Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I built an insulated closet to house a 2nd refrigerator in my pavilion. I heat it with a 250 watt halogen worklight. I connected a line voltage thermostat to a receptacle and keep it set to 60*. The refrigerator wouldn't run when the outside temp was under 40* so the freezer would thaw. The heat also keeps the humidity from condensing on the metal refrigerator case.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine has a big sticker that says,

"Warning!!! This Safe contains Black Powder!!! The use of a cutting torch will result in an explosion / death!!!"

Those signs deter thieves like the beeping horns on a car in the parking lots. Thieves laugh, then go ahead with their theft...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 4321
Leave it in the garage. Store an acetylene torch and a worm-drive Skil 77 nearby and have an abrasive disc already installed on it to save the crooks precious time.

Thief's will be in for a big surprise and an even bigger BOOM if they try a cutting torch on my safe that's in the Garage! Mine has a big sticker that says,

"Warning!!! This Safe contains Black Powder!!! The use of a cutting torch will result in an explosion / death!!!"

Most Thief's are so stupid they would think the black powder explosion would help them get the safe open quicker

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt they'll be fine in Gilette, due to your low humidity. I'd keep a golden rod or desiccant in there just to be safe. Might keep a close eye on the moisture inside the safe during spring and fall where you see your biggest temperature swings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Those signs deter thieves like the beeping horns on a car in the parking lots. Thieves laugh, then go ahead with their theft...

They won't be laughing if they try it on mine. The Garage safe has all the Goex and ammo in it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They won't be laughing if they try it on mine. The Garage safe has all the Goex and ammo in it.

Not a bad idea. But I'd have to buy a few or 10 more pounds of black powder.

I think I have 1 lb.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing I left out on my first post is the safe that I have in my garage is on a wood platform (and bolted to the house from inside the safe). This eliminates most rust problems of the safe and its contents, not a good idea to put a safe on a bare cement floor in a garage.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That is true, but you won't be laughing either, with your safe contents and your garage spread all over the neighborhood. Signs don't deter theft...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Oakster
Looking for voices of experience.... Has anyone used gun safes in an unheated garage? What are the problems. It seems that the temperature swings would not be good for them. I am in Wyoming so vary between -15 and 110 degrees over the year. I do not want to put a safe in my basement due to the tight access and stairwells. I also do not want to put one upstairs without having the floors reinforced.

Yes.

I am in Havre and I think most would qualify this area as dry. Temps are similar to yours but it gets a lot colder than -15.

I leave mine in the garage but it is climate controlled. I keep it at 35. However; there are plenty of people that keep them in their garage (I know the guy that has delivered most of them) and they have no issues.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad has a safe in an unheated garage, so do several friends her in south central pa. Dad has had issues, stopped with vci use, friends have all been fine.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's always best to clearly describe your firearms storage and security measures on da internet. I like to leave a sign out front with my work schedule and travel plans.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hope you don't have a house fire, you won't feel so clever if you blow up the fire fighters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one in my unheated garage. It gets 95 down to single digits here and 90% humidity in the summer. I put 2 tubs of dessicant in the safe. I've had zero issues.

Good luck getting into it. I guarantee potential thieves won't be tipping it over to gain any sort of leverage. Of course they could bring a jackhammer, a sawzall, and various pry bars to have a go at it. Of course they'll have to have it done by the time the local police show up or my neighbor cop or anyone one of my armed neighbors. Good luck....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Oakster
Looking for voices of experience.... Has anyone used gun safes in an unheated garage? What are the problems. It seems that the temperature swings would not be good for them. I am in Wyoming so vary between -15 and 110 degrees over the year. I do not want to put a safe in my basement due to the tight access and stairwells. I also do not want to put one upstairs without having the floors reinforced.
In this general area , I dont think you will have much issue with condensation. A golden rod or other humidity control should be fine. Depending on your neighbors , maybe a little cover up to hide the fact that your gun safe is in garage while door is open makes since. I do see a lot of safes in garages around though. I think in general people here aint the stealing type.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've always understood that if the temp inside your safe is 3 or 4 degrees higher than outside, that will keep the moisture at bay, and that seems to be the entire principle behind the heater rods that I've used without problems for years. A small lamp should do the same. However, I don't have a safe in an unheated garage.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will be fine in your location where it is fairly dry.

As mentioned, lift the safe off the floor with 2x4 or similar to reduce any condensation and keep some minimal heat or drying system (goldenrod, desiccant, low wattage bulb) inside.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by whit
I built an insulated closet to house a 2nd refrigerator in my pavilion. I heat it with a 250 watt halogen worklight. I connected a line voltage thermostat to a receptacle and keep it set to 60*. The refrigerator wouldn't run when the outside temp was under 40* so the freezer would thaw. The heat also keeps the humidity from condensing on the metal refrigerator case.

You just need to keep the compressor and oil warm enough to operate. That can be accomplished with a 40 - 60 watt bulb sitting near the compressor.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One of my very good friends here on the 'fire uses this and it works great in his safe: http://www.damprid.com/moisture-odor-control-center/how-damprid-works

No rust on the firearms and water in the bottom of the cup. This is in south Texas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know that will remove moisture i have had it for ice removal and it did "make water" and turn into a brick. But it is salt and putting that in my safe would worry me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.