good paying blue collar jobs that were created well away from the oilfields.

I know things suck in Oregon, as you don't have oil/gas. But, the country has been moving along nicely the last 5 years thanks to our energy "boom". Good jobs created well beyond the oilfield, and money has been flowing. Cut that off, and everywhere will suck like Oregon.

Now, put that thinking cap on and start using it.

We just lived through this 10 fold through the housing boom and bust.

For every guy in swinging a hammer... the lumber jack, sawmill, truss yard, redimix plant, steel yard, cement mine, gravel pits, truckers, copper mines, plumbing supplies, electrical, vehicles, excavators, equipment that can pump pull lift push and demolish, secretaries, salesmen, insurances, credit lines...

It was interesting that no one understood GM's main reason it needed bailing out. GMAC financing on all those fleets and specialty orders of construction vehicles. If you think 22lf being in short supply is a pain, imagine trying to find a concrete truck, crane, boom pump, lift all, dump truck, flatbed... during the boom... and the manufacturers going balls to the walls putting them out... then eating those orders and all self financing of previous after the bust.

The cities, counties, states, and feds were eating high on the hog... county's impact fees per unit sky rocketed thousands of dollars, drunk on new riches they built fancy offices, new schools, new vehicles, wasting money. Arizona under Napalitano was one billion in the surplus, the bitch spent it on special interests, locking in budgetary mandates that guaranteed 83% of state budget, when Brewer inherited the mess she was tied to budget cuts in only 17%. After the bust the mayor of Mesa said, we had one building permit start the last two months, we do have businesses that generate revenue, but it takes a lot of shoe sales to equal one home start.

During the boom, an illegal was making 15 an hour to start as a laborer and 25 if they had any skills. Americans were making high 5 figures to low six figures for uneducated skilled workers.

Sound familiar?

When production is spurred by consumer use it produces a sound economy... when it is spurred by investment futures turnover it becomes a ponzi scheme, bubble and will burst.

Kent

KRP,

With all due respect, you care comparing two industries that aren't the same. Two situations that are completely different. Oil/Gas ain't housing. Not even close. There is no bubble in oil/gas.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Not to pick on you, but your situation is the EXACT reason why we need good paying jobs here in the USA. If $40 every two weeks is all you can afford for gas, you need a better paying job. $1 gas wouldn't help you, to be honest with you. You need to be making double what you are making right now. I suggest you look at making a move to an area where oil/gas exploration/extraction is taking place. Work on getting a CDL.

Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Fireball, I hear you on the cutting out hunting thing. I had to give up going to my favorite spots for several years because of the costs in fuel. Its only 100 miles round trip, but thats a killer of the deal when i HAVE to be able to pay for fuel to get to work and back and anywhere else i have to be.

For two years, i rarely, if ever, saw my tank full. Now, my wife is working and we are able to put fuel in both rigs, have a few extra dollars to claw our way out of debt and even get my son a few Christmas presents.

Some simple numbers for those of you who cant seem to wrap your heads around this...

$40 is your fuel budget for two weeks.

Your car gets 15 MPG in town, 25 on the highway.

You have to drive to work and back 10 times in 14 days. In my specific case, it is 2 miles to work and back. So 4 miles all told. For my wife it is 8 miles round trip.

Now, at $4 a gallon, you get 10 gallons of fuel. That 10 gallons only nets you 150 miles in town, closer to 250 on the freeway. I am left with 110 drivable miles in town. A trip to some stores is nearly 10 miles round trip. I do my best to grocery shop in large quantities, and that means a 70 mile round trip to Costco, or Winco. My gas goes away pretty quickly. Same goes for my wife's car. And for a long time, we only had one car to do all the traveling. Take into account doctor appointments, errands, store runs for something you need or forgot, and anything else that may come up, you can see how only getting 10 gallons of fuel can limit your ability to do ANYTHING other than the bare essentials.

Now, drop the cost of fuel to $2 a gallon and see how the only thing that changes is the ability to go twice as far for the same $40, and maybe sneak in a hunt or family based activity with the leftover cash?

Why is this so hard for some people to comprehend?

Fireball has his driving to consider, and i have mine. Mine is significantly less than his, but we were both effected pretty much the same by the cost of fuel.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4321
Explain how oil popped the housing bubble. This ought to be good.

People couldn't pay their mortagages AND fill their tanks, dumbazz.

Really? Is that all you can come up with? You really need to find something else to do, besides the internet.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Fireball, I hear you on the cutting out hunting thing. I had to give up going to my favorite spots for several years because of the costs in fuel. Its only 100 miles round trip, but thats a killer of the deal when i HAVE to be able to pay for fuel to get to work and back and anywhere else i have to be.

For two years, i rarely, if ever, saw my tank full. Now, my wife is working and we are able to put fuel in both rigs, have a few extra dollars to claw our way out of debt and even get my son a few Christmas presents.

Some simple numbers for those of you who cant seem to wrap your heads around this...

$40 is your fuel budget for two weeks.

Your car gets 15 MPG in town, 25 on the highway.

You have to drive to work and back 10 times in 14 days. In my specific case, it is 2 miles to work and back. So 4 miles all told. For my wife it is 8 miles round trip.

Now, at $4 a gallon, you get 10 gallons of fuel. That 10 gallons only nets you 150 miles in town, closer to 250 on the freeway. I am left with 110 drivable miles in town. A trip to some stores is nearly 10 miles round trip. I do my best to grocery shop in large quantities, and that means a 70 mile round trip to Costco, or Winco. My gas goes away pretty quickly. Same goes for my wife's car. And for a long time, we only had one car to do all the traveling. Take into account doctor appointments, errands, store runs for something you need or forgot, and anything else that may come up, you can see how only getting 10 gallons of fuel can limit your ability to do ANYTHING other than the bare essentials.

Now, drop the cost of fuel to $2 a gallon and see how the only thing that changes is the ability to go twice as far for the same $40, and maybe sneak in a hunt or family based activity with the leftover cash?

Why is this so hard for some people to comprehend?

Fireball has his driving to consider, and i have mine. Mine is significantly less than his, but we were both effected pretty much the same by the cost of fuel.

Fuel could go to $.50 a gallon and you'd still need to make some changes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Explain how oil popped the housing bubble. This ought to be good.

People couldn't pay their mortagages AND fill their tanks, dumbazz.

Really? Is that all you can come up with? You really need to find something else to do, besides the internet.

....and heat their homes and commercial bldgs.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What I haven't seen mentioned[but have not read every reply] is this:
Fuel/oil/gas rose very quickly triggered by Katrina not giving "cost of living" a chance to catch up. Inflation went wild on the product most of us need-food. While .gov may not include food in their formula, in my experience it's pretty damned important.
While I can cut out most things[extras] in life food and fuel just can't be given up.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Raeford

Fuel/oil/gas rose very quickly triggered by Katrina not giving "cost of living" a chance to catch up. Inflation went wild on the product most of us need-food. While .gov may not include food in their formula, in my experience it's pretty damned important.

A HUGE chunk of the cost of food is oil. Tractor fuel, fertilizer (oil by product), and of course, ethanol. Of course, that didn't really matter, did it Calvin (bless your heart).

TFF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You guys are missing the big picture here.

Do you think that Saudi Arabia wants to sell it's oil for 40-60 a bbl? They have the top oil economists on the planet on their payroll. They know that if they drive the price down to these levels, they can starve out our industry, and in 4-5 years have oil back up to $150 a bbl.

The Saudi's ain't gonna lose money in this. In the long term, they'll win. The American consumer surely isn't going to be the winner in all of this. Sure he might save some money on fuel the next year or two, but then he'll lose all that and more over the next 10.

The NA drilling/exploration was a chance to get a stable market price for oil. Once that's gone, you better be ready for fuel prices we haven't even seen yet.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Raeford

A HUGE chunk of the cost of food is oil. Tractor fuel, fertilizer (oil by product), and of course, ethanol. Of course, that didn't really matter, did it Calvin (bless your heart).

TFF

You really need to find something to do besides the internet.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The Saudi's ain't gonna lose money in this. In the long term, they'll win. The American consumer surely isn't going to be the winner in all of this. Sure he might save some money on fuel the next year or two, but then he'll lose all that and more over the next 10.

The NA drilling/exploration was a chance to get a stable market price for oil. Once that's gone, you better be ready for fuel prices we haven't even seen yet.

Damn you're dumb. You ever been to Saudi Arabia?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Do you think that Saudi Arabia wants to sell it's oil for 40-60 a bbl? They have the top oil economists on the planet on their payroll. They know that if they drive the price down to these levels, they can starve out our industry, and in 4-5 years have oil back up to $150 a bbl.

If given some time, I can adjust no problem.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Back on topic....

Have noticed locally, that fuel prices are varying dramatically...

2 companies own a buttload of the local stations pumping fuel in the Valley here...have noticed as dramatic as an 80 cents a gallon swing in local fuel prices, and sometimes just up the street from each other...

I've seen diesel range from $2.89 a gallon to $3.69 a gallon, just going to Walmart yesterday...

Paid $2.39 for regular last night, yet still see stations with $2.99 a gallon and then the latest around town fad is to charge 10 cents a gallon more if you use a credit or debit card...

was up in Roseburg on Friday, and got fuel for $2.59 a gallon, and yet right next to that station was another that was charging $3.79 a gallon for regular...I asked the person pumping my gas if they ever see any customers over there....and the answer pissed me off to no end...

The $3.79 a gallon station is owned by a Former Big Time State Legislator, and is now still wrapped up in local politics...

Most of the vehicles pulling into his station to fill up ( according at least to the gal pumping my gas), have State Plates on them, or are local County owned vehicles.....

The station owner is a Democrat.. but what does that matter.... and who would have guessed, right???

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Calvin, what you are saying is true to a point, but also realize that the geni is out of the bottle. NA oil development may be dealt a set back, but as soon as the prices start to go up so will development. Besides the past decade has seen a commodity bubble that has burst. Asia and Europe aren't doing so well and alot of new supply has came online. Prices should go down.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It is exactly a dollar higher than gas here in Wyoming.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Partsman
I run gas, it was $1.069 CDN per litre at costco

Fixed it for you.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drove past my local Fred Meyer on my way to Scappoose the other day. Notice it's $2.999 for diesel.

Drive the 19 or so miles and drive past the Fred Meyer there. It's $2.299. Same chain, less than 20 miles away, 70 cents difference. It was 10 cents cheaper than regular and another station in Scappoose had it for the 2.229 as well, so it wasn't just a fluke.

Something's not right...

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In case you missed it on CNN, OPEC is flooding the market in order to kill all the US shale oil competition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me try this...when I spend more to fill my tank I have less to spend at another business. That other business then loses income. Or the mortgage payment. When a farmer pays more to fill his tank, he has less to spend. When the trucking company..... And when all those have to raise their prices I pay more for necessities. When I pay more for necessities...

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.