24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure if a Minox MD 62 ED qualifies as compact but it weighs about 2.5lbs with the very good 21-42 LER eyepiece.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd pick up that extendable Swarovski in the classifieds.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Vortex Razer HD 11-33x50 that I bought this spring. Used it all spring, summer, and fall and I love it. Works perfect for me and is compact and lightweight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 and Vortex Razor HD50 are both fantastic little spotters. I've looked thru several ED50s, with every eyepiece available, and own the Razor.

The Nikon offers more eyepiece options. The fixed 27 is very, very easy to use and actually my favourite setup for that scope. Questionable warranty/service with Nikon...

The Vortex, in my opinion, has a slightly better view. Slightly. The fine-focus is a lot nicer feature than I figured it would be. Hopefully it'll never be needed, but Vortex has a good warranty...

If the 50s fit what you need to do, it's hard to go wrong with either scope. IME.

Last edited by Wrongside; 12/19/14.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got a Leopold 15-30 compact Leopold for this years elk hunt to judge legal bulls at about 400-2000 yards, it didn't make it out of the truck instead I used 10x42 SLC's ......no bulls to look at on our public area but I did see the bulls well at over 1000 yards with the Binoculars .... saw them better from the truck with the spotter on 30.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I use a bigger Leica in camp or on boat for carrying I like this model
Minox.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62225_62226

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Tanner
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

I have always been a believer that the best optics are the way to go regardless of circumstances or cost, would most of the time agree that Tanner's post is gut wrenching and noble. one thing left out is reality.

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter...

85mm Razor.

[Linked Image]

Another perspective shot of a hunting pard...
[Linked Image]

I read the OP.

I don't know as much as some about mountains or canyons, but my 'normal jaunt' as mentioned in the OP this year was 5-18 miles, and anywhere from 2,000 to 7,000'.... and not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more...

YMMV....

Tanner

YEP.

Last year Wrongside and I went sheep hunting, which is actually what prompted me to get that 85mm Razor. We were glassing a couple of rams from a mile or 2 away. As awesome as that little 50mm Razor is, we just couldn't quite tell whether the rams were legal or not, and we certainly couldn't tell what kind of quality we were looking at. So we spent a day and a night using a bivy camp to get over there and have a closer look. It turned out that the ram we could see when we got there wasn't what we were looking for. We both mentioned that if we had more magnification we likely could have made that distinction from the get-go, and saved ourselves a couple miles of climbing in the nastiest terrain and 1.5 days burned up to find out that the rams were not worth pursuing in the first place. This year the 85mm Razor was one of the last things I would consider cutting from my gear list...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics Jordan. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt with timber and exposed areas.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JS, you are a fuggin azz hole as per always. the OP was talking deer hunting... you are talking sheep hunting. apples and oranges

I have been on about 30 sheep hunts (2 my own) the rest a spotter, guide or guide's assistant. I have packed my 10x42's my 15x56's and my 80 spotter with tripod on every one and felt it necessary.

My point in my last post is that for deer hunting where I was at in Wyoming that some concessions could be made because there is a good chance I will draw the tag again.

With sheep hunting for the most part it is once in a lifetime and you have to make your only time count

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it all depends on what your standards are for your pack weight, what sort of hike you're going to go on, what your expectations are, and what sort of critter you're hunting.... Along with a million other variables...

Factoring in that much stuff to think about, I'd rather just cut to the chase and be able to see what I want to see, and cut weight in other areas like my pack, shelter, food, etc...

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

I have always been a believer that the best optics are the way to go regardless of circumstances or cost, would most of the time agree that Tanner's post is gut wrenching and noble. one thing left out is reality.

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter.

I will never get rid of my ALPHA 80 spotter, but I will never pack it to 12,000' again. Dont know what the best mini spotter is but I will find one before I go back.

Gut wrenching and noble... nice laugh

Having been on that many sheep hunts, do you think there are other areas of your backpacking kit that you could cut that extra 2-3lbs out of? I know I probably pack too much crap half of the time that I could leave at home rather than pack a smaller Spotter.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JS, you are a fuggin azz hole as per always. the OP was talking deer hunting... you are talking sheep hunting. apples and oranges

I have been on about 30 sheep hunts (2 my own) the rest a spotter, guide or guide's assistant. I have packed my 10x42's my 15x56's and my 80 spotter with tripod on every one and felt it necessary.

My point in my last post is that for deer hunting where I was at in Wyoming that some concessions could be made because there is a good chance I will draw the tag again.

With sheep hunting for the most part it is once in a lifetime and you have to make your only time count

buttanchor,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry my adding a different perspective upset you so much. Please send me the invoice for the Vagisil.

I was talking ANY back country hunting with wide open spaces, whether goat, sheep, alpine MD, elk, or anything else. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend time and money to go on a hunt if I'm making concessions in my gear because I expect to be unsuccessful with the consolation prize being another opportunity to go and waste more time and money when I get drawn for the same tag next year...

If I'm going on a serious hunt with significant preparation, time, and effort involved, I try and make it count EVERY time. If I'm unsuccessful, it's not for a lack of preparation or because I left my ideal gear at home. When hunting in open terrain, I'd much rather be able to see as well as possible than carry an extra 1-2 lbs in crap that probably won't get used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. And here I was thinking the OP asked whether there are any 50mm spotters worth using... Not whether you could see more with a 80 vs. 50... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
While some are nicer than others, I gave my answer to that question in my post... wink

The 50's have their place, but when I'm hunting terrain where what I see can mean the difference between spending a half day and a couple of miles of hiking, and looking elsewhere, I'll leave some other unnecessary piece of gear at home in order to see as much as possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or, in your case, a 5 pound bag of liquorice candies! laugh wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Cool pics Jordan. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt with timber and exposed areas.

Thank you, sir. It is very beautiful, indeed. We are very blessed to be able to hunt in such country.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Or, in your case, a 5 pound bag of liquorice candies! laugh wink

LOL, exactly! This year the comfort food stayed home and the heavy spotter came along. Ask me if I regret that decision wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And it couldn't have been more than 3 pounds...for the record grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. True. My bad. Shoulda been more specific... The remaining two pounds was Jelly Bellies. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
anchor,

Given that the OP is in S Idaho he might be glassing for mule deer over miles, literally. I've hunted the other side of the Snake River and you could spend days glassing the breaks. In fact, there are some groups that set-up in Idaho and glass across the Snake into Oregon. So although different than sheep hunting the opportunity for long distance glassing is still there.

I think Jordan's post is another good example of determining the distance and size of object before settling on a certain objective size. A 50mm isn't the best choice for antlers at 2 miles, at least not the ED50.

J

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.