Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Deer hunting last fall has reminded me how I need some extra umph to see antlers at long distance. But, my typical jaunt consists of a 1000'+ vertical climb and usually 3-4 mile hike. Size and weight are very important - to big and it stays in the truck. So I'm wondering if there is anything that is small, light and still useful? Any recommendations? I did own for a while a 50mm Minox spotter, but found that I could see better detail with my 8X binos and sold the spotter. Ones that have my attention are the Nikon and Vortex 50mm scopes. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 is a great little scope. Every time I use
mine, I say, wow, this thing is good.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As Farmb0y1 mentions, the Nikon ED50 is a very nice little scope - surprisingly clean image. The eye relief is critical and the scope is tiring to use for any length of time compared, say, to a larger Swarovski 65mm scope. For use in conjunction with good binoculars to check out suspicious objects, the Nikon is really great.

Unfortunately it is Chinese built.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Very happy with my Nikon ED50, and although I haven't looked through the Vortex, I'll bet it gives the Nikon a run for it's money. I've got the big 80mm (?) Vortex and i's really nice.

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/17/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the little Razor HD and use it for the same application the OP described.

It's quite awesome.

DC

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm happy with my leupold gold ring 15-30x50. Good image edge to edge.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

Tanner:

Go back to the OP, climbing more than one canyon to get
a look. Lightweight is important.

I agree a 60 or 82mm spotter is better in some ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read the OP.

I don't know as much as some about mountains or canyons, but my 'normal jaunt' as mentioned in the OP this year was 5-18 miles, and anywhere from 2,000 to 7,000'.... and not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more...

YMMV....

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Basically, what Tanner said.

For most backpack applications, I would take a Nikon ED50 with a wide angle fixed eyepiece. Mine shows me 95+% of what my Ziess 65mm Diascope does.

But if you are really needing to count annuli rings on a sheep or judge the difference between a 165 and 180 inch mule deer a mile across a canyon, then you are going to have to carry the bigger scope in my experience. It's resolution and light transmission is just superior enough to make the difference.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 12/17/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more

This x10

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only way to tackle this problem that I know of is to think about...

1. How far do you want to view?
2. Think about how much magnification you need/want per 100y (i.e. 1x, 2x, etc.).
3. Consider 2mm exit pupil as the bare minimum.

Let's say you want to view out to 2000y, and want a minimum of 2x per hundred yards. Based on this, you need 40x. To keep the 2mm exit standard, you need an 80mm scope.

In the above example, you ain't getting the image you want/need with a 50mm scope. Just ain't gonna happen.

Use your bino knowledge/experience to get started. Would your 8x binos let you evaluate antlers at 800y? Or are they better suited to 400y? How about picking antler tips out of tall grass at 800y? Optical quality is also a factor but you need to start thinking about this stuff sooner or later.

Everything else is a just guess until you break-down exactly what you expect of your spotter. For some people a mile is really far, for others its just getting started.

How far and how small of a viewing object?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/17/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Basically, what Tanner said.

For most backpack applications, I would take a Nikon ED50 with a wide angle fixed eyepiece. Mine shows me 95+% of what my Ziess 65mm Diascope does.

But if you are really needing to count annuli rings on a sheep or judge the difference between a 165 and 180 inch mule deer a mile across a canyon, then you are going to have to carry the bigger scope in my experience. It's resolution and light transmission is just superior enough to make the difference.

I went back and read the OP. To directly answer the original question, my response is, " yes, there are compact spotters worth carrying." That said, if you're looking for a BEST recommendation, I would unequivocally say go 20-60x 60 or 65mm. Yes, I know you will not always NEED or be able to use the 60x but Tanner is 100% correct that you're better to have it than not. It's all about saving boot leather, time, and your body!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the input so far, Here's what I have learned in the past. My 60mm spotters/tripods (nothing very nice but tried a couple times) have stayed at the truck the second day. The 50mm spotter I had (Minox MD50) I should have left in the truck. (could see more detail with my binos - Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32's). This year on several occasions I just could not make out horns on mule deer in the 1000-1500yd range and wished I had something to take a closer look after they were located with binos. I'm no trophy hunter but like to take a mature buck each year. I don't need to see every little sticker at a mile, but knowing that it's a decent buck would be nice. I am very interested in the Nikon HD 50 and the Vortex Viper 50mm. They sound like just the ticket. Thanks and now I need to save up some cash!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At the distances you're stating, with a good pair of binoculars, if you cannot "make out horns on mule deer" then please let the thing walk. It's a midget at that point.

In your situation, get a top-quality pair of 10x42 binos and you'll be all set. If you really want to "cheat" then carry a lightweight tripod for them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OK, my 2 cents. I've got a couple of really good 8X binoculars, one is a Leica and the other is a Nikon LX which is just as sharp. My Nikon 50mmED can show me much more than either of my 8X binoculars can, especially at the longer distances like 1-2 miles. Set at 25X, it can show me a little more than my Leica 12X50 can at those distances.
No way I'd have a fixed magnification eye piece on a spotting scope. Sometimes you must reduce the magnification to see something more clearly. Other times, you can use more magnification. Usually this is early, or late in the day, with the sun behind you or close to that.
All that said, I suspect a 60mm Leupold Gold ring would work better for me as a packable spotting scope. Maybe one day, I'll buy one. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

All that said, I suspect a 60mm Leupold Gold ring would work better for me as a packable spotting scope. Maybe one day, I'll buy one. E

TODAY'S YOUR LUCKY DAY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the ED50 and think it would be a good choice for evaluating bucks at 1500 yards. Its not perfect but it offers a lot for the size/weight/cost.

I've been debating whether to get a bigger spotter. If so I might have the ED50 for sale in the near future.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Tanner

I have always been a believer that the best optics are the way to go regardless of circumstances or cost, would most of the time agree that Tanner's post is gut wrenching and noble. one thing left out is reality.

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter.

I will never get rid of my ALPHA 80 spotter, but I will never pack it to 12,000' again. Dont know what the best mini spotter is but I will find one before I go back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the 80mm cost you a deer?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.