Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The 1" LWs held a Leupo 6x42 and the combo has taken a beating on the coast being dropped and driven into the ground hard numerous times.

I took the Talleys off due to being askeered of them cracking like an egg. Didn't know that they had already cracked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have schitty luck with mounts. Were these and the DD's mounted on the same rifle??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Kimber Montana 84M 7mm-08. Took the 1" Talleys off to install a 30mm Super Chicken with the DD.

Must be a defective riflegrin

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/17/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably bad superchicken mojo. Only big stick can use the chicken successfully on a Montana.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stick can do what to a chicken in Montana. He's got the short legs for it.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Stick can do what to a chicken in Montana. He's got the short legs for it.... whistle

its too early in the Morning to go there.....yuck....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used the Torque wrench on these like the DDs that cracked?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Yep. Kimber Montana 84M 7mm-08. Took the 1" Talleys off to install a 30mm Super Chicken with the DD.

Must be a defective riflegrin

Hmmm...could it be that the holes in the receiver aren't properly spaced and the mounts end up stressed when you torque them down, making them susceptible to breaking?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gasman,

The mounting holes line up perfectly with the Talleys and Leupo DD. And the scopes dropped in freely with both mounts, with no gaps or binding in any direction.

65BR,

Good question. The LWs were NOT installed with a torque wrench. I used a short Torx key and tightened using the stubby end, then flipped and snugged a little with the longer end. Been doing this for the past 15 rifles or so without any issues. This was the technique recommended by Larue or US Optics (don't remember which) when a torque wrench is not available. I did the same with the DD, but checked afterwards with the calibrated torque wrench.

So the Talleys may have been overtightened. But my bet is that they were not as its pretty hard to get any leverage using the method mentioned above but it certainly could be the root cause of the cracking.

Jason

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With that light of tightening, I cannot see how that you cracked them. Probably just a bad batch of metal would be my guess.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Or you're repeatedly beating people over the head with your mounted scopes?

Just sayin'...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dakota,

I think that clearspan on the underside doesn't help with mount integrity but that is just a guess. I'm tempted to build a test fixture to run controlled tests on different mounting systems.

Kentucky,

Beatings only happen to locals who don't listen. Seriously though, my rifles have taken some rough hits hunting the breaks of the Snake River and coastrange of OR. More than once have I fallen down expecting to see my scope or stock busted. Never had any problems with 1913 rails or DNZ mounts though. My first DD and first Talleys... not so good.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/19/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jason, sorry about your chitty luck with these 2 styles of bases. They are my favorite systems. I've never tried the DNZ mounts, have heard they are very strong. I've had 1913 mil spec rails and they are hell for stout, but heavy and too "tacticool" looking. Hope you find something that works on that Montana that doesn't look too out of place.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks L. Honestly I hate rails due to the scope height even though I've used them on several rifles. And kydex tacos or stock purses are not my thing. But rails are strong and I've never had the system split or crack. Still a 42mm Chicken on a rail is not my first choice unless it can sit low.

Besides the mounts splitting, the ocular jam-nut on my FX-3 comes loose every 50 rounds or less on the Kimber if I don't keep an eye on it. I tighten the shhit out of it and can't get it any tighter even with a strap wrench. The 7-08 doesn't have much recoil so it must be something to do with the harmonics. The same scope never had an issue on a couple of 300 Win Mags. Only other rifle that would loosen the ocular was a 375 Ruger.

I've got Warne bases and Maximas ordered. I've had good luck with Maximas and they sit lower than most. I doubt I'll have an issue with those but if I do I'll post an update. Wish I could use Seekins rings but they won't fit the Warne bases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two words- blue Loctite wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did put 242 on one FX-3.

Before doing that I was in the Leupo facility in Beavertown talking to one of the lead techs who is also a gunsmith. He offered to face the jam-nut to get better contact with the ocular piece. I asked about Loc-tite and he suggested cleaning the threads first. 242 held so tight that I couldn't get it loosened and had to send it in! Next time I'd just use a dab of paint. FX-3 is off the Montucky for now... getting replaced by a SWFA 3-9x.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Two words- blue Loctite wink

Or a wrap of electric tape.
Or rubber cement.
Or a large O-ring jam fit between the ocular and locking ring.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks L. Honestly I hate rails due to the scope height even though I've used them on several rifles. And kydex tacos or stock purses are not my thing. But rails are strong and I've never had the system split or crack. Still a 42mm Chicken on a rail is not my first choice unless it can sit low.

Besides the mounts splitting, the ocular jam-nut on my FX-3 comes loose every 50 rounds or less on the Kimber if I don't keep an eye on it. I tighten the shhit out of it and can't get it any tighter even with a strap wrench. The 7-08 doesn't have much recoil so it must be something to do with the harmonics. The same scope never had an issue on a couple of 300 Win Mags. Only other rifle that would loosen the ocular was a 375 Ruger.

I've got Warne bases and Maximas ordered. I've had good luck with Maximas and they sit lower than most. I doubt I'll have an issue with those but if I do I'll post an update. Wish I could use Seekins rings but they won't fit the Warne bases.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted. I just put some Talley lightweights on a 7 pound 338. We'll see how they hold up...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On Monday I'll see about a hardness test for the Talleys and report the results. Not sure if the lab techs are in next week though.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Results from hardness test:

-- Rockwell B (1/16" ball, 500kg) = 76

This is roughly 122 Brinell (10mm ball, 500kg) and quite a bit harder than 6061-T6. Talley advertises 7000-series and it certainly appears to be in that range.

Of interest, we used a bar of 6061-T6 to warm-up and exercise the Mitutoyo tester. The alu bar measured 60 on Rockwell B which matches the ASTM spec for this alloy (Brinell 95).

Based on this very limited test, it appears that the material is ok.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I also used a Zeiss stereo-microscope to check the cracks to make sure I wasn't seeing things. The images really pop with these scopes and it was easy to see the cracks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Results from hardness test:

-- Rockwell B (1/16" ball, 500kg) = 76

This is roughly 122 Brinell (10mm ball, 500kg) and quite a bit harder than 6061-T6. Talley advertises 7000-series and it certainly appears to be in that range.

Of interest, we used a bar of 6061-T6 to warm-up and exercise the Mitutoyo tester. The alu bar measured 60 on Rockwell B which matches the ASTM spec for this alloy (Brinell 95).

Based on this very limited test, it appears that the material is ok.

No idea what you're saying....but the last sentence clears it all up for me. I have heard of Brinell hardness when buying cast bullets. But that's about it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the techno-babble. Yes, the material itself appears ok at least in terms of hardness.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to mention that Talley customer service has responded promptly with replacements on the way. I sent an e-mail yesterday describing the situation with links. They had replacements in the mail this AM. I was expecting to need a follow-up call with them as most companies don't seem to pay attention to their "Contact Us" forms. Not so with with their C/S.

Used their customer service one other time and they were very prompt then too. Thus far I've got nothing but praise for their customer service. I'm impressed and have had a lot of stuff with lifetime warranties fail, only to get the run around with the customer service department.

Talley also wants the cracked rings back for inspection. Hoping to hear the results of their findings.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talley is the best. They've taken care of me twice and service was great and fast.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Forgot to mention that Talley customer service has responded promptly with replacements on the way. I sent an e-mail yesterday describing the situation with links. They had replacements in the mail this AM. I was expecting to need a follow-up call with them as most companies don't seem to pay attention to their "Contact Us" forms. Not so with with their C/S.

Used their customer service one other time and they were very prompt then too. Thus far I've got nothing but praise for their customer service. I'm impressed and have had a lot of stuff with lifetime warranties fail, only to get the run around with the customer service department.

Talley also wants the cracked rings back for inspection. Hoping to hear the results of their findings.

That's been my experience with them as well. They are great. Very similar to RCBS customer service....

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think it was CTSmith that posted this thread - for a possible alternative: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9429142/1

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.