-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been a loyal Verizon customer since I've had a cell phone, but after reading about other options I decided to switch. Mr Money Mustache recommended Republic Wireless and this is where I first heard of the company. They only offer a few smart phones made by Motorola which primarily run Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat, the newest of which is the Motorola X (2nd Generation).

Republic Wireless uses Sprint cell towers, and have plans from $5 (Only wifi calling/texting) all the way to $40 (Unlimited everything on 4G). I went with the $25/month (Unlimited everything 3G only) option.

Cell reception and call quality are both improved over an iPhone on Verizon, and I've dropped zero calls since switching. Customer service is excellent, and you can change which plan you're using twice a month for free. Say you've got a big trip and want 4G coverage for a week or two in the city.

Phone itself is very good, quite similar in size to an iPhone 6+. Very easy to read for those that need reading glasses. (Laffin')
All around I'm very impressed and best of all it saved me quite a bit of money.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a contract and did you have to buy the phone?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My GF has been using RW for a year and it's a great deal if you're a heavy user. I'm not so I just use Tracfone for $7 a month.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That seems like a pretty good deal.

Are there any hidden fees? Or is it a flat $25 per month, everything included?

Also, in terms of coverage, are you in the city our out in the country?

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
fishhead:
There is no contract required and you buy the phone outright.

Whiptail:
I'm definitely a heavy user, but I look at my phone more as a business expense.

SCRooster:
I am in 'the city'. No hidden fees

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems in my part of SC only Verizon has decent cell tower coverage. I know that my AT&T is pretty much useless once I get away from any decent sized city.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
can you port your existing phone number?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I left Verizon as a contract customer about a year ago. I bought a Samsung Galaxy for $99 and use their pay as you go at $60 month. Not as good as RW but $20+ month cheaper than being on contract.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Slidellkig:
There are similar Verizon type options of comparable cost, check them out.

smalljawbasser:
Yes you can port your existing number.

Raeford:
I thought about going that route. Waiting until that-next-new-phone came out kept me using an iPhone 4 for years, despite being shattered on both sides. (Keep it in an otterbox and it's fine; true of any smartphone regardless of manufacture.) Moto came out with a new device and it was very well received, so I jumped ship.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When in Bama I now use Net10 for my BB, $65 a month gives me unlimited international text/picture messaging, unlimited international calling which is great as I call home to Canada daily and to the UK several times a week. It used to cost me between $300 and $500 a month before with AT & T, depending.

While in Canada I use my Virgin BB, $55 a month I get unlimited international texting and international calling, with USA and UK calling being predominant.

While I am in the UK, I use my Virgin BB, I don't even want to talk about what it costs cry

I bought all the phones outright.

I so want a phone to use anywhere, anytime, that I do not have to go broke using. I know it is never happening frown

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Glad to hear options are increasing and quality is acceptable. I bailed on Comcast cable and home phone recently putting $100/ month back in my pocket. Will keep an eye on cell phone options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the last 8 years I've gone from tMobile to ATT, Net 10, and now with Sprint.

Tmobile and ATT were great. Net10 was fine service wise, but the machine I had was a POS. Sprint is decent, but pricey.

Question- What is the difference between 3G and 4G? I think my iPhone 4s is still 3G?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George, I have no intention of hi-jacking your thread, but rather adding to it....

Our own Rancho loco mentioned a provider called PURETALKUSA, I put my one Son on their plan, and I just joined under the Family plan,

We have two lines for 15 dollars a month, including all taxes and fees, yes 15 bucks for two lines.

Understand this plan is good for about 400 minutes a month, No data. Unused minutes do roll over.

Puretalk appears to be a AT&T tower user, Coverage here in Wisco is excellent.

You can port your own number, if your phone qualifys...

My other Son has Pageplus celluar, 12 bucks plus taxes, which covers 250 minutes and 100 mb of data, however he will soon be also joining Puretalk on my family plan,

3 lines, 20 bucks all in. No contract.

You need more minutes, it's available,

You need data, that's available too.

The major providers, US Celluar, Verizon all wanted about 160 a month plus taxes and fees for the 3 lines.

They can pound sand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Verizon is about the only carrier around here that has good coverage but they're pounding my sand! We have four phones using data & txt and it's about three Bens a month! I'm hoping Vigin will get in here and cause a stir. Competition is a good thing.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kenneth
George, I have no intention of hi-jacking your thread, but rather adding to it....

Our own Rancho loco mentioned a provider called PURETALKUSA, I put my one Son on their plan, and I just joined under the Family plan,

We have two lines for 15 dollars a month, including all taxes and fees, yes 15 bucks for two lines.

Understand this plan is good for about 400 minutes a month, No data. Unused minutes do roll over.

Puretalk appears to be a AT&T tower user, Coverage here in Wisco is excellent.

You can port your own number, if your phone qualifys...

My other Son has Pageplus celluar, 12 bucks plus taxes, which covers 250 minutes and 100 mb of data, however he will soon be also joining Puretalk on my family plan,

3 lines, 20 bucks all in. No contract.

You need more minutes, it's available,

You need data, that's available too.

The major providers, US Celluar, Verizon all wanted about 160 a month plus taxes and fees for the 3 lines.

They can pound sand.

sounds good. I have US Cell just talk, no data and with fees for 2 phones it's almost $90 a month. I can knock off $70 a month. or $840 a year. Looks like they don't cover the Lacrosse area but I hardly ever go around that area. Do you want a referral bonus? I'll send your # in when I sign up and you'll get the referral. PM me your #

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straight Talk - available at Wal-Mart, $45,00 a month Unlimited everything, no contract. Buy your own Phone.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just switched to these people from Verizon upon advice from my Brother: https://www.consumercellular.com/

Verizon was ripping me off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,729
Posts18,457,448
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.