Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen people spend too much time trying to concentrate on the hole instead of the front sight. Forget about the hole being there, the eyes will line that up.

I watched a guy fumble [bleep] one and asked 'What the hell are you doing'

He said he was trying to make sure the front sight was exactly in the center of the aperture. Just let the eye take care of that, it will do it naturally.

That said, don't underestimate opens either. I've been hunting them quite a bit of late, they work just as well.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,

I called them and told them it was a pre 64 Model 70, but they insisted I send them the hole spacing distance for the rear. Never got around to doing it.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Different hole spacing with them, though the majority are .86 I believe.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by hangunnr
......or you could just use binoculars to look at things instead of pointing your rifle at them.

CR

Yep, I thought that was why we carried binos. I get real worried when I see people using their rifle to glass stuff.

Guess I should have used the binos on these first and then shouldered the rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WTH is that?

[Linked Image]

Or this:

[Linked Image]

Or this????

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm????

[Linked Image]

If you had time to take a dang picture......you had time to look through your binoculars! LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The model 70 pre 64 standards definitely handle better with open sights. Still a leetle heavy, but the improvement in handling is easily felt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No [bleep], but not the point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by hangunnr
......or you could just use binoculars to look at things instead of pointing your rifle at them.

CR

Yep.

If you have time to fiddle with scope magnification, or watch the buck chase a doe for several minutes, you have time to use binos.

Plus a hundert gazillion!

This is BS in the type of hunting the OP is talking about. Those bucks are dipping in and out of cover, you better be in the scope once the deer is spotted and ready to shoot when legality is realized or you can kiss that one good by.

Unless you've gleaned more information somehow from the OP......he doesn't say that. On one, he said he had to turn his scope up with deer at 200 yards - so I gather that he had more time than you put on.

The other, he said he watched it for several minutes. More time than you put on. Every situation is different. But it sounded to me and several others that he had time.

So go ahead and call "BS".......but from what I read and re-read, he had time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In his situation, it seems he most certainly did.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if your own eyes made the decision for you?

I had to use binos on this guy due to him being out a bit and lighting.

[Linked Image]

I didn't on this guy, again due to distance-close-and lighting.

[Linked Image]

My beef is with those who say one must always use binos first.

All situations are different. But the OP said it was a question of legality. AND it seems that he would have had time to use binocs to make sure it was legal. Not criticizing and NEVER said that all hunters absolutely have to use their binoculars before they shoulder their rifle and shoot. That's absurd to the one hundert gazillionth degree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No [bleep], but not the point.

Was tongue in [bleep] cheek. Damn!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Missed it.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

This is BS in the type of hunting the OP is talking about. Those bucks are dipping in and out of cover, you better be in the scope once the deer is spotted and ready to shoot when legality is realized or you can kiss that one good by.

Guys, I don't know JWP, never talked or PMd him or anything else. He and I must hunt in similar WT habitat. His description is SPOT ON for the majority of my deer hunting.

Seriously....most of the time I don't have time to use binos AND then get a shot.

Before I moved I was hunting large cutovers and I OFTEN used binos. Many times I could see over-thru-around 120 acres from 1 box stand.

The last 3 seasons I've been hunting on my Uncle's property, 70 acres of mixed pasture, thickets, hardwood, and small plots of pine. I can't remember once when I would have had time to use binos.

Where you hunt and the conditions determine what's good or best for you.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Walking around and sometimes bouncing them out changes things from sitting up on the poop deck.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I just went through my safes of guns and I did find a fixed power K-3 on my single shot 22. Other than that I don't own a fixed power scope. I am happy for all you 4x and 6X users, but I have plenty of power on some of my scopes and more power on all of the rest......

I can't remember when I OWNED/USED a fixed X scope. I DON'T own/use a fixed X even on a 22 rf. I have a 2-7 on my Mzldr. NOT ONE time have I ever felt I would have been better served with any fixed scope.

edited to add >>>Good Night, Catch up tomorrow!

Last edited by jwall; 12/16/14.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been using high powered variables for decades for the reasons mentioned. Different strokes I suppose.

I did get a kick out of the comment on time adjusting the mag. I leave my scopes on 6-8 power and can max them in about one second, usually while in the process of shouldering the rifle.

Different areas call for different tactics. Binos aren't needed here at home, I only carry them because I can see down lanes better during the last few mins of legal light. They will flat cost you a deer if you dick with them when a deer is present as you usually have about 3 seconds from first seeing a buck to never seeing him again. OTOH when I hunt in TX, CO, or WY, I use them all day long as it seems one may have minutes + to take the shot.

As far as judging deer in mere seconds, it's comes from lots of encounters over the years. It mostly boils down to the oh schit factor laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Different areas call for different tactics.

Exactly. I believe that's been said several times.

I did get a kick out of the comment on time adjusting the mag.

I guess that was a stretch. Had to come up with something. LOL.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Lol, I hear ya.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've been using high powered variables for decades for the reasons mentioned. Different strokes I suppose.

I did get a kick out of the comment on time adjusting the mag. I leave my scopes on 6-8 power and can max them in about one second, usually while in the process of shouldering the rifle.

Different areas call for different tactics. Binos aren't needed here at home, I only carry them because I can see down lanes better during the last few mins of legal light. They will flat cost you a deer if you dick with them when a deer is present as you usually have about 3 seconds from first seeing a buck to never seeing him again. OTOH when I hunt in TX, CO, or WY, I use them all day long as it seems one may have minutes + to take the shot.

As far as judging deer in mere seconds, it's comes from lots of encounters over the years. It mostly boils down to the oh schit factor laugh

Yep, easy to spot those that don't hunt in theses conditions.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Different areas call for different tactics.

Exactly. I believe that's been said several times.

I did get a kick out of the comment on time adjusting the mag.

I guess that was a stretch. Had to come up with something. LOL.

laugh That's funny grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hunted in North East Pa. for 25 yrs. and in no instance would the use of a big power variable helped or hurt my chances at a shot. I used all kinds of guns and scopes. On deer drives( before point restrictions or does only) a running shot was the best you could expect. Nowadays counting points and checking for houses, other hunters and parked atvs before you shoot makes quick shots a thing of the past....... at least in my humble opinion.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.