Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking at midsouthshooterssupply web page and I see the new LT-30 propellant from Accurate is listed as an option.

How soon till we may expect to see a comprehensive offering of load data for this new propellant? What has been a typical timeframe for western powders to address the load data side of things in recent years?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Their usual timeframe is pretty damn quick.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Any hints on load data? Didn't see on any on their website.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
didn't JB mention it was equal to 4198 in burn rate?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Seafire
didn't JB mention it was equal to 4198 in burn rate?

I suspect equal may be a stretch.

Now similar may be tracking a little more accuratly. Curious to see if this works out to be more or less flexable.

For example in slightly more over bore, cartridge to bore size IMR8208 has turned out to be one of the more flex-able propellants in its class, with quite a few applications where it really works.

We will soon see how this LT-30 pan's out I suppose.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 12/16/14.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seafire, I've seen too many powders that were claimed to be nearly the same burn speed act quite differently in different cartridges. I'll wait to see load data thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I try not to ever use the words "equal in burn rate" unless powders are actually the same thing in different containers, like H414 and W760. "Similar in burn rate" would be preferable.

Ramshot gave an early batch of the powder to some benchrest shooters to test, and if I recall his results appear somewhere on the Internet. You might find something about it on the Ramshot site, or by trying a search.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's kind of interesting, to my easily amused mind anyhow, that when powder manufacturers can't keep up with the demand for existing powders they are bring new ones to the market.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ramshot gave an early batch of the powder to some benchrest shooters to test, and if I recall his results appear somewhere on the Internet. You might find something about it on the Ramshot site, or by trying a search.

I did see that. He said it worked in cartridges that work well with H4198, and similar accuracy to H4198, but about 200FPS more in a 30BR. No data on Ramshot's site yet. It will be there soon enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
It's kind of interesting, to my easily amused mind anyhow, that when powder manufacturers can't keep up with the demand for existing powders they are bring new ones to the market.

I think it's just another example of how the panic mode we're still in is skewing the market. I don't think folks are using more powder, just stockpiling it. Once they they think they have enough, they'll stop buying. Manufacturers have to keep moving forward or be left behind. It's tough on those who can't find what they want, but companies can't afford to expand based on temporary demand.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It does seem strange: all the new powders being introduced by Hodgdon, Alliant, and Accurate and I haven't been able to get my hands on several production powders I'd like to have now. Good comments, Pappy. It is good to be reminded.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Royce

I think it's just another example of how the panic mode we're still in is skewing the market. I don't think folks are using more powder, just stockpiling it. Once they they think they have enough, they'll stop buying. Manufacturers have to keep moving forward or be left behind. It's tough on those who can't find what they want, but companies can't afford to expand based on temporary demand.

My guess is that the LT powders are coming from a different manufacturer and that Accurate(Western) is just distributing them. Being that powders like AA#2 and 1680 and others are unavailable, this gives them other products to sell. Again this is speculation on my part. The more products to me, the merrier.
Never thought I'd switch from what I now use but availability would probably change my mind.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I try not to ever use the words "equal in burn rate" unless powders are actually the same thing in different containers, like H414 and W760. "Similar in burn rate" would be preferable.

JB;

john, I apologize for misquoting you if that is what I did..

when I run some down, I figured I'd just start off with lower 4198 load data and work up...I do like the flexibility of powder in that burn rate... so maybe I am guilt of jumping the assumption starting gun...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.