Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well as few folks on here might remember me talking about my mom and great aunt planning their first elk hunt.
[Linked Image]

It started last may when my uncle died unexpectedly. we were coming back from the funeral sharing stories of hunting with (my) Uncle Gale. he taught my mom how to hunt, came out west to hunt with auntie "phooey" since forever. so I suggested they do a cow elk hunt in his memory this fall. my great aunt hasn't hunted in 10 years and neither of them have taken an elk. they kinda laughed and thought yeah it would be cool, but didn't commit until I pushed (urged) them. they put in, and low and behold they drew South Dakota cow elk tags. one of the areas I had earmarked for them was outside their area, so I did some research and networking and we had a few spots to go.

first half of the season opened during the last 2 weeks of oct. We hit the forest service hard, lots of other hunters and very few sighting of elk. Had lots of good fellowship and reconnecting through stories and just good together time.

Mom came down for the second weekend of the oct season and we saw 3 bulls fighing at 150 yards and a herd passed at 280 yards just moving too fast for a comfortable shot.

fast forward to the second half of the season. (first 2 weeks in december) was warmer than usual and we sat on food plots, saddles and hit the forest service as best we could. no luck. we saw one on private land we couldn't hunt.

The final weekend I convinced them to come back for one last try. The evening they got here I got a text from a landowner friend, the elk were there and likely to come off the fields at first light. the stage was set. we met at his driveway at 5:45 am and headed up to the "spot". we sat for a while as the sun came up glassing the hilltops. the landowner snuck up to see where they were moving. after he informed us we needed to move we headed for some pines about 300 yards to the south west, got set up and waited. I spotted the herd first as they crested the rise. one by one they jumped the fence at 250 yards. 11 bulls were in the group and ranged from small spikes to a nice 300" plus. a few mews from a cow call and a small band broke off to investigate. then they got to 150 yards the herd cow turned broadside and stopped. my mom was off to my right about 20' and I was with my aunt. I told auntie to take the cow when she stopped, as soon as she got on it I heard mom shoot and the cow flopped over. my aunt looked at me and I said in a heartbeat "shoot the one next to her then". she got on it and made a good hit. she said she missed and I corrected her saying she had in fact hit it yet it was still on it's feet and she should shoot it again. with one shot it flopped over never to move again.
before the shooting we watched the herd for about 30 minutes as they approached. when we got up to them it was all the excitement you could imagine from two first timers. all the usual "wow they are so big!" and "I can replay the shots in slow motion in my mind" and recanting as we waited for the truck to show up. Mom reminisced about times with her dad and my uncle and how proud they would have been. she used grandpas 30-06 to take her first elk. I volunteered to do the brunt of the gutting, but they both insisted on helping some with the process. we got them loaded and headed to the headquarters.
[Linked Image]
we skinned/quartered them and got them in the walk in cooler right away.
processing took the evening and the following day. I couldn't have asked for a better hunt to a more deserving duo of ladies who needed this.

Uncle Gale, I know you're smiling down on them, they done well.

[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice!!!!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's so cool. Awesome story. I'm sure they could teach Travis a few things....Tell them good job and congrats!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go, ladies! Stories like this are why I put up with a lot of the other bullsh*t here on the Campfire. Congratulations all around!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great story, Congrats.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats all around on a successful hunt. Cool story too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very awesome, thanks for sharing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great job! Proud for em!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for posting such a great hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cool story, good on ya, way to go.

Congrats to the ladies!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Knuckle bump to you and the two ladies! Well done by all!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good deal! That's pretty awesome!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats to the "'ol gals" and to you too, for putting it in play.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great job Ryan and ladies! Lots of great memories made together.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
GREAT story and Best to your family!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Super story! I'm more impressed with this than the typical type A guy that shoots a 373 bull.

LOL
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love this story. Tell your aunt and mom congratulations. You are a wonderful son and nephew.

Perry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool Congratulations to all three of you.
I'm happy for them and proud of you smile

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That's awesome. Congratulations to them and you for being an excellent guide.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.