Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hard to finish off a season better than that.

Very nice!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, both buck look pretty similar and came off the same mountain.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Places I grew up hunting in Pa. are now either full of people(townhouses, etc) or gas rigs..........

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are so few that really "Get IT" deer hunting in PA means so much more than killing a deer, the bitcheng and whining crowd needs to just grow a set, we don't need a Saturday opener and we don't need Sunday hunting and we don't need the whiners, go see your grandparents, take your kids shooting or just enjoy your family that's what hunting in PA is about.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread, and I thank "battue" for pointing it out to me via a PM. Hope everyone had a great season.

I made the pilgrimage this year. While bittersweet, it was a very special hunt. We mainly headed down to help my sister clear up our mom's estate. Monday morning, I was in my late mom's tree stand, with her last hunting license in my pocket for good luck. I hunt with the last rifle my dad bought before he passed, stashed with family; a M700 Classic .280 Rem. Weather was absolutely miserable. Wind, rain, sleet, snow.....all day. Saw a huge buck that I couldn't shoot in the morning(skylined for starters, and on our neighbors land) he disappeared, and was never seen again. The smaller buck that was not far behind, bedded down in sight. Just before dark, he got up, crossed on to our place, and walked right by me at about 50 yards. When I dressed out the young 3x3(with nubs for brow tines), I was glad that I'm a "shoot till their down" kinda guy. Shot number one it turns out, was deflected by brush, and never touched him. Shot number two, taken at full tilt run, hit him in the middle(liver/rear lungs). He stopped with just his head/top half of the neck above the brush, so I put one more just below the base of the skull, and that was that. Pretty emotional laying hands on him, and decided the only photos were going to be memories.

Brought him back to AK as an extra bag, and so far, the backstrap and neck roasts have been awesome eating. Going to can some, and grind the rest.

The icing on the cake, was a phone call from my cousin(and best bud) today. He had triple bypass about a month ago. His Doc gave hime the OK to hunt, and he did. This evening, on the last day, he dropped a 3x4 buck!

An unmistakeable, and sad trend I'm seeing, is a very significant decrease in the number of people out deer hunting in PA. Before I left home for Basic Training, it was religion. School is still closed for opening day, but it's nothing like it used to be. Just not a lot of young folks out there. Before I turned the legal 12 years old, I used to follow my dad around with a BB gun, and couldn't wait to wear a hunting license and carry a real rifle/shotgun.

Again, I hope everyone had a great season, and have many more in the future!

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,
Fantastic way to honor your mom - that's pretty cool.
She was right there with you bud.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All hail the great Pennsylvania deer drive!

Nice thread fellas. Glad some made it back for the opener. Always enjoy battue's pics. I had a good time this year hunting with old buddies, doing drives we did as teenagers. T'was fun. I moved back 3-4 yrs ago and this year was the first year I made it through archery w/o punching my tag. Forgot how much fun rifle season is. I still cant sleep the sunday night before.

Anyone heading out flintlock hunting?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll be out for flintlock, the deer seemed to have my number this year.

I saw 18 does on opening day but my area was bucks only. Tuesday, (the icy forecast one) I hunted a couple of hours and saw a buck or two in some downed tree tops but no shots. Then headed home before it got really bad. The first Saturday, I forgot my license at home and as I drove back to the Game Lands parking area with it, I saw two bucks cross the road from posted ground into more posted ground. I swear they were laughing at me.

Yesterday, I saw no deer, only a couple of turkeys. Today, I looked out the kitchen window about 7:15 AM and there were 2 deer in the pasture, one turned and ran across the front yard, about 25 feet from the front porch. Great hunting, fun memories but tag soup is still on the menu so far.

Depends on the weather a bit but I'll probably hunt here in Somerset most of the time and then head to DuBois for the last Saturday. That's my birthday, maybe a buck will make a present of himself.

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TomM1
All hail the great Pennsylvania deer drive!

That can only be truly appreciated by serious practitioners of the craft grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's not many left. Everyone watches the TV shows and sits in their stands or pop-up blinds. I sit sometimes too, but there's nothing like a well executed deer drive.

Hope to put on a couple more the day after Christmas as I still have my doe tag. Its a bit tricky with the flintlocks, you definitely don't want them coming out of the thicket full bore.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A hunting buddy of mine had'nt killed a deer in five years. He just wants that trophy buck or for his kids to get one. I kidded him that his firing pin in his 270 was rusted in place and his rifle would'nt go off since it had'nt been fired for so long. On our last drive he shot a nice doe and he was as happy as if he had shot a trophy buck. We had a good season, I can't believe it's over already.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back when family and crew were larger, the area not as broken up, and spikes where allowed, we had it down to a science for our area. Can't remember the exact number, but I think 17 Bucks was our highest first week total for Deer drives.

Addition: For those who think shooting at running Deer is black magic voodoo, then they need to watch a good hand that grew up with driving Deer.

Last edited by battue; 12/15/14.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunted opening day and both Saturdays. Finally scored on the last day. My hunting bud Joe took a 5 point and I got a button buck.

The hunting experience has grown to a very special part in my life....much more than just the hunt. Getting together with good friends, being in the woods, away from work and just the peacefulness of the woods is all special to me!!!

Harry......I left you a PM. I lost your number.....please call me!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
but there's nothing like a well executed deer drive.

It's like a giant chess match, played on the landscape. I miss it greatly but most of the gang have gone to the great hunting grounds in the sky and well, you can fill in the rest of the story. frown

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember all the local landowners had an agreement. Everybody stay on there own land the first day. Day two- everything was fair game for driving.

To piggyback on what battue was saying about shooting running deer, most of the crew I hunted with were also avid rabbit hunters. Come deer season, they simply put the 870 down and picked up the 760. Hunting techniques were essentially the same and effective.

Now, me and my one buddy do a lot of 2-man drives on the parcels we can still hunt. We usually wait until wed. and put out a lot of deer too. Its a credit to his knowledge of the land and most importantly, how the deer react.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's not many left. Everyone watches the TV shows and sits in their stands or pop-up blinds. I sit sometimes too, but there's nothing like a well executed deer drive.

Hope to put on a couple more the day after Christmas as I still have my doe tag. Its a bit tricky with the flintlocks, you definitely don't want them coming out of the thicket full bore.

"there's nothing like a well executed deer drive."

Or a finer way to get your azz shot off!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern

"there's nothing like a well executed deer drive."

Or a finer way to get your azz shot off!!

Ok, that is the teaser, now tell us about the why. I'm sure you have been in on more than a few drives to come to that conclusion.

Anyway, it is all in the set up, but I would be interested in knowing where the ones you participated in had problems. Perhaps we can all learn something to make ours safer.

How many hunters participated in the drives you put on? Large group of hunters of over 10? 5-10? 5 or so? 2 or 3?

In addition, I no longer find them as much fun as in the past due to the fact I think it gives an unfair advantage to the hunter. I would rather still hunt.

Last edited by battue; 12/22/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Back when family and crew were larger, the area not as broken up, and spikes where allowed, we had it down to a science for our area. Can't remember the exact number, but I think 17 Bucks was our highest first week total for Deer drives.

Addition: For those who think shooting at running Deer is black magic voodoo, then they need to watch a good hand that grew up with driving Deer.

Well said!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
265 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.