Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
79 the 150's are bit light but that's about right.Getting the velocity without having things screwed to the floorboards is what it's all about.

The 150 SS II is all copper I think and maybe a bit gummy.

One of our knowledgeable match shooters on here ran his Mashburn to about 3300 with the 150 BT from a Broughton barrel,but ran his ladder and found the accuracy node at about 3250. Recently he worked with the 168 Berger but I can't recall his velocity. He ended up exactly where I did with the 160-162 bullets at 75.5 H1000. I get 3200 with those bullets.

He described the cartridge as a "big easy going slob", not at all fussy and temperamental like some 7 mags can be.

We have not run anything lighter than 160 in any of ours back here.

The swift scirroco is a fused lead core bullet that is about as long as the 160 grain accubond.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79 yes I thought so....I have shot the old and new versions. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd second that--the 7Bee is going to be the smartest way to fly--just cleanup chamber, lengthen throat as needed, and still be able to use standard 7RM in pinch. Pressure-tested loads available, headstamped brass, and easy velocity.

to be honest I think that the 7mm weatherby might be faster than the mashburn if su35's velocities are correct for EVERY single 7mm weatherby out there.

Yup, pretty sure that it is--especially when pressures run in similar levels.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DD: Have you loaded for either one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you talking about me Bob?

One of our knowledgeable match shooters on here ran his Mashburn to about 3300 with the 150 BT from a Broughton barrel,but ran his ladder and found the accuracy node at about 3250. Recently he worked with the 168 Berger but I can't recall his velocity. He ended up exactly where I did with the 160-162 bullets at 75.5 H1000. I get 3200 with those bullets.

Originally Posted by dave7mm
Hi Bob
The Chanlynn barrel is 26 inches and has a 1-10 twist.

The load is a 168g Berger classic hunting bullet with a Norma case and a Tula mag primer.Powder is H1000.

Measured 10 feel from the end of the barrel with my old Oehler model 33 with a 10 foot spacing.4 shot groups except where noted..No errors on the chrono at all this session..

72g 3 shot
L.. 2970
H.. 3051
ES.. 81
A.. 3013
SD.. 40

73.5g
L.. 3035
H.. 3041
ES.. 16
A.. 3032
SD.. 6

74.5g
L.. 3083
H.. 3125
ES.. 42
A.. 3099
SD.. 18

75.5g
L.. 3118
H.. 3137
ES.. 19
A.. 3126
SD.. 8

76.5g
L.. 3162
H.. 3186
ES.. 24
A.. 3171
SD.. 11

77.5g 3 shots
L.. 3215
H.. 3231
ES.. 16
A.. 3221
SD.. 8

The 77.5g load has one case of the 3 fired,that has a very, very faint hint,of an ejector mark.Hard to actually tell The other two look fine.I knocked the primers out of all 3 and reprimed them.The one with the ej mark was just a little bit less effort to seat a primer with a RCBS hand priming tool.Than the other two.All 3 function through the action like butter with no tightness.
Im thinking a person could actually run the 77.5g load but just looking....im afraid they would open the primer pockets over time. Ashame as the 77.5g load shot the second best accuracy at 400 yards.

The 73.5g load at 400 and the 73g load at 100 were the best for accuracy.

The 73.5g load shot an honest 3 inch 4 shot group at 400 yards. Say 3032 fps with a SD of 6.

The hotter loads were all running MOA or a bit more at 400.
Conditions were kinda suckie.Wind was up pretty good.

Im going to study it awhile and take a step back and look things over a bit.
Love the accuracy of the 73.5g load.
Would like a bit more speed but if the thing will carry on shooting like that i might just say uncle.
I do have some Retumbo.
H1000 is much cleaner then Reloader 25.
dave

I ended doing alittle tweeking and running the 75.5g load of H1000 with the 168g Berger. Say 3120/3140 fps.
Single digit Standard Deviation.An 8, last I checked.
The tweeking was a seating depth change from about .005 off to about .030 off.
The last two 3 shot groups measued 2.5 and 1.015 at 400 yards.
I have never seen any Weathbery in any configuration shoot with this rifle for accuracy.
Period.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I can't speak to oversized factory chambers; but do know at least 2 people off the top of my head,who have punched Rem 700 rifles out to 7mm Mashburn.

One rifle has only been shot a little so far,but exhibits no brass issues and shoots accurately.

The other is owned by a guy who has had the rifle all over the place on BG hunting trips, including to Mexico last year for a record book Desert Sheep. So I guess it's working out pretty well.

He has not complained about any issues that I know of.

I'd be at least the third:)

mine is a 24 inch pipe model and it shoots 150 grain ballistic tips to 3220 with a bit of room to spare, 120 grain x to 3500, 140 grain x to 3330, and 150 swift scirroco to 3180.

personally I was expecting more snap than that but it is pretty consistant and is really more power than I really need.

79 you may find this interesting.

" The big cases like the Mashburn show more gain over the smaller cases like the S&H, Weatherby,and Remington with heavy bullets than with light bullets..." "Guns, Loads and Hunting Tips"; Bob Hagel.

This will show up if you load extensively for progressively larger cases in the same caliber and I have seen this with the 300 WM vs the 300 Weatherby; the 338 vs the 340; the 375 H&H vs the 375 AI;the 7x57 vs the 280,and on it goes. Gunscribes who have seen the same thing and written about it include not only Hagel, but Bob Chatfield -Taylor as well....which goes to show, it isn't recent "news".

And...." After developing loads to maximum trouble free hunting pressures for 7mm cartridges ranging in capacity from the little 7/08...to the big 7mm-300 Weatherby wildcat, it seems the Mashburn Super Magnum has about the optimum powder capacity for the .284-inch bore diameter with available powders......The Mashburn offers only about 100 fps over the 7mm Remington and 7mm Weatherby cases,but whatever advantage there is lies with the slightly larger case." Guns, Loads, and Hunting Tips; Bob Hagel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes Dave I was talking about you. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bob.
I was thinking that my version of H1000 could be the "slow" one.
I could care less with the way it shoots.
I did not go nutzoid BR to get this kind of accuracy either.
Just looking at it I had a "feel" that it needed alittle more jump and it responded in kind.
I will eventually do a write up on my Mashburn experience.
Just dont tell anyone I was shooting 1 inch groups at 400 yards with a 10x FFP zeiss...

dave

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
DD: Have you loaded for either one?

Nope, not at all, but I can read. I think that the other thread where that was discussed pretty well showed the data for the 7Bee can be trusted to at least equal, if not outperform, the Mashburn at equal pressures.

Another way of me saying: I'm a believer in the pressure/velocity advantages of significant freebore. I suppose one could freebore the Mashburn and go for broke.

As an aside, and a bit different topic, but I'd never want a wildcat for my main big game rifle when a factory option was readily available with the same performance, and one with the flexibility to use one of the most popular rounds in existence in a pinch (7RM in a 7Bee). I'm not "adventurous" that way, as I see it as but one more possible thing to go wrong somehow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking I might try shooting a 7mm RemMag and 7mm WBY through my Mashburn Super. I have done this with a 300WinMag and 300 H&H in a 300WBY and because they all headspace on the front of the belt, the shorter 7's should run in the Mashburn chamber just fine. The belted 30's all did great, and the 300Win in the WBY chamber even gave really good accuracy and very little loss in velocity. Not really a measureable amount.

This experiment, if I get around to it, will make for an interesting argument that the Mashburn round is the more versatile and more goof proof if ammo is lost or otherwise not on hand.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I did not think you had.

So you concluded that the pressures for the Mashburn are equal to the Weatherby,without having loaded for either one? Based on what you read,and without loading for either?

How do you know that the Mashburn pressures are not lower?

Fact is you don't...and neither do I;and neither does anyone posting here who has not measured them.

I do agree with you on the freebore. It's the reason (along with a pressure ceiling of 65,000 psi) that the Weatherby even comes close to the Mashburn. That's a characteristic of the rifle,and not a valid comparison of the cartridges.

Might be interesting to see what the Weatherby does with no freebore. I think Page/Hagel/Mashburn all knew since they among them had done the testing......which is why they all flew right past it when it was sitting there all along.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, with lighter bullets there still is an advantage for the Mashburn VS the Remington. With 120gr TTSX's I am getting 3700fps. Mule Deer bucks, near or far, really hate this load..... grin

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
safari man did you blow anything up with that load? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starting the Rifling part way down a barrel always drops your pressure Bob.
Every rifle i've shot the throat out of tells me the same thing.

dave

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents, it appears to me that a 7-300WM, the Mashburn, & the 7mm WB are all identical if loaded to the same pressuure and throated the same for a particular bullet to increase the case capacity without employing freebore.

What am I missing? The differences in the reported fps results aren't the cartridges as case capacities are practically identical.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My question's are:

1). Which brass is easier to form... the Mashburn or 7-300 WM?

2). How many chamber/reamer variations are there for the Mashburn vs the 7-300 WM?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
safari man did you blow anything up with that load? smile

Not at all. In my rifle, with its 26 inch bbl and Ulta Bore Coat plus Moly Coated bullets seated away from the lands a bit, that load is just fine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Starting the Rifling part way down a barrel always drops your pressure Bob.
Every rifle i've shot the throat out of tells me the same thing.

dave

Dave true. Assuming you could ever get the barrels the same(good luck with that!) then case capacity becomes the factor. The Mashburn is a larger case.

Tom I believe the Weatherby has less capacity than the Mashburn and 7mm/300 Win Mag.

Brad far as I know there is not much more variation with Mashburn reamers than what we might see from custom reamers for anything else..of course there will always be some depending on who made them.

The 7mm/300 win mag, I can't say because I never owned one.

I think there would not be enough difference between the 7mm/300WM and the Mashburn to spit on. About all you have with the 7mm/300 WM is a shorter neck. This makes sense since the Mashburn and the 300 WM are the only two belted magnums I know of with that case length.

In fact one thing I have noticed once data started flowing in from various folks and quite a few rifles recently built, is how close everyone was in terms of velocities and powder charges, too, for that matter. No more variation than I was used to seeing from other cartridges.

Brad I'm sure there are minor variations in reamers, but no more than we'll see in any custom reamers. For a wildcat, it's pretty well established, having been around for 5 decades or so. RCBS has carried dies and form /trim dies as a pretty much standard item.

When I ordered dies from Redding, they did not make them. My understanding is that the first Redding dies for the Mashburn Super were cut based on dimensions taken from cases fired in my rifle, which was chambered with Dober's reamer. So there may be some variation but no one seems to be complaining about any issues that I know of.

If anyone wants to know more it's easy to go read what Hagel said about it. I will get the issue of Rifle magazine in which he did his article on the cartridge and post it on here. To confirm further, they can grab a reamer,chamber a rifle, and find out for themselves what it's all about.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I did not think you had.

So you concluded that the pressures for the Mashburn are equal to the Weatherby,without having loaded for either one? Based on what you read,and without loading for either?

How do you know that the Mashburn pressures are not lower?

Fact is you don't...and neither do I;and neither does anyone posting here who has not measured them.

I do agree with you on the freebore. It's the reason (along with a pressure ceiling of 65,000 psi) that the Weatherby even comes close to the Mashburn. That's a characteristic of the rifle,and not a valid comparison of the cartridges.

Might be interesting to see what the Weatherby does with no freebore. I think Page/Hagel/Mashburn all knew since they among them had done the testing......which is why they all flew right past it when it was sitting there all along.

Agreed on all points, which is why I would trust the tested pressures of a 7Bee over any wildcat claims. Physics trump experience, in my experience! I have assumed that the reason they didn't go Bee when developing the Mashburn is because they did not like freebore due to its possible accuracy limitations (or that they simply wanted their own names on something).

Gotta love this Christmas gack though! I doubt I'll ever chamber for any of them anyway.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It looks to me that the factory WB case would have slightly less...but if the 7WB is throated for 160s (non VLDs) as the Mashburn, then we have the very same breed of cat.

Am plotting to have my 7mmWB throated to the 168g LRAB, if I can snag some. It has no freebore with 140/150s currently.

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.