Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wfnt.com "The Gun Smith's Show" reports this morning 12/6/14, that H&R rifles and shotguns ends production. (Found this on another forum.)

As a lefty and owner of many H&R and NEF branded rifles and shotguns, I will be disappointed to see them go if this proves to be true.

The barrel accessory program had ended, and they are just finishing past orders received. Who knows what the future holds for this historical company?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Confused
Campfire Regular
S
If true, another one down to Freedom Group...

Matt

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Damn, if true I guess I won't be getting a 7mm/08 bbl for my .223 bbled handi-rifle...

Better by that 30/06 at the pawn shop!

Regards,
Ben
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just helped a friend sight in one in 20ga yesterday for slugs...did 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't see anything on their website to support this and looks as though the barrel program is still available. I'll have to call and get a service request number and send in for a couple barrels, I'm sure they'll tell me then.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While their website indicates that nothing is going on if you try to order a firearm you will get an out of stock notice, at least on the few I checked.

I find it odd that they have not issued a press release on this unless they are trying to unload all the available inventory before they shut it up.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would imagine the recent advent of the bargain basement bolt actions like the Axis and Ruger American has really cut into their sales.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Freedom Group/Remington will see to it that both H&R and Marlin will go the way of the dodo bird. According to the boys over at GBO, H&R will shut down[if they haven't already] right after the first of the year. They keep going, Marlin will be next. Their QC on the new Remlins already suck.

maddog

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I called H&R (in North Carolina) two weeks ago and was told that they are restructuring and the extra barrel program is going away after January 1.

I wanted a 44 mag barrel fitted to my carbine frame and the rep said that they had no idea what barrels remain since they have been unable to get a list from Ilion. He suggested I send it (to Ilion) and issued a service request number. My frame and fore end got there last Tuesday. I'll post any status updates.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's too bad, kind of an iconic firearm.

When I saw this thread a few days ago I looked at Bud's Gunshop and they still show some H&R rifles and shotguns available. Davidson' only showed a couple 20ga left.

A few months ago I bought an H&R 12ga single-shot, just to have one. There's something I like about such a basic firearm.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.

Now I'm gonna have to buy one of them danged things before they become a collector's item and cost more than .22LRs.

grin

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It may be that "restructuring" means they are shutting down in order to move everything to the new facility in AL. Marlin, IIRC, was out of print for a while becasue of the same thing.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I would imagine the recent advent of the bargain basement bolt actions like the Axis and Ruger American has really cut into their sales.
Sounds plausible to me. The cheap pump shotguns killed the single shots years ago too IMO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All this talk of them closing, I had to buy an Ultra Hunter .450 when one came up for sale cheap locally.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steveco
I called H&R (in North Carolina) two weeks ago and was told that they are restructuring and the extra barrel program is going away after January 1.

I wanted a 44 mag barrel fitted to my carbine frame and the rep said that they had no idea what barrels remain since they have been unable to get a list from Ilion. He suggested I send it (to Ilion) and issued a service request number. My frame and fore end got there last Tuesday. I'll post any status updates.

Great info thanks!! Any updates??

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Got a quote for the additional barrel yesterday. Called this morning and paid.

Rep said the extra barrel program is being discontinued. The online barrel list has been reduced as well. I was also told that 30-30 is not available. Sounds like they'll continue until they run out of extra barrels. It's worth a call.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Snopes.com says it is not true about Marlin and others being closed down by The Freedom Group

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Looks like I will never get a 45-70 barrel to go with my 500 s&w

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My AAC 300Blk shipped Friday.
PSA has them for 239. Guess they got the memo.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There's a guy in Oklahoma, David White, who will make custom barrels for H&R/NEF singleshots using the breech ends of H&R/NEF shotgun barrels. It's not cheap, though, like buying another complete Handi Gun, and that's with you supplying the shotgun barrel and a rifle barrel blank. I suppose that's all relative, though.

Last edited by Ploughman; 01/29/15.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The boys on Greybeards ( pretty cool group) have been really upset about this for some time I have been following it there. They take it personally.
In the past I had a pile of these and have thinned them down quite a bit still have a few.
I was thrilled to find one in 22Hornet at a very fair price
There is something very cool about the simplicity of these
I think this Hornet will be great in my trunk I would be very unlikely to do this to my ABolt Hornet so these are useful to me

They changed the Deer Laws here in So Michigan 44mags have get very popular bad timing to stop
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hope production resumes, although they are losing their market to the entry level bolt guns. At one time a shooter on a budget could get a Handi for a lot less than a bolt gun. That is no longer true. The Savage Axis and Ruger American are not much more expensive than the Handi and look how much more you get. The Handis are often a bit difficult to get to shoot accurately due to the for end mounted to the barrel and not everybody has the patience to tinker with them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
According to what looks to be a very good source on GO
they announced today the end of production

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My first real hunting gun was an H&R .410 and for that I'll love them always. Fortunately I bought a Handi in 7mm-08 as well as a .223 tube last year. In a rare stroke of good sense, I got the short stock to convert them into a small person's gun as well. Neither has been shot, but a local smith did a great trigger job for $60.

As far as Freedom Group goes, I shed no tears for their market share lost to Finns and Europeans.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
According to what looks to be a very good source on GO
they announced today the end of production

Hank appreciate the heads up, but need to ask: What is "GO" please?

And do you know anymore about where I could confirm this myself.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
fourbore he should have typed GBO Graybeard Outdoors. go down to the H&R Handi rifle centerfire rifles section. It's posted there.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

maddog

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
thanks, that is this thread:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/bad-news!!/

I guess it is not official, but seems bleak for H&R single shots.
What a shame.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd say it's "official" enough, since Brian works as a smith for H&R. sad news all the way around. Between my son and I we own five H&R single shots, 3 rifles and 2 shotguns. Thinking about going and buying a new little 410 pardner I saw at the gun shop, last week.

maddog

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a Handirifle in .17HMR and thought about selling it a while back. Glad I changed my mind! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My first shotgun as a Kid was a H&R and my first M-16 in the Army was a H&R

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.