Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
At the moment there are some good prices (Amazon) on the RCBS Pro Melt but if works out I'd as soon have the Lyman Mag25 at the price point. Then again I have no idea what the RCBS prices will be next year.

It's been long enough coming that maybe Lyman tested enough. Maybe Lyman figures lifetime on the electronics can be shorter than I hope it will be and/or shorter than the RCBS Pro Melt. The RCBS has a deserved reputation for the best on the market which leaves plenty of room for improvements in the Lyman Mag25 temperature control and display and lead drip and mold support. I just don't know if the potential improvements are there and if the quality control is uniformly strict.

Midway has one Lyman review slamming the mold support only for not being universal. The reviewer is returning the product.

Cast Boolits says it looks good and works good and works with my molds but the mold support needs modifications for some popular molds - suggested modifications include being sure any lead drips can fall all the way through any modified supports when the mold is removed.

Serious concerns at CastBoolits are that the circuit board has too much ambient heat from a hot lead pot including heat soak after shutoff as the lead solidifies with the internal cooling fan (? susceptible to heat damage itself?) off.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a Lyman or RCBS, I use the Magma. Several years ago I took a pole of casters & the RCBS was the pot of choice. Sorry I can't be of more help.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Midway showed stock on the Lyman 25, briefly, today 23 July. I have a Lyman on back order with Cabela's at a very nice price for eventual store pickup.

I've seen no explanation or discussion of the Lyman delays. It's not shocking that the RCBS Pro-melt is out of stock a lot given the conditions of the market. Commodity prices should be falling but I haven't seen alloy prices dropping much while lead wheel weights continue to fade as as a source - while some folks continue to sell smelted wheel weights so the lead is out there.

I've seen nothing new and nothing to add to the comments from late last year. I expect Midway will pester folks who got today's shipment for prompt user reports.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I read these reviews of modern lead furnaces with great interest. I currently use two antique Lyman pots, which are running great knock on wood, but I know one day I'll have to buy something new and wish to shop wisely.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the Mag25 first came out they had some problems with them and for awhile they quit shipping them. Since they have been back out I haven't found any feedback on them?

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
242 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.