Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Arizona Republican Martha McSally on Wednesday was declared the winner of the final 2014 congressional race -- giving her party its largest House majority in 83 years when the new Congress convenes next month.

McSally defeated Democratic incumbent Rep. Ron Barber by just 167 votes, in the third contest between them in three years.

Barber was a staffer for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords when he and the congresswoman were wounded during a political event in Tucson in January 2011.

Barber then won a special election to finish Giffords' term. He defeated McSally in 2012 to win a full term in Congress, in a race separated by fewer than 2,500 votes.

McSally, the first U.S. female Air Force combat pilot, won this rematch in a year in which the GOP made big gains across the country. The results of the mandatory recount means Republicans will hold their largest House majority since the administration of President Herbert Hoover, controlling 247 seats to 188 for Democrats.

�Martha McSally has broken barriers her entire life, and I know she will continue to fight for the issues she is passionate about in Washington,� said Oregon Rep. Greg Walden, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. �From growing jobs to securing our border, Martha will be an effective and common-sense representative for southern Arizona.�

The Tucson-area district is one of the most competitive in the nation.

Giffords narrowly won her 2010 race over a Republican challenger in the months before the shooting that killed six and wounded her, Barber and 11 others.

McSally led Barber by 161 votes after all ballots were counted last month. But the margin was so tiny that it triggered an automatic recount, which added six votes to her margin.

Judge Katherine Cooper announced the results, roughly six weeks after the Nov. 4 election, in court Wednesday before lawyers for both candidates. There were no objections.

Barber had fought in several venues to get additional votes counted, but was turned away at every effort. He tried to get the board of supervisors from Pima and Cochise counties and the secretary of state to order rejected provisional and early ballots counted. When that failed, he turned to a federal judge to get the provisional ballots counted.

Separately, a group of voters tried to get the state Supreme Court to halt the recount because of the computer program used. That, too, was rejected.

McSally's win gives the GOP a 5-4 advantage in the Arizona congressional delegation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just hope all to hell that we can get a handle on this stupid "Rent a Computer Polling Machine maintained by Blithering Idiots" routine, and start getting this chit RIGHT.

This crap's been happening in EVERY election for a while now.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sally is hot, and i was hoping for this. I am sure cochise county is too.
Another nail in the coffin for some of the twerps that infest the state.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I would not call her 'hot', but I hope we can call her 'conservative'.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just pray the Republicans don't waste this opportunity by becoming Republicants. And Boehner needs gone!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Biggest R control since 1928. . What happened in 29.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad this one is over and in the books. Glad to see she won. Lets see what the Repubs do with things in the next couple years.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.