Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The JCH M50 gets well deserved respect for it's FN action, High Standard chrome lined barrel, imminently usable accuracy and in times past, a bargain price. However, the factory trigger gets none of that respect, and many have been replaced with aftermarket triggers. The M50 trigger is a simple, open and robust trigger mechanically somewhat like the original Winchester M70. The difference is that the trigger pivots from the bottom metal instead of the receiver. The M50 trigger is not adjustable but easily tweakable, due, in large part, to the open design.

My main objection was the heavy gritty trigger pull. But with the simple-to-do application of several layers of aluminum duct tape, sear engagement was reduced and resulted in a remarkably smooth, creepless trigger pull. Frankly, it was surprising how much the trigger was improved with such a simple tweak. Every test to elicit an unintentional sear disengagement has been passed. Sear engagement is, for the most part, dependent on the invariant relationship between the receiver and the bottom metal so the action and bottom metal have been epoxy and pillar bedded together with that in mind.

Safety testing continues.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got mine w/out a stock and used a milsurp 98 stock cut down for it. Other than the fact that the bottom metal is a bit shorter everything works fine with the trigger actually quite good w/no creep and breaks cleanly at probably about 3.5#. all in all a very good buy w/weaver scope for $140 at the local pawn shop. Now to give the stock a slimming to a more "Rigby" profile overall, I got lotsa wood to work with. Carbon is the throat/ball seat very, very short in yours?-Muddy

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends. I have a .30-06. With 200gr Lapua Mega bullets kissing the lands, COAL is 3.668". Maximum magazine length is 3.304". Bullet jump is in excess of 0.3" so either the throat is long or the magazine is short for that bullet.

The original M50 stock is also more lumber than desired. It is clocking some time on the band saw and the bench sander.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I first looked at mine, I wanted to replace just because it doesn't pivot on the receiver. I actually felt quite nice and I left it on. Maybe someone had already worked on it as you have done.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had half a dozen or more of them and after the first trigger broke in half just below the sear I replaced all of them. A couple with Timney's and the rest with take-off Mk X triggers.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have had half a dozen or more of them and after the first trigger broke in half just below the sear I replaced all of them. A couple with Timney's and the rest with take-off Mk X triggers.

That is plain spooky. Do you know how or why it happened, e.g. material flaw?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know why it broke but it did break while in use. I do know that the wood on all the JC Higgens rifles I owned was pretty soft and porous and because the trigger was hinged on the bottom metal and the sear on the receiver sometimes when the rifle got wet the swelling would get bad enough to affect the trigger pull.
I am not a gunsmith but that can't be good.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
....because the trigger was hinged on the bottom metal and the sear on the receiver sometimes when the rifle got wet the swelling would get bad enough to affect the trigger pull.
I am not a gunsmith but that can't be good.

Thanks. Sound advice to be heeded. Like you say, the factory stock is quite soft. When the stock is finally whittled down to where it seems right, it will get a Sitka style epoxy finish to seal the wood.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For what it's worth, Frank DeHaas in his book Bolt Action Rifles writes about the weakness from the "v" notch in the sear, i believe it was. I have had several Higgins 50s and one of mine broke at that point. I replaced with Timneys but still have one with original trigger. I am not seeing the photo DeHaas included in my later 3rd edition of his book but was in the earlier edition which I can't find at the moment. I don't know what caused mine to break but always was a bit uneasy with this. Bruce

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Leadminer,

Thank you for your post. After reading your post, I looked in my revised edition of de Haas' book. Unless I missed it, apparently, in the revision, the JCH M50 was deleted from the sections discussing FN commercial Mauser actions.

Regardless, think I best be on the lookout for a replacement trigger. That kind of trigger failure is just too risky despite how well it now works.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You are welcome...I looked for the earlier edition that I have had for years and can't remember where I put it- but the author included a photo of the sear....I dug out the one I had the trouble with and that little v is where mine broke. I had a M50 re-barreled to 7X57 a couple years ago and haven't got around to changing out the trigger but intend to. Bruce

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Carbon, When I said the throat in my model 50 was short and asked about yours I appreciated your answer and finally measured mine today. I took a fired case and w/a neck die sized about 3mm of the neck and then put a 180 gr. Sierra MK in it about that deep and closed the bolt. The coal from tip to base is 3.255 a lot shorter than yours, anyway FYI. Thanks-Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
get yourself a Blackburn trigger and a 3 position safety and don't look back!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by muddy22
Carbon, When I said the throat in my model 50 was short and asked about yours I appreciated your answer and finally measured mine today. I took a fired case and w/a neck die sized about 3mm of the neck and then put a 180 gr. Sierra MK in it about that deep and closed the bolt. The coal from tip to base is 3.255 a lot shorter than yours, anyway FYI. Thanks-Muddy

Muddy22,

I need to apologize for my previous post reporting the chamber of my M50 has a max COAL of 3.668 with 200 gr Mega bullets. That was an error. The correct max COAL is 3.298". So the throat of your M50 may not be that much different than the throat in my M50.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.