I have two sets on the bench.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, but a sample of one doesn't bug me much. somebody on that thread talked about thinking the concave radius on the base was too small so when the base was tightened to the receiver, it had to spread open a little. kinda my thoughts too, but without knowing for sure it wasn't operator error or a incorrect base (packaged wrong perhaps), I'll carry on knowing they have worked for me for a long time.

the Burris DD bases may be an option for those with nagging doubts from the leupold thread. they look solid, and my M70 .375 AI has a fairly heavy scope in a set of those.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TPS rings with EGW rail. (EGW cause they have LH rails)

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by toad
yea, but a sample of one doesn't bug me much. somebody on that thread talked about thinking the concave radius on the base was too small so when the base was tightened to the receiver, it had to spread open a little. kinda my thoughts too, but without knowing for sure it wasn't operator error or a incorrect base (packaged wrong perhaps), I'll carry on knowing they have worked for me for a long time.

the Burris DD bases may be an option for those with nagging doubts from the leupold thread. they look solid, and my M70 .375 AI has a fairly heavy scope in a set of those.

I'd like to know which are MIM and which are milled steel.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by toad
yea, but a sample of one doesn't bug me much.

Me neither. I will just keep an eye on them. cool

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Warne steel ( Weaver style) base with Burris Z rings

+1

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't know anymore but the longer I'm at this stuff the more I am leaning to a cross slot format.

My 375 H&H has the cross slots: steel bases/rings: Leupold PRW:
[Linked Image]

They are ungodly strong, but there's a fine line between what's going to work and work well vs. something that is going to last the lifetime of the rifle... Bob, you know some of the rifles we shoot, last a few generations wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great stuff by all appreciate all.

What I've personally witnessed the most was folks adjustable bases fail, due to stripping typically. Believe it happened to me once as well.

Therefore I like to KISS. Talley LW is simple, but a few have failed it seems. Failure itself is one issue, diagnosing the cause of said failure can reveal if it's solely the result of product failure. Likely some directly and others not so much related.

Wrongside, I have been curious about the NF, but no plans soon due to funds, should I deem an NF worthy of its price tag. I am neutral on that NF but do know the brand has many loyal happy users. That said, many are Tac shooters who have much twisting mileage on glass.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Warne steel ( Weaver style) base with Burris Z rings for me

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
65BR,
First place in numbers is a tie between Old Ugly Weavers

I can get behind old Weavers especially the 30-40 year old vintage in gloss that have faded to that lovely purple 'patina' extra points for miss-matched screws! grin I think most any all steel Weaver style system can't be a bad way to go the sheer amount of them still truckin along tells us that...

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You guys scare me. I've never once went hunting and worried whether my ring or base set up was going to fail me. I've mainly used David Gentry's ultra light wrap around rings and bases on most of my rifles. I can no longer get them due to David's passing. powdr

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Add me to he list of fans of "old ugly weavers". A good rugged setup, that you can remove and replace without tools and without notable POI change, and very light too.

I also like claw mounts, but they are very expensive. Very handy for instant removal and replacement of scopes though. I also have a couple of rifles with dovetails, and lever-release ringmounts (steel ones, by Lynx), and if they have a stop or something like it to index against they work well too - I've never had them fail.

I am definitely not a fan of Redfield Jr style though, nor do I much like turn-in mounts.

I like mounts that allow a scope to come off easily in poor weather, or for travel (or if I have a bad spill) and go back on again without needing to re-zero. Not everyone may share that preference though, and so their choices may be different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Ok folks, put in your pick for the most durable scope mount system for a 700/Custom Clone. What do you consider to be the most failproof on the market?

As for 2 piece bases:

Leupold Mark 4 rings and bases are beefier than any mentioned thus far. PRWs are also very good.

I still have bunches of the fugly old Weavers in use. They work well.

I'll never get why the Burris Zee rings are popular. Only 2 screws in the rings, a noticeable thin spot, and a round cross slot screw. The screw isn't as beefy as others, makes less contact with the base than others, has a GAY slotted head, and I have seen the heads sheer right off when tightened. Plus they require lapping more often than not. No thanks.

Burris 2 piece Picatinny with Burris Xtreme tactical work well also......

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love the S&K SKulptered bases & rings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know how there could be a stronger and more secure mount than the original Weaver base and original "wrapover" ring. They are not the prettiest but for lightweight and secure they are as good as it gets. Also they have a good return to zero if one just alternates tightening the mounting screws.

I recall reading a test of various base/ring combos years ago, perhaps in an early edition of Rifle, the test was conducted using a heavy recoiling rifle and in the end the Weaver combo came out on top.

I can recall having a couple of scope slippage issues but never while using the Weavers.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like Weaver two piece bases and Leupold PRW rings.
For my money Weaver bases are light and strong , but dirt cheap like me...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As for 2 piece bases:

Leupold Mark 4 rings and bases are beefier than any mentioned thus far. PRWs are also very good.

I still have bunches of the fugly old Weavers in use. They work well.

I'll never get why the Burris Zee rings are popular. Only 2 screws in the rings, a noticeable thin spot, and a round cross slot screw. The screw isn't as beefy as others, makes less contact with the base than others, has a GAY slotted head, and I have seen the heads sheer right off when tightened. Plus they require lapping more often than not. No thanks.

Burris 2 piece Picatinny with Burris Xtreme tactical work well also......

[/quote]

You nailed it on the Burris Zee rings. The "why" of it is because too many guys listen to the doink behind the counter without actually thinking and looking for themselves and whenever you only zero your rifle once per year and fire one or two shots per year to tag-out, not a whole hell of a lot will go wrong or fail. Most guys just don't spend enough time on the range or with the tools of their "trade" in-hand.

So many rifles and so few riflemen.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
How many have you had fail on you?

What are the specs (weight, cartridge, scope) and how many rounds you put through the rifle on which they failed?

I've got a few sets of them and with a little loctite and self-control when torquing down the cross slot screw have had no issue. I don't shoot a ton but more than the stereotypical deal you describe; in each of the two rifles I'm thinking of probably around 1k/yr?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
571 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.