Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
May as well pimp your VX-6 2-12/Tikka 7RM and what can be accomplished with the right equipment and a half decent triggerman... cool

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8868980/1

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
The VX-6 is worth the spread, IMO. And, I got'em both.

The VX-3 3.5-10x40 is my pick of the VX-3 litter, especially with a CDS. But, it's just not in the same class as the VX-6.

I'd go VX-3 with a LW, compact rifle, otherwise, I'd go VX-6.

For compact rifles, check out the new VX-2 series. They're pretty close to the VX-3, much improved over the old VX-II/Vari-X-II. With the VX-2, I'd go 3-9 on a LA rifles, 2-7 on a SA rifle for technical mounting reasons. And I'd get a CDS on either one. The CDS is the best elevation turret deal on the market, IMO.

DF

Considering your hands on experience do you think the VX-6 would be a good fit for a model 70 extreme weather?

Yes, it would work well.

That gun is lighter than my 7RM MkV/Brux, probably closer to JG's 7RM Tikka.

With compact, LW rifles, I'm thinking slim, 6# rifles that to me would be better served with a VX-3 or even a VX-2.

I just mounted a VX-2 3-9x40 on a friends SS Extreme Weather M-70, using Leupold mounts. It looked good. That new M-70 is super slick. FN is doing a great job with those. I even liked the new trigger.

But, the gun is big enough to work with a VX-6, 2-12. IIRC that M-70 weighs around 7#'s.

VX-6's start getting heavy with the 3-18/adjustable parallax. The 2-12 isn't that bad and is pretty sleek for a 30 mm scope.

DF

I've actually already got a DNZ one piece 30mm mount that I plan on using because I already went through this once before but my 1st EW had issues and was returned to winchester.

I've been told I'm receiving a replacement and I wasn't entirely happy with the scope I had on the first one so I figured this is a good time to change things up.

I'm thinking this scope should be a much better fit than what I had before.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My friend is very pleased with his EW M-70.

What was the problem with your 1st one?

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My friend is very pleased with his EW M-70.

What was the problem with your 1st one?

DF

Major accuracy issues. Best I ever got out of it was about 2" and often times it was 5-6".

Winchester hasn't told me what was wrong with it specifically but I was informed that I would be receiving a new gun. I plan on requesting that they shoot it before they send it to me so I don't go through the same hassle again.

Last edited by snowboardguy; 12/05/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's a bummer.

This one shot well. Hope your replacement does, too.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's a bummer.

This one shot well. Hope your replacement does, too.

DF

Thanks, I hope so too.

As much of a bummer as it was that it was a lemon I'm glad to see they are stepping up and taking care of it and look at it as an opportunity to equip it differently this time around.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I currently hunt with both of those exact scopes. FWIW:
VX6 has better glass (superb glass BTW)
VX6 has the best duplex reticle made/perfect thickness, stays black
VX6 (if you're into CDS) has 20 MOA per turn, VX3 has 15
VX6 has the most user friendly eyebox of any scope I've ever used
especially at higher mags
VX3 is the perfect size, obviously smaller profile than VX6
VX3 has great glass, just not quite as good as VX6
VX3 power ring is easier to adjust than VX6 (a bit stiff)

All of this IMHO of course. Good luck.

Ditto on all of the above. I love both scopes and own both. However if my goal was a lightweight mountain rifle I would go with the VX-3.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alright guys, sorry to bring this back to life but can anyone chime in with some details about the 4-12 VX-R?

I know some people don't see it as a big deal but one of the biggest things I dislike about the VX-3 scopes is the locking eyepiece.

Seeing how the VX-R offers a quick adjust eyepiece and is offered in a 4-12 I think it is also worth considering.

Am I wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
snowboardguy- I think your real question is - do I trust someone on the internet more than something I see with my own eyes. I been there and the answer is NO.

How can someone tell you that you are wrong? Trust yourself. Don't spend a bunch of money on something that has a feature you don't like.

Nothing wrong with a VX-r.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Alright guys, sorry to bring this back to life but can anyone chime in with some details about the 4-12 VX-R?

I know some people don't see it as a big deal but one of the biggest things I dislike about the VX-3 scopes is the locking eyepiece.

Seeing how the VX-R offers a quick adjust eyepiece and is offered in a 4-12 I think it is also worth considering.

Am I wrong?

The 4-12 has too much eye relief variation to make it useful. It's either too close on the bottom end or too far away on the top. If you tend to only use it high or low, then you can mount it up that way.

Why don't you like the locking ring anyway?

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.