Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Didn't have to go far to find a major flaw. Some here said the eye relief was too short. K6 is about 1-3/8" shorter than the 6x42 for me. That's with the 6x42 just on the edge of being too far from the eye. Seems the K6 doesn't have as much forgiveness either (eye box). But it's a nice scope for the money for a non-heavy kicker and probably best on a short action. Length of tube for mounting is about the same between the two.

Brightness of the K6 is great....but would want to compare them in the field.

Not sure what I'm going to mount it on. Picked up a Montana 308 today, but had a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 in the safe and used that. But I want to try it out on something.

Pic shows both scopes placed representative of where the eye relief was for me. Again....difference is about 1-3/8".

[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I moved the K6 I had around to quite a few rifles trying to find one I could get enough eye relief on. At the time, I didn't have any short action rifles but it did work fine on a couple of rimfires. It was disappointing because I liked the scope - very clear/bright view. I eventually sold it and now have a short action Kimber 257 Roberts that it probably would've worked on. Another thought where it might work well is on an AR of some flavor...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

You hit that review dead-on! That is exactly how they compare/function.

The Weaver K6 goes perfectly on a Model Seven, can be wiggled onto a short 700, but is about useless on even a short Ruger or Winchester. Long action is a no go. BUT, on a Seven, they shine brightly!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It's a shame they won't work well with a long action. I have a 98 Mauser in 257 Roberts that would be about perfect for this. Thanks for the comparison.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stuck one on a T/C Omega muzzleloader and was pretty impressed with it for the $.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
It's a shame they won't work well with a long action. I have a 98 Mauser in 257 Roberts that would be about perfect for this. Thanks for the comparison.

I've got a vz-24 with a new yugo barrel that's getting a K4(same dimensions)...thinking it will work in std Leupold mounts(will need to check to be sure...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
IMO, from a sample of one, the K6 is inferior compared to the Leupy, not even close.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would definitely agree from what I've observed. For the cost, for those that maybe can't afford a Leupold yet, they're good scopes. But applications are very limited as far as I'm concerned.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

I've got a vz-24 with a new yugo barrel that's getting a K4(same dimensions)...thinking it will work in std Leupold mounts(will need to check to be sure...

I got a K4 as well when I ordered the K6. Not a bad scope for $122 or so. And a little more eye relief than the K6.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had a 6x weaver for about 20 years now (I think). I like it alot but I do wish Weaver would put the microtrac in a fixed 6, fix the eye-relief and eye-box issue and then compete with loopie at a much lower price.

If wishes was horses beggers would ride...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a picatinny rail on my Charles Daly Mauser to get the eye relief I needed with my K6. The front ring is nearly over the center of the action.

That being said....the scope works very well. Jumped through some hoops to get it to work for me but I'm happy with the whole setup.

Dan

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the Weaver on a short-action 700. No issues.
Bob

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I stuck a K6 on a .243 Montana a few years ago, as it was handy. I had ordered a Leupy 2.5-8 to use on it.

Well the K6 is still on there and works just fine.

I have one on a Cz .223-527 Carbine and I love it for that little rifle.

Seems like I always have a couple on the shelf for, "random rifles", that follow me home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After having both I can safely say I will never own another friction adjustment scope.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kenjs1
After having both I can safely say I will never own another friction adjustment scope.

Why not?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I dunno if anybody remembers the Nikon 6x40 (or was it 6x42?) they offered for quite a while. It was fine optically, and the adjustments were good too. But it not only had short eye relief (maybe 3", at most) and a VERY short tube. I had one for several years and kept trying it on different rifles, never really getting it to work right, and finally sold the thing. In comparison, the Weaver K6 is EASY to mount!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Headline

"Montana hunter declares Nikon even worse than Weaver!"

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shodd

Why not?

Shod

Perhaps I blame the scopes for my tracking inability but I had a Vx1 and M8 and would take the precise clicks of the Weaver over those any day. It seems everyone has ditched the friction adjustments and think there is a reason for that. Bottom line is if I am going to buy a scope it would be a newer one because the recent crop are just that much better overall so no reason for me to have friction adjustments.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you talking about getting sighted in, or more adjustment use in the field?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I dunno if anybody remembers the Nikon 6x40 (or was it 6x42?) they offered for quite a while. It was fine optically, and the adjustments were good too. But it not only had short eye relief (maybe 3", at most) and a VERY short tube. I had one for several years and kept trying it on different rifles, never really getting it to work right, and finally sold the thing. In comparison, the Weaver K6 is EASY to mount!

What? According to Shodd 3" of eye-relief is all you need, unless you are a retard.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Are you talking about getting sighted in, or more adjustment use in the field?

Getting sighted in. The M8 was trickier than the Vx-1. I would never have thought of ever touching it in the field. Once I got it set they stayed good to go but I certainly prefer good repeatable clicks. Weaver, Sightron and Meopta I had were a lot easier for me to deal with.

. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RGK other than the handle being on the wrong side that looks like my 6mm did for ages.

. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Why not?

Shod

Perhaps I blame the scopes for my tracking inability but I had a Vx1 and M8 and would take the precise clicks of the Weaver over those any day. It seems everyone has ditched the friction adjustments and think there is a reason for that. Bottom line is if I am going to buy a scope it would be a newer one because the recent crop are just that much better overall so no reason for me to have friction adjustments.

I love the friction adjustments. They seem to be spot on and I've never had any problem sighting one in.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a K6 Weaver on a Tikka t3 lite in .300 wm and on a Remington 700 in .243. and no scope related issues. The .300 kicks a bit ,but the eye relief has not been an issue. I have a 19.5 neck so my head tends to follow my shoulder fairly close behind in recoil!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Why not?

Shod

I love the friction adjustments. They seem to be spot on and I've never had any problem sighting one in.

Other seem to like them too. Just not for me I guess. Problem could have been the nut behind the nut in my case. Is anyone still making scopes without click adjustments?

. Confucius
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd rather have the Weaver since it is click adjustments, fully multicoated lenses and it is normally found for less money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.