Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok folks, put in your pick for the most durable scope mount system for a 700/Custom Clone, so Ruger and Sako Set ups excluded wink

Most have seen/heard of the adjustable rear base systems failing, lately Dual Dovetail, and in the past aluminum Talley Lightweight. What do you consider to be the most failproof on the market?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
Burris Signature for me. Never had a reason to change. I have had problems with adjustable rear bases and Talley lightweights.

Rick
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Burris Signatures are the best to me. I used some Talleys on my ultralight rifle and had to lap a lot to get the scope to fit. The Talleys are 2 1/2 oz while the Burris Signatures are 5 oz.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer a pic rail, one that has the full slot all the way accross not the valley in the middle of the slots. the EGW heavy duty would be an example of what I like. Weaver makes one there are others. This way I have ONE mounting system on every gun I own. I can move and easily install a scope on another gun. If I want a load development scope on that gun, no problemo. I have one that stays mounted in leupold QRW rings bam its on.

for premium rings I like the nightforce ultra light titaniums. There are lots of others, weaver skeletons, leupold QRW's steel, aluminum, just lots and lots of options on rings. I don't see there being a heavier duty more optioned setup.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good feedback folks, appreciate hearing of good options that have worked for you, and welcome others to chime in.

JB, if you read this - surely you've mounted a few B&R and have some opinions...what is your top pick?

Maybe a good topic for a future article....

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Almost any Weaver-style base and ring, even dirt cheap aluminum ones, have never failed me in any way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Almost any Weaver-style base and ring, even dirt cheap aluminum ones, have never failed me in any way.

Yep, if you're looking at two piece bases and rings, the Weaver style are among if not the strongest.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold DD line lapped

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I once regarded the Weaver system poorly but time has shown me the error of my ways. I have to go along with the Weaver even if it is aluminum.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without going to big overbuilt tactical style mounts I've found Burris Sig Z rings excellent for durability and accuracy. Actually I'd put them up against most of the tactical/target stuff too.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1. Talley steels
2. Leupold PRW: (permanent weaver style)..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
65BR,

I just "surveyed" my collection of centerfire rifles and aside from rings that came with various rifles, found at least 15 different kinds of scope mounts, including some from Burris, Griffin & Howe, Leupold, Precision Reflex, Seekins, Talley, Warne and Weaver.

First place in numbers is a tie between Old Ugly Weavers and Talley Lightweights, but my harder-kicking rifles tend to have steel Talleys or various tactical/Picatinny rings. However, I must comment that I've never had any problems with Old Ugly Weavers or Talley Lightweights, despite some hard use of both.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB, I've had really good luck with DD's and Talley lightweights as well... I guess I'm just extremely lucky...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Warne steel ( Weaver style) base with Burris Z rings

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Growing up, the ugly Weavers sure did seem to serve an awful lot of people really well, and for a long time. About the only time you saw "them fancy Loo-poles" was if a rich relative showed up to hunt once or twice a year. In all seriousness, I can't imagine a R/B being any closer to indesructable than the Talley steels. You would about have to strip or crossthread the screws on one to compromise it.
John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
been leaning back toward detachable Weavers, now that they have 4 holes (a beautiful thing) and TPS rings on steel Weaver bases for heavier set-ups.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excluding tactical pic rail type systems- I really like the S&K SKulptured Bases and Kontoured rings. Lightweight, strong and good looking. The steel Talleys are also a great product, IMO. Both strong and look great on a classically styled rifle.

Having seen them break, I've zero interest in the Talley LWs anymore. Others have had better experiences with them, and that is great...

ETA: I just noticed your other thread RE: VX3 vs. Nightforce. If you're building a more 'Target/Tactical' rifle, my suggestions might not suit... If I were putting a Nightforce on a rifle I'd not use the Talleys or S&Ks. smile

Last edited by Wrongside; 12/19/14.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Leupold dual dovetail bases and Burris signature rings have worked well for me. I have them on both my .338 Win. and 375 H&H.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know anymore but the longer I'm at this stuff the more I am leaning to a cross slot format.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two .375 RUMs wearing Talley LWs, less issue.

second choice would be Leupold or Burris DD, in spite of the recent 'failure' on the interweb..

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 49 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,720
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.