Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Headed out the door right now and will be at the Bozeman Gun Show all weekend.

I looked for the reference last night, and will do my best to find it when I get back.

If I remember correctly the idea is to use the fingers to manipulate the bolt while leaving the shooting hand in a position close to the grip. Takes some practice with the cock on closing Swede Mauser.

Get back on this Sunday evening.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His point was, if you are going to hunt carry your own dam rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Brilliant chap, eh?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would suspect that in the areas where Bell did his hunting, the atmpsphere was drier than a Graham cracker fart so even corrosive priming had nearly 0% humidity to suck water from. Cleaning wouldn't be a daily necessity after even a lot of shooting under those conditions.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I would suspect that in the areas where Bell did his hunting, the atmpsphere was drier than a Graham cracker fart so even corrosive priming had nearly 0% humidity to suck water from. Cleaning wouldn't be a daily necessity after even a lot of shooting under those conditions.

actually he did a fair amount of hunting in places like Liberia, the Belgian Congo and other parts of rainforest Africa as alot of very big ivory was held there up through the 1970's....but those forests are also where he quit using the 7x57 and went to the 318 cause the bullets didnt bend like the 6.5 and 7's occasionally did and started advising hunters less experienced than him to carry a heavy double.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/13/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
'calimed'??????

I kin spel butt kant tipe gud, 'specially on my smartass phone.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Smartass phone?

I have a smarts computer.

Its why my posts usually end up the way they do.

Its not me.

Really.

My computer went self-aware in 2010....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dry firing is easily accomplished during the evening news...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Bell talks about 2 myths of the hunting world he went contrary to. First, that dryfiring would break the firign pin and disable the rifle. He didn't buy into that at all. Second was insessent cleaning of the bores. Bell calimed that more bores have been ruined by the cleaning rod than neglect.
And he was right on both accounts. However if you're talking about double rifles, a prudent man would use a snap cap. On a Mauser action, snap away; you ain't gonna kill it.

As for bore cleaning, the only concern back then was drawing in of moisture. Many primers were mercuric back in his time, and would foul a bore in 24 hours. Absent a mercuric primer, there's very little in the way of worries.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Did we ever reach a consensus on the meaning of 'Swedish Drill'?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RevMike
I've been practicing the Irish Drill for years: cycling the bolt while holding a pint of Guinness without spilling a drop. grin

Good one, RevMike!

I can relate.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Swedish Drills were the earliest well-known form of 'calisthenics', i.e. basic, easy-to-do exercises, which just used the inertia of your body weight to get fit. They were originally developed by Swedish Landowners to increase the strength and effectiveness of agricultural workers, but were widely practised by the British Army during the 1st World War.

However, the variation that I think Bell is referring to, is when you use the inertia of your rifle as a weight to help strengthen your arms & shoulders, and hence improve your ease & stamina in handling your weapon.

This was still being done in the British military in the 1980s when I was a soldier (with the FN Browning rifle), and was normally called 'pokey drill'. The toughest exercises always involved holding the weapon at arms length with one or both arms, and then manipulating it (twisting/rotating etc.).

The huge advantage of Swedish drill is that you can do it any time, anywhere, including in the field.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Did we ever reach a consensus on the meaning of 'Swedish Drill'?

So far as I can tell, Bell was the first man to use the term "Swedish drill" to describe what he was doing with his rifles.

As mentioned elsewhere, it was a popular term for calisthenics in the early part of the 20th Century.

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/swedish-drill-teacher/

I think it just amused him to adopt the phrase.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Did he have a girlfriend of Nordic descent?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.