Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.

We use to go to the movies in town living off base in England...

They'd play God Save the Queen, and we American kids would stand and sing, " My Country Tis of Thee...."

The screen would show images and the music, but not the words...

We'd do it because the Limeys would get all pissed off and start yelling " you bloody yanks sit down and STFU!".. which just inspired us to sing louder.....

just us and some old duffers in there on Saturday afternoon for the 1 PM showing...

The Theatre was owned by an Aussie, who use to get a big kick out of pissing off the English...so he would seldom tell us to sit down and shut up...

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Australia is a must see...not so much Sydney but the outback areas are pretty unique. They say Australians have a "Can Do" attitude much the same as the US was back in the 50's and I've seen it first hand. Not a bunch of whiners like in the US right now thats for sure- its refreshing.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by B_Lance
Australia is a must see...not so much Sydney but the outback areas are pretty unique. They say Australians have a "Can Do" attitude much the same as the US was back in the 50's and I've seen it first hand. Not a bunch of whiners like in the US right now thats for sure- its refreshing.

I can promise you an Aussie "can do" attitude isn't necessarily good for a career path in the US, particularly in the corporate sector. Takes a while to find where you fit in and that is usually in the privately owned segment of industry where they actually like performance and making money.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first exposure to guys from the Land of Oz wuz a bunch of Aussie Grunts in Vietnam. Too busy with "business" to get a lot more out of it. SECOND encounter!!!! grin grin Bangkok Thailand. In a bar. Had just hired my girl for the week when a bunch of Aussie Sailors stumbled in. After a few Thai beers (strong stuff) they just got up and started fighting. EVERYBODY got dragged in! grin Then jus as suddenly, they stopped fighting, put the tables and chairs back up, started drinking again and everybody wuz best friends again. grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
So is it "poofer" or "poofter". Or both?

According to Sir Les Patterson.
Chocolate cha cha artist is the correct term.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnECsAf-WY

Regards,
btm_54
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That video, is good I'm telling you.

lol

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh laugh laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You might not realize this but Sir Les Patterson and Dame Edna Everidge are one of the same.

And Barry Humphries does a mighty fine job as both.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dan_oz
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.

I wonder how those GIs would have felt had an Australian, guest in your country, publicly refused to stand for the anthem, and then said something disparaging about your head of state? It would have been seen as bad manners, I suspect, and rightly.

FWIW though, it has been many decades since God Save the King, or God Save the Queen, has been our anthem.
I would shake the man's hand because I guarantee that no Aussie could possibly say anything more disparaging about our head of state than I do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I would shake the man's hand because I guarantee that no Aussie could possibly say anything more disparaging about our head of state than I do.

laugh

Last edited by johnfox; 12/17/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I wonder how those GIs would have felt had an Australian, guest in your country, publicly refused to stand for the anthem, and then said something disparaging about your head of state? It would have been seen as bad manners, I suspect, and rightly.

FWIW though, it has been many decades since God Save the King, or God Save the Queen, has been our anthem.

Ain't that the truth! I'd probably get along fine with any Australian who tabs our illustrious leader with with "Drongo, F---Wit, turd burgler, wacker, ice hole, and a dozen more" because as best I can tell they all fit! Heck, I might adopt some of that verbiage because in the last few years I've worn the American equivalents out when referring to our "head of state". Right off the bat I notice that Obongo rhymes with Drongo! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My all time favorite expression came from a white haired Aussie who was my host in Sydney for a few days. He told a couple of us about a brazen attempt a company had made to cheat him in a business deal. My response was something along the line that it is hard to believe how stupid people can be.

"Spit me death and hope to die in a rat trap, it's true!" he replied.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
got any single fat gurls?im wanting one of them 6 cylinder hemi engines in 265ci with an old GM 3-71 blower on top.iif the fat gurls can cook mite take one of thems

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't know those boys are pretty creative but i would buy them beer and compare notes on disparaging remarks re obongo.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

When I got out of the Navy in '72 I stayed in the Philippines for a year or so. For a while I had an guy from Australia (another young, expat SOF) as a room mate. He'd emigrated from the UK with his family to Australia as a kid. One thing he told me was that, at the movie theater (I'm sorry, theatre) in Australia, everyone would reverently stand for GSTK. When he'd been a kid in Liverpool, they'd all just hoot and holler through the whole thing.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In Oz, the "Theatre" is called the "Pictures" as it is in the UK.

You never hear anyone calling it a theatre.

Just an FYI.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And the work "Outback", it an American phrase. I never heard as Aussie use it. Thus, Oz now has the Outback restaurant which made its debut in Sept 2002 and they flew in a plane load of yanks to start it up as no Aussie ever heard of a "Blooming Onion" let alone an Outback restaurant.

At least they could get Aussie beer there I guess, which is a huge let down here in the US.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
And the work "Outback", it an American phrase. I never heard as Aussie use it.

So what term do you guys use for the outback then?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
When Aussies gout out in the scrub we call it the bush, no matter what the terrain is.

PS: We don't drink Fosters either. It is cats piss.
The Fosters sold in the US is made in the US and not the same recipe.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.