Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

liberal limits on does in tn are killing the rut action and deer population
not to mention making the does a whole heck of alot smarter

less does = less breeding/rut time = less fawn recruitment= less deer overall

tn needs to look at this 3 doe a day limit and the effect it has had since 2008 and 2009

and the new biologist on ftcky needs a kick in the nads with earn a buck policy he came up with

once again
if you kill off way too many does
that = less rutting action and rutting time and also = less fawn recruitment

basic fuggin sense............................................

With fewer does, the rut you get will be a better/harder rut. There will be more competition for the does and better bucks will breed does and fewer cull bucks will breed them.

With an excess number of does, the rut isn't nearly as good. No competition for does. Bucks hookup and layup with a doe for a couple of days while she's hot. He'll try to move as little as possible with her to avoid other bucks. When done with her he will move to the next one who he won't have to search much for if there is a surplus of does.

With fewer does the bucks will move more and be more aggressive.

...but yes, there will likely be fewer deer if you kill more does.

I respectfully and totally disagree with the less does= more intense rut line of thought.
on also

Not sure how that doesn't make sense.

War Damn Eagle!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tennessee is just a fu(ked up state when it comes to deer hunting. There is some sort of ingrained/inbred brown-downer mentality that persists from East Tn to West.

Many of the counties in Middle and Western Tn do have high deer densities, and somewhat thusly there is a bleed-over thought process shared with One-Buck Ky hunters. Which is a trend toward allowing a mature age structure to develop. But that is hard to do by leaving the proverbial Unit L door wide open with a 3 buck limit. What happens annually is this migration of East Tn license plates showing up at West Tn public lands or the same hunters moving in to lease the property next to your family farm. And these guys gun and gun and gun anything and everything like sailors clubbing Dodo birds.

Tn is floating a license increase of $FIVE (5) dollars. Reading other forums you think that someone has threatened to rape their mommas. Oh the crying, the wailing, the gnashing of bleedin gums and bubba teef. If this state ever reverted to a ONE BUCK limit, these tards would run an electolux hose out and suck start a Beau James chevy tailpipe in a basement. God forbid.

We have a sort of mindset in Alabama that way too. It's perpetuated by the company line of the Dept of Conservation that if it weren't for cars killing so many deer that we'd be overrun. They rely on sheer numbers. 30 years ago we had fewer deer, but you NEVER saw them in the suburbs, and many counties that used to be unheard of for deer hunting are now producing numbers and quality deer. We now have many MANY more deer in the state, but many of them are unhuntable populations that live in cities and suburbs. Does need to be shot, but not in the numbers we do here. When I first started hunting in South Alabama 30+ years ago it was common to see 10-25 deer running together, but no horns in the bunch. Don't know any place where that happens any more, but we are now killing better deer. We need better management, but the Dept of Conservation here is 100 years behind the times. Took them way too long to allow killing of does, now they want too many killed.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to hunt with a guy that said "you can't stockpile deer". He seemed to be under the impression that they were born with the antlers they'd always have, and that the herd was eradicated and reappeared each season, magically I guess. Deer simply didn't age, or breed. Dumb, but he wasn't alone in that kind of thinking, and he believed in killing every legal buck he could get in his scope...he'd shoot 5 or 10 75lb nubbin bucks a season and think he was really a dandy hunter. Proud as punch of each one he killed. One guy I knew took 18 spikes in one season. Never occurred to him they might grow in to bigger deer...he complained that we didn't have any decent bucks on our land to shoot. Wonder why?!

War Damn Eagle!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by .280Rem
I used to hunt with a guy that said "you can't stockpile deer". He seemed to be under the impression that they were born with the antlers they'd always have, and that the herd was eradicated and reappeared each season, magically I guess. Deer simply didn't age, or breed. Dumb, but he wasn't alone in that kind of thinking, and he believed in killing every legal buck he could get in his scope...he'd shoot 5 or 10 75lb nubbin bucks a season and think he was really a dandy hunter. Proud as punch of each one he killed. One guy I knew took 18 spikes in one season. Never occurred to him they might grow in to bigger deer...he complained that we didn't have any decent bucks on our land to shoot. Wonder why?!

I love to hear that kind of stuff as well. I have been hunting down there on a friends property for about 10 years and we usually did not kill does but if we did it was in the AM in the woods and not in a food plot. I had roughly 400 acres to hunt and there was just me on the property . His relatives had 500 acres next door and they belonged to the "if it is brown it is down group" in fact on three sides of him that philosophy held true. Living there year round my friend sees the same results you have been seeing as have I and I hunt there maybe 2 weeks out of the season in Late January. One year I had a very old mature buck come out of some pines at dark o thirty with a 25 yard shot if that. He was missing half of one side of his rack. I let him go and he continued onto his neighbors land where they killed him .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
when all the brown downers in tn start complaining about no deer is probably when the govs cronyies on the twrc will command the twra to reduce doe limits so the population will rebound in overhunted areas

the brown downers are the root of this and eye candy limits for them as put out by the twrc to the twra for license sales are to blame also

from very reliable inside sources that I have spoken and others have also spoken too

almost 2/3rds of the twra biologist 5-7 yrs ago were against increased doe limits and having back to back ml and then rifle season
a lot of them are also in favor of a 2 buck limit
which most people I hunt with or associate with are also in favor of

our regs
are designed for the bubba brown downer hunters who get out opening weekend of ml and rifle
guys who might hunt 6-7 days a yr max is what drives our regs
and then the guys who have connections with twrc political appointees by the governor
good ole boy shyt................

the regs when we had 2 separate ml seasons and rifle seasons
and bow seasons worked just fine

at least the deer got a respite between ml and rifle with that week of bow inbetween

this was changed for simplicitys sake
cause it just soo confusing to your average hunter according to the twrc

b.s.
it was done so friends of twrc appointees could hunt back to back ml and rifle cause they was ticked off cause bow hunters got some pre rut and rut action

unfortunately it will never change

twra people have stopped fighting the govs appointees on the trwc cause of job security
which I have also heard from good sources

and going to the meetings don't make a difference in squat
unless you have some connection to a twrc appointee from your region

that is what is going in tn deer and turkey regs

the state needs to go to a 2 buck limit
and 1 doe a day limit and do a 3 turkey limit

then things will rebound

look at what they did when ehd hit hard in 2007

not a fuggin thing

they actually expanded unit l
and in some of the hardest hit counties at that........

trwc runs the show and has control of the strings of the trwa in all reality............

I'm with that. I just wish people would only shoot what they eat. I can't eat 87 deer a year, I'm not hunting to feed the homeless, I hunt to feed me.

+ 1

Here, here Scott !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
Do you guys ever have seasons where it seems that your entire deer herd goes nocturnal for a while? I know too much hunting pressure can do that with deer and hogs, but we've not been hunting much over the last few weeks and deer movement has slowed to a crawl. Cameras reveal lots of deer but only nighttime photos. Everybody around us is reporting the same thing. Our acreage is in a very rural area with a lot of different landowners and several big hunting clubs but it is now rare to hear more than one gunshot on a weekend evening. Everybody is scratching their heads. It's been pretty warm lately and the moon has been bright, but this seems really odd, as we're not doing any very different from previous deer seasons. Of the last 5 times I've been on a stand, I've seen one deer, total. That hasn't happened to me in at least 10 years. It's weird.......

Honestly, I'd say this is more the norm than not for Southeastern deer hunting. The seasons in most states are ridiculously long and the limits too high. Take Georgia for example. Our rifle season in the North part of the state (including ML) is 82 days! In the Southern Part of the state it's a whopping 96 days. This in a state with 10 million people and an over the counter license that allows you to shoot 2 bucks and 10 doe.

Year after year I see many deer the first 2 weeks of season then they pull a disappearing act. Our rut typically is around November 10th in the part of the state I'm in and we'll see activity, but once the rut is over it's like a wasteland. We have 7700 acres of hunting and we have a few people that shoot things they shouldn't shoot but we set much lower limits than the state allows and we do our best not to over pressure but still they aren't stupid.

I have many trial cameras on the property and I only check them when the wind is right for me to sneak in and get them and that being said it's still no more than once a week and sometimes only once a month. The first couple of weeks of the season I'm getting lots of daytime pictures and after that it's almost always at night. Sometimes they'll hit the plots during the first hour or last hour but still almost nocturnal. I have a couple of cameras that get 500+ pictures a week and less than 10% will ever be in the day.

The first two weeks of season I rarely had sits where I'd see less than 5 deer and usually it was 10-15+. After rut that went down to a trickle where I'd see one or two and rarely none. We have a break in the doe harvest from Dec 1st - 25th and most people in Georgia don't hunt much after Thanksgiving. I suspect when I go back after Christmas I'll have a lot more daylight pictures and see plenty of deer as they've almost had a month of time with very little hunting / human pressure.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well...as a substitute.....SHOOT HOGS!! The sumbeeches are gonna rule the world if folks don't!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No doubt that things generally tighten up for us after Thanksgiving due to pressure and the number of deer we see will go down for a while, like you mention. This year has just been an extreme, and it seems to be the same for nearly everyone else around here that I speak with. Early to Mid-December generally turns out hunts where you may see only half as many deer you were seeing in the first few weeks of the season. We're now having weeks where 6-10 different hunts were made on our 1,000 acres and 3-4 deer were seen in total. Good bucks keep showing up on the trail cams, but only at night.

It seems like a lot of the hunters are out of the woods after Christmas, so I generally see deer numbers start to pick up for our January hunting, including the primitive weapons season. I hope that is the case and will be trying hard to do some freezer-filling over the next month. Bought an additional chest freezer to set back some extra venison and pork, but I may just leave the dang thing in its cardboard box for now!

Now with even more aplomb
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Well...as a substitute.....SHOOT HOGS!! The sumbeeches are gonna rule the world if folks don't!!

The rule on our place is that you have to shoot every one that you see, buck hunting or not.....

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
some interesting opinons on here for sure

excessively liberal doe limits basically suck

and brown downers truly suck.......................

our regs in tn are broke.......................

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tennessee is just a fu(ked up state when it comes to deer hunting. There is some sort of ingrained/inbred brown-downer mentality that persists from East Tn to West.

Many of the counties in Middle and Western Tn do have high deer densities, and somewhat thusly there is a bleed-over thought process shared with One-Buck Ky hunters. Which is a trend toward allowing a mature age structure to develop. But that is hard to do by leaving the proverbial Unit L door wide open with a 3 buck limit. What happens annually is this migration of East Tn license plates showing up at West Tn public lands or the same hunters moving in to lease the property next to your family farm. And these guys gun and gun and gun anything and everything like sailors clubbing Dodo birds.

Tn is floating a license increase of $FIVE (5) dollars. Reading other forums you think that someone has threatened to rape their mommas. Oh the crying, the wailing, the gnashing of bleedin gums and bubba teef. If this state ever reverted to a ONE BUCK limit, these tards would run an electolux hose out and suck start a Beau James chevy tailpipe in a basement. God forbid.

jeez

that 5 bucks is a can of sundrop and a pack of cigs man.........

crazy laugh laugh laugh

I would supply vacuum hose generously also for those in need.

geuss what I found on 172 acres of tva federal land this morning

yep the good ole adjacent land owner land grab permanent tree stand

didn't cut this one like I have in the past laugh laugh laugh
good 20-25 footer climbing stick set up with a big ole hang on seat and bow holder
with all types of cut down trees all around it
you might want to call your friend
he might be interested in its location
it is probably violating at least 3 different fed/public land laws.

did see 2 does early
and some real good buck sign
might spend some more time out their
at least I don't have to deal with quail f a g s out their

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
some interesting opinons on here for sure

excessively liberal doe limits basically suck

and brown downers truly suck.......................

our regs in tn are broke.......................

When the issue of doe over harvest is brought up in Unit L in Tennessee a laughing response is what's heard usually. TWRA will promptly say that thermal imaging shows that numbers are fine, and I'll bet they are in the areas they check, but even in Unit L, a blanket limit of 3 does a day ain't a good idea.

This is not just coming from some disgruntled hunters, but from guys who manage some extensive properties and not only use hunter data, but run a ton of cameras. They have noticed a trend over the last several years of fewer and fewer does. Everybody who has several years experience knows what a bumper acorn crop does to deer sightings, but this isn't the same.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.