Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Deer hunting last fall has reminded me how I need some extra umph to see antlers at long distance. But, my typical jaunt consists of a 1000'+ vertical climb and usually 3-4 mile hike. Size and weight are very important - to big and it stays in the truck. So I'm wondering if there is anything that is small, light and still useful? Any recommendations? I did own for a while a 50mm Minox spotter, but found that I could see better detail with my 8X binos and sold the spotter. Ones that have my attention are the Nikon and Vortex 50mm scopes. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 is a great little scope. Every time I use
mine, I say, wow, this thing is good.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As Farmb0y1 mentions, the Nikon ED50 is a very nice little scope - surprisingly clean image. The eye relief is critical and the scope is tiring to use for any length of time compared, say, to a larger Swarovski 65mm scope. For use in conjunction with good binoculars to check out suspicious objects, the Nikon is really great.

Unfortunately it is Chinese built.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Very happy with my Nikon ED50, and although I haven't looked through the Vortex, I'll bet it gives the Nikon a run for it's money. I've got the big 80mm (?) Vortex and i's really nice.

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/17/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the little Razor HD and use it for the same application the OP described.

It's quite awesome.

DC

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm happy with my leupold gold ring 15-30x50. Good image edge to edge.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
I carried some Nikon ED-50s for a lot of miles, and really enjoyed them, but what I have learned about spotter weight/size can be summed up with a quote from somebody that I can't remember...

"A lightweight spotter is really important for when you have to hike across the canyon to see up close what your spotter couldn't show you..." grin

I am a huge believer in lightweight, compact gear, but a bigger spotter is one area I am willing to give up weight... They really can save you a ton of time and energy.

Tanner

Tanner:

Go back to the OP, climbing more than one canyon to get
a look. Lightweight is important.

I agree a 60 or 82mm spotter is better in some ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read the OP.

I don't know as much as some about mountains or canyons, but my 'normal jaunt' as mentioned in the OP this year was 5-18 miles, and anywhere from 2,000 to 7,000'.... and not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more...

YMMV....

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Basically, what Tanner said.

For most backpack applications, I would take a Nikon ED50 with a wide angle fixed eyepiece. Mine shows me 95+% of what my Ziess 65mm Diascope does.

But if you are really needing to count annuli rings on a sheep or judge the difference between a 165 and 180 inch mule deer a mile across a canyon, then you are going to have to carry the bigger scope in my experience. It's resolution and light transmission is just superior enough to make the difference.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 12/17/14.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more

This x10

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only way to tackle this problem that I know of is to think about...

1. How far do you want to view?
2. Think about how much magnification you need/want per 100y (i.e. 1x, 2x, etc.).
3. Consider 2mm exit pupil as the bare minimum.

Let's say you want to view out to 2000y, and want a minimum of 2x per hundred yards. Based on this, you need 40x. To keep the 2mm exit standard, you need an 80mm scope.

In the above example, you ain't getting the image you want/need with a 50mm scope. Just ain't gonna happen.

Use your bino knowledge/experience to get started. Would your 8x binos let you evaluate antlers at 800y? Or are they better suited to 400y? How about picking antler tips out of tall grass at 800y? Optical quality is also a factor but you need to start thinking about this stuff sooner or later.

Everything else is a just guess until you break-down exactly what you expect of your spotter. For some people a mile is really far, for others its just getting started.

How far and how small of a viewing object?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/17/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Basically, what Tanner said.

For most backpack applications, I would take a Nikon ED50 with a wide angle fixed eyepiece. Mine shows me 95+% of what my Ziess 65mm Diascope does.

But if you are really needing to count annuli rings on a sheep or judge the difference between a 165 and 180 inch mule deer a mile across a canyon, then you are going to have to carry the bigger scope in my experience. It's resolution and light transmission is just superior enough to make the difference.

I went back and read the OP. To directly answer the original question, my response is, " yes, there are compact spotters worth carrying." That said, if you're looking for a BEST recommendation, I would unequivocally say go 20-60x 60 or 65mm. Yes, I know you will not always NEED or be able to use the 60x but Tanner is 100% correct that you're better to have it than not. It's all about saving boot leather, time, and your body!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the input so far, Here's what I have learned in the past. My 60mm spotters/tripods (nothing very nice but tried a couple times) have stayed at the truck the second day. The 50mm spotter I had (Minox MD50) I should have left in the truck. (could see more detail with my binos - Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32's). This year on several occasions I just could not make out horns on mule deer in the 1000-1500yd range and wished I had something to take a closer look after they were located with binos. I'm no trophy hunter but like to take a mature buck each year. I don't need to see every little sticker at a mile, but knowing that it's a decent buck would be nice. I am very interested in the Nikon HD 50 and the Vortex Viper 50mm. They sound like just the ticket. Thanks and now I need to save up some cash!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At the distances you're stating, with a good pair of binoculars, if you cannot "make out horns on mule deer" then please let the thing walk. It's a midget at that point.

In your situation, get a top-quality pair of 10x42 binos and you'll be all set. If you really want to "cheat" then carry a lightweight tripod for them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OK, my 2 cents. I've got a couple of really good 8X binoculars, one is a Leica and the other is a Nikon LX which is just as sharp. My Nikon 50mmED can show me much more than either of my 8X binoculars can, especially at the longer distances like 1-2 miles. Set at 25X, it can show me a little more than my Leica 12X50 can at those distances.
No way I'd have a fixed magnification eye piece on a spotting scope. Sometimes you must reduce the magnification to see something more clearly. Other times, you can use more magnification. Usually this is early, or late in the day, with the sun behind you or close to that.
All that said, I suspect a 60mm Leupold Gold ring would work better for me as a packable spotting scope. Maybe one day, I'll buy one. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

All that said, I suspect a 60mm Leupold Gold ring would work better for me as a packable spotting scope. Maybe one day, I'll buy one. E

TODAY'S YOUR LUCKY DAY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the ED50 and think it would be a good choice for evaluating bucks at 1500 yards. Its not perfect but it offers a lot for the size/weight/cost.

I've been debating whether to get a bigger spotter. If so I might have the ED50 for sale in the near future.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Tanner

I have always been a believer that the best optics are the way to go regardless of circumstances or cost, would most of the time agree that Tanner's post is gut wrenching and noble. one thing left out is reality.

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter.

I will never get rid of my ALPHA 80 spotter, but I will never pack it to 12,000' again. Dont know what the best mini spotter is but I will find one before I go back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the 80mm cost you a deer?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure if a Minox MD 62 ED qualifies as compact but it weighs about 2.5lbs with the very good 21-42 LER eyepiece.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd pick up that extendable Swarovski in the classifieds.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a Vortex Razer HD 11-33x50 that I bought this spring. Used it all spring, summer, and fall and I love it. Works perfect for me and is compact and lightweight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 and Vortex Razor HD50 are both fantastic little spotters. I've looked thru several ED50s, with every eyepiece available, and own the Razor.

The Nikon offers more eyepiece options. The fixed 27 is very, very easy to use and actually my favourite setup for that scope. Questionable warranty/service with Nikon...

The Vortex, in my opinion, has a slightly better view. Slightly. The fine-focus is a lot nicer feature than I figured it would be. Hopefully it'll never be needed, but Vortex has a good warranty...

If the 50s fit what you need to do, it's hard to go wrong with either scope. IME.

Last edited by Wrongside; 12/19/14.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got a Leopold 15-30 compact Leopold for this years elk hunt to judge legal bulls at about 400-2000 yards, it didn't make it out of the truck instead I used 10x42 SLC's ......no bulls to look at on our public area but I did see the bulls well at over 1000 yards with the Binoculars .... saw them better from the truck with the spotter on 30.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I use a bigger Leica in camp or on boat for carrying I like this model
Minox.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62225_62226

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Tanner

I have always been a believer that the best optics are the way to go regardless of circumstances or cost, would most of the time agree that Tanner's post is gut wrenching and noble. one thing left out is reality.

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter...

85mm Razor.

[Linked Image]

Another perspective shot of a hunting pard...
[Linked Image]

I read the OP.

I don't know as much as some about mountains or canyons, but my 'normal jaunt' as mentioned in the OP this year was 5-18 miles, and anywhere from 2,000 to 7,000'.... and not once did I ever wish for less spotter. There were times, however, that I wished for more...

YMMV....

Tanner

YEP.

Last year Wrongside and I went sheep hunting, which is actually what prompted me to get that 85mm Razor. We were glassing a couple of rams from a mile or 2 away. As awesome as that little 50mm Razor is, we just couldn't quite tell whether the rams were legal or not, and we certainly couldn't tell what kind of quality we were looking at. So we spent a day and a night using a bivy camp to get over there and have a closer look. It turned out that the ram we could see when we got there wasn't what we were looking for. We both mentioned that if we had more magnification we likely could have made that distinction from the get-go, and saved ourselves a couple miles of climbing in the nastiest terrain and 1.5 days burned up to find out that the rams were not worth pursuing in the first place. This year the 85mm Razor was one of the last things I would consider cutting from my gear list...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool pics Jordan. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt with timber and exposed areas.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JS, you are a fuggin azz hole as per always. the OP was talking deer hunting... you are talking sheep hunting. apples and oranges

I have been on about 30 sheep hunts (2 my own) the rest a spotter, guide or guide's assistant. I have packed my 10x42's my 15x56's and my 80 spotter with tripod on every one and felt it necessary.

My point in my last post is that for deer hunting where I was at in Wyoming that some concessions could be made because there is a good chance I will draw the tag again.

With sheep hunting for the most part it is once in a lifetime and you have to make your only time count

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it all depends on what your standards are for your pack weight, what sort of hike you're going to go on, what your expectations are, and what sort of critter you're hunting.... Along with a million other variables...

Factoring in that much stuff to think about, I'd rather just cut to the chase and be able to see what I want to see, and cut weight in other areas like my pack, shelter, food, etc...

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tanner

I went on a backpack deer hunt in Wyoming this fall that was brutal. had a great hunt with no regrets but after the hunt was over we had a discussion of what we would do different when we draw the tag again.......NEVER....EVER...take a 80mm spotter.

I will never get rid of my ALPHA 80 spotter, but I will never pack it to 12,000' again. Dont know what the best mini spotter is but I will find one before I go back.

Gut wrenching and noble... nice laugh

Having been on that many sheep hunts, do you think there are other areas of your backpacking kit that you could cut that extra 2-3lbs out of? I know I probably pack too much crap half of the time that I could leave at home rather than pack a smaller Spotter.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JS, you are a fuggin azz hole as per always. the OP was talking deer hunting... you are talking sheep hunting. apples and oranges

I have been on about 30 sheep hunts (2 my own) the rest a spotter, guide or guide's assistant. I have packed my 10x42's my 15x56's and my 80 spotter with tripod on every one and felt it necessary.

My point in my last post is that for deer hunting where I was at in Wyoming that some concessions could be made because there is a good chance I will draw the tag again.

With sheep hunting for the most part it is once in a lifetime and you have to make your only time count

buttanchor,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry my adding a different perspective upset you so much. Please send me the invoice for the Vagisil.

I was talking ANY back country hunting with wide open spaces, whether goat, sheep, alpine MD, elk, or anything else. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend time and money to go on a hunt if I'm making concessions in my gear because I expect to be unsuccessful with the consolation prize being another opportunity to go and waste more time and money when I get drawn for the same tag next year...

If I'm going on a serious hunt with significant preparation, time, and effort involved, I try and make it count EVERY time. If I'm unsuccessful, it's not for a lack of preparation or because I left my ideal gear at home. When hunting in open terrain, I'd much rather be able to see as well as possible than carry an extra 1-2 lbs in crap that probably won't get used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. And here I was thinking the OP asked whether there are any 50mm spotters worth using... Not whether you could see more with a 80 vs. 50... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While some are nicer than others, I gave my answer to that question in my post... wink

The 50's have their place, but when I'm hunting terrain where what I see can mean the difference between spending a half day and a couple of miles of hiking, and looking elsewhere, I'll leave some other unnecessary piece of gear at home in order to see as much as possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or, in your case, a 5 pound bag of liquorice candies! laugh wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Cool pics Jordan. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt with timber and exposed areas.

Thank you, sir. It is very beautiful, indeed. We are very blessed to be able to hunt in such country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Or, in your case, a 5 pound bag of liquorice candies! laugh wink

LOL, exactly! This year the comfort food stayed home and the heavy spotter came along. Ask me if I regret that decision wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And it couldn't have been more than 3 pounds...for the record grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. True. My bad. Shoulda been more specific... The remaining two pounds was Jelly Bellies. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
anchor,

Given that the OP is in S Idaho he might be glassing for mule deer over miles, literally. I've hunted the other side of the Snake River and you could spend days glassing the breaks. In fact, there are some groups that set-up in Idaho and glass across the Snake into Oregon. So although different than sheep hunting the opportunity for long distance glassing is still there.

I think Jordan's post is another good example of determining the distance and size of object before settling on a certain objective size. A 50mm isn't the best choice for antlers at 2 miles, at least not the ED50.

J

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
LOL. True. My bad. Shoulda been more specific... The remaining two pounds was Jelly Bellies. laugh

Not a chance. No more than a pound and a half in JB's *grin* It's the little things in life...

grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Might not be enough magnification for you, but I use a pair Swarovski SLC 10x binos and carry a doubler with a small tripod. Small package and pretty light to carry.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Not sure if a Minox MD 62 ED qualifies as compact but it weighs about 2.5lbs with the very good 21-42 LER eyepiece.

This x10

Last edited by DuckScarer; 12/19/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by centershot
This year on several occasions I just could not make out horns on mule deer in the 1000-1500yd range and wished I had something to take a closer look after they were located with binos. I'm no trophy hunter but like to take a mature buck each year. I don't need to see every little sticker at a mile, but knowing that it's a decent buck would be nice.

Remember, these are the conditions that the OP is asking about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the ED50 is great for 1500 yards but in big country its just not enough scope.

I've used the ED50 in the area shown in the pic below on a few hunts for mule deer. This is near the Snake River and I see fellas from Idaho hunting here too.

Its over 2 miles to the opposing timbered draw. With 30x you can see critters but its tough to evaluate them. And the opposing draw is "close" compared to much of it!

Luckily I shot my buck at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
anchor,

Given that the OP is in S Idaho he might be glassing for mule deer over miles, literally. I've hunted the other side of the Snake River and you could spend days glassing the breaks. In fact, there are some groups that set-up in Idaho and glass across the Snake into Oregon. So although different than sheep hunting the opportunity for long distance glassing is still there.

I think Jordan's post is another good example of determining the distance and size of object before settling on a certain objective size. A 50mm isn't the best choice for antlers at 2 miles, at least not the ED50.

J

While this can be true, most of that kind of spotting is done from the truck or close to it. There is no shortage of hunters doing just that. I'm talking about a 3-4mile hike with a 1000 to 2000' of vertical mixed in. The type of hikes that most guys consider stupid then start hunting - spot and stalk style. This is what it takes to shoot a decent buck on 'open' hunts with any regularity. Every ounce counts when you put 3 or 4 days of that together. I have tried bigger spotters and from the truck they are awesome, but after the first day they get left in the truck. What I want is something compact yet good enough to be a useful piece of equipment. I don't expect any 50mm spotter to be brighter/better than an 80mm but the 80mm is useless because I will not carry it. I think the Nikon and Vortex 50mm spotters may be just right. Thanks for the opinions thus far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my Leupold 15-30x50 never leaves my pack (unless I'm using it)

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Your decision may be influenced by your physical capability. In the mountains I may be limited to one good stalk/day. I carry a 60 mm spotter w/ a light tripod because it increases the chance that I will expend my limited resources on good cause. You increase your chances of success w/ a good spotter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nikon ED50 with the best Nikon 13-40 FS eyepiece weighs
only 23oz. I just checked it on my scale. That is less than most all 42mm. binoculars.

So for toting with a light tripod, this is a great high-end choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Centershot,

It sounds like you've got your needs figured out well. I've done plenty of those 3-4 mile hikes with 2000' elevation change and more. Not sure that would stop me from carrying an 80mm in a good pack, but if those extra ounces break the camel's back then a 50mm sounds like a good option.

J

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mule deer, sheep, elk, chukar, blue grouse and lots of miles... Great pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Centershot,

It sounds like you've got your needs figured out well. I've done plenty of those 3-4 mile hikes with 2000' elevation change and more. Not sure that would stop me from carrying an 80mm in a good pack, but if those extra ounces break the camel's back then a 50mm sounds like a good option.

J

Agreed. If your heart is set on a 50, that little 50mm Razor is amazing for such a small scope.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: The older and no longer in production Leupold 20, 25 & 30 power fixed spotting scopes are what I prefer for my back pack/long trek Hunts.
Very clear and very light of weight for the money (have to buy them used nowadays but there are lots of them around).
I have a mini-tripod that weighs just a couple ounces but mostly use it from the prone position over my pack.
I have used these spotters when Hunting spring Bear, Antelope, Mt. Goat, Elk and Mule Deer.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think the ED50 is great for 1500 yards but in big country its just not enough scope.

I've used the ED50 in the area shown in the pic below on a few hunts for mule deer. This is near the Snake River and I see fellas from Idaho hunting here too.

Its over 2 miles to the opposing timbered draw. With 30x you can see critters but its tough to evaluate them. And the opposing draw is "close" compared to much of it!

Luckily I shot my buck at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ever look over there and hope you don't see a big buck? HaHa, That may have just convinced me that I don't need a Hubble telescope.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I see Bushnell has a similar offering the Legend Ultra HD 12-36x50, anyone seen one of these in person? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.