Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Picked up a 2003 Cummin's last week. What's the go to site for info. Never owned Dodge/Ram before.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two things all Cummins guys need to know...

1. It is Cummins, not Cummin's
2. If anyone asks, you get 37mpg unloaded and 29mpg with a 15,000 pound trailer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
cumminsforum.com, turbodieselregister.com and dieseltruckresource.com.

You will thank me later.

Congrats on the truck! I am on my second.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by K1500
Two things all Cummins guys need to know...

1. It is Cummins, not Cummin's
2. If anyone asks, you get 37mpg unloaded and 29mpg with a 15,000 pound trailer.

I thought they got 29mpg towing the Empire State Building up the Grapvine.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only with a tailwind.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the reply's. I'll work on my spelling.

Tailwind, loaded or not, 29 would be perfect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you can get 20+ on the road with a 2003. Good trucks, I had an 05 and loved it. Programmers = transmissions

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by acooper1983
you can get 20+ on the road with a 2003. Good trucks, I had an 05 and loved it. Programmers = transmissions

Bad programmers = transmissions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you try the high performance stuff be sure you knoe ho to drive it. I know all hairy palmed cigar smokin men know how to drive but, have a pyro, tach, and boost gauge and be sure you know what the heck each is and what it means. If you have a manual transmission, and understand how to drive it you can make a lot of power and keep it all together. But if you abuse the drivetrain or lug the motor it will cost $$$$$

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm rather fond of them. I bought my first one in 1988. It was one of the first made for the 89 year run. After a mere 306,000 miles, I bought an 06 which I still have.
I "only" get about 18 plus unloaded around town, driving up and down the foothills, etc. we have here. With my fully loaded Lance Camper, and towing either of my Jeeps, I get about 13 mpg. unless I'm climbing grades alot. I no trouble keeping up with the traffic when so loaded even going uphill. E

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dennis81082: I now have 130,000 miles on my 1996 Dodge diesel 4x4 with 5 speed manual transmission.
I am a notorious non-hotrodder and I get 23 to 24 miles per gallon on the highway.
I leave my ten ply traction tires on it year round.
I only use it for fishing and Hunting type excursions.
It has been trouble free and very reliable.
The radio/cd player has much difficulty with control knobs not working - no fun this and this is rampant on this years trucks.
But other than that I think you are gonna love your Dodge Cummins.
I hope this truck lasts me the rest of my life (I baby it).
BUT... if I were to win the lottery I would NOT buy another diesel!
The reason being is I just hate paying the diesel prices which are assbackwards from reality!
Todays latest gas engined trucks are said to get 200,000 miles on an engine before overhaul is considered.
Good luck with your new to you rig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dennis81082: I now have 130,000 miles on my 1996 Dodge diesel 4x4 with 5 speed manual transmission.
I am a notorious non-hotrodder and I get 23 to 24 miles per gallon on the highway.
I leave my ten ply traction tires on it year round.
I only use it for fishing and Hunting type excursions.
It has been trouble free and very reliable.
The radio/cd player has much difficulty with control knobs not working - no fun this and this is rampant on this years trucks.
But other than that I think you are gonna love your Dodge Cummins.
I hope this truck lasts me the rest of my life (I baby it).
BUT... if I were to win the lottery I would NOT buy another diesel!
The reason being is I just hate paying the diesel prices which are assbackwards from reality!
Todays latest gas engined trucks are said to get 200,000 miles on an engine before overhaul is considered.
Good luck with your new to you rig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have a '95 Ford Ranger with 310,000 that still get 20 to 21mpg. I was hoping to get the same kind of mileage with the Cummins to help offset the higher cost of diesel plus I've always wanted a Dodge diesel. The one I just bought was babied according to the original owner (85,000 miles) and it looks well cared for. I'll use it for hunting/trapping and anything else important. I don't have a heavy foot and once I change a few things I hope it will last me till the bucket gets kicked.

Thanks for all the comments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a buddy with an '02 and last I knew was over 400,000mi.
If they didn't have a Dodge wraped around the engine it would be one of the best trucks ever produced.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
If they didn't have a Dodge wraped around the engine it would be one of the best trucks ever produced.

Haha, too true! I speak from experience...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Laugh all you want to about the Dodges. Around here the word is that they never show up as trade ins. I know a couple, the husband works for a local Dodge dealership, who had the staff of the dealership agree to notify them if a used Cummins came in. After two years of waiting, they gave up. None came in as a trade in during that time. The gas engine models did, but not the diesel models.
I paid $26,700 for my 06 out the door, license, registration fees, everything. I'm told I can get $26,000 for it today. E

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a 03 that gave 83000 trouble free miles. Traded it on an brand new 06 when we made an offer and the dealer took it. I believe 03 was the first year for that common rail and 17" tires and rear disc brakes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have an 05 at work we use for towing heavy stuff. While I don't care for Dodges, I can't fault that engine. Way better tow rig than the Fords we have. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have an '08 with the manual tranny. It's weak spot is the double flywheel clutch. Mine failed at 80k. I had it replaced with a heavy duty version that's supposed to last 200k.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My son has my 95. Over 400,00 on it..

Biggest issue is MI salted roads...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dodge trucks aren't bad, the only issue you can expect is somewhere around 100k on the odo you'll need to replace the ball ends on the front end, and perhaps the front hubs (one way bearings) if it's 4X4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The dodge trucks aren't bad, the only issue you can expect is somewhere around 100k on the odo you'll need to replace the ball ends on the front end, and perhaps the front hubs (one way bearings) if it's 4X4.

Probably dependent on the roads travelled. My 2003 went 245k on the balljoints and had the original wheel hubs when I sold it at 297k miles. I also had stock wheels and tires on it and kept them balanced.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think 458 was thinking tie rod ends, not ball joints. I would really like to get 245K out of my ball joints, mainly because I don't like f-ing with ball joints.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis81082;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and congratulations on your low mileage '03

We looked for a bit before we found an 5 year old '03 with low mileage and in good shape and have been pleased with it although we don't put a lot of miles on it either.

So the cumminsforum already mentioned is a great resource and I've been a member there since picking up our truck 7 years ago.

The '03 year was a new body style, with a better auto transmission in it. I wanted to find an '03,04 or 04� because after that they had to comply with more emissions control stuff and while the power was increased, it seems they didn't get quite as good fuel economy.

If yours hasn't been done already, the lift pump on those years was on the side of the engine block and did give trouble. If you still have the Carter pump on the side of the block and it fails a Dodge dealer will only replace it with an in-tank conversion unit.

After market shops will put them elsewhere so there's a heads up on that issue.

I've got 70000 miles on mine - it's a Pennsylvania truck originally so it's miles and not Canuck kilometers - and so far we've replaced 4 shocks with Monroe gas shocks, the steering stabilizer shock and both front u-joints.

My mechanic said when he had the front end apart to do the u-joints that the metallic brake pads are starting to disintegrate - more from time than anything else - so we'll get them done this spring.

There was a bit of an issue with some of them breaking one of the fuel lines - can't recall which one right now, sorry - and if memory serves it was a vibration issue???

We replaced the intake hose between the air cleaner box and the turbo with a cool hose from Diesel Power Products in Spokane and picked up almost 1 MPG - Imperial gallons though....

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c-140-2003-04-59l-dodge-cummins-dpp-cool-hoses-hose-kits.aspx

I think I can hear the turbo spool up a wee bit quicker with it too and there's no lack of power for sure.

We've been running 285 17 tires on ours and haven't needed to reprogram the computer. If one goes much higher than that I understand that you should reprogram for correct shift points, etc.

Anyway here's ours camping somewhere near Florence on the Oregon coast.
[Linked Image]

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there tonight sir. If I can be of any help I'll do my best to so please feel free to ask.

Good luck with your new pickup and all the best to you in 2015.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
All replies noted and thanks for the info.

Dwayne, the items you mentioned are pretty much the same as my truck.

I'll look into the intake hose, I hadn't heard of that particular change. Mine is stock with a K&N filter.

Mechanic friend told me about the lift pump, will ask about the fuel line.

Same tires & a timed mile looks accurate. The front end has been upgraded. I wonder if a change to a manual hub would be helpful.

I have an exhaust system replacement to install.

Might think about a programmer later for fuel economy. I'm not looking for performance, it's got plenty.

Thanks again to all.

Last edited by Dennis81082; 01/10/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis81082;
Thanks for the reply and further information.

I should have noted that if the lift pump is still in the original placement on the side of the block - driver's side near the firewall - then for instance up here a Napa replacement that bolts right in was quoted for less than $400. The in-tank conversion from Dodge was just shy of $2000. frown

While some folks really like the K&N filters - I ran them on a '90 Jetta turbo diesel and a 99 F150 and didn't see any difference in performance really. I wasn't enthusiastic enough about them to put one on any more vehicles in our family fleet of 5 if that says anything.

I looked briefly at one manual hub kit, but at over $2500 for the parts alone - and that was when our dollar was at par too - anyway it just didn't pencil out for me as ever paying for itself.

The broken fuel lines apparently just let go typically, but it isn't in all of them by any means so if yours isn't weeping badly anywhere then if it was mine I'd just ignore it.

As to which programmer is a good one - I'd look into it at the cumminsforum and see if there's any consensus. I will say that last time I looked into it there I wouldn't describe what I found as "consensus". laugh

It wasn't quite as bad as a Leupold thread in the Optics section here - but consensus it was not..... wink I'd maybe see if your mechanic has a preference as that's sometimes the easy path - sorta like having your gunsmith install barrels he likes as opposed to ones you like and he's had difficulty with.

Overall though I like ours quite well and I hope your's gives as good a service to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would pass on the k&n if you do much dirt driving. I was a gen 2 dodge guy, but 2790 air filters were all i would run on it.

Is it an auto or stick? I could not drive a dodge without a programmer or chip. Smarty's worked really well on those years of truck and made them fun to drive and helped the mileage.....if you could stay out of the boost.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by high_country_
I would pass on the k&n if you do much dirt driving. I was a gen 2 dodge guy, but 2790 air filters were all i would run on it.

Is it an auto or stick? I could not drive a dodge without a programmer or chip. Smarty's worked really well on those years of truck and made them fun to drive and helped the mileage.....if you could stay out of the boost.

I've decided to replace the K&N (I have a farm & lots of dirt roads), What is a 2790? I couldn't find that number.

It's a 28RE, plan to buy a Smarty Jr asap..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have an '06 Dodge/Cummins I bought new and have 109k on it. It's been a good truck - very reliable with just a few small repairs along the way. The only repair I've needed that didn't sit right with me was the front diff. pinion bearings started making noise before 100k - no explanation why other than it shouldn't be needed anywhere near that soon. I just had that fixed along with the ball joints last week.

Every time I start getting the bug to get another truck, I talk myself out of it because I just can't find a thing wrong with this one, other than the back seat is too small for my grandsons (I really want a full crew cab smile ).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bearings on my 06 front diff are also making noise and I will be replacing them soon.

I'm giving serious consideration to getting a commuter car, that way my 06 should be the last truck I need to buy. Well, so long as I don't let my kids drive it shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a second Dodge Cummins, because... you'll never wear two of them out. I've got two 96 Dodge Cummins, 1 with the automatic and the second with the 5 speed manual. The automatic I've had since new with 205K miles on it. In 2003 I found my second Cummins which was also a 96 with very low miles, now showing 105K on the odometer. At my age (62) I'll never wear them out now. Both are 4wd.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_Walter
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a second Dodge Cummins, because... you'll never wear two of them out. I've got two 96 Dodge Cummins, 1 with the automatic and the second with the 5 speed manual. The automatic I've had since new with 205K miles on it. In 2003 I found my second Cummins which was also a 96 with very low miles, now showing 105K on the odometer. At my age (62) I'll never wear them out now. Both are 4wd.

I agree, you should sell the one with 105k on the odometer to me. No sense in insuring two trucks wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
782 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.