Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
P_Weed Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
A couple friends at work were talking about a You Tube Video that showed an RIA 1911 pistol
that fired 9MM and 22 Caliber Center Fire cartridges, exchanging barrels.
Both are real interested in acquiring this animal

> http://gunnerdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/review-rock-island-armory-22-tcm.jpg <

I've never heard of this 22 TCM round before. Any comments?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are just now starting to import a bolt-action rifle for the same round. A faux M1 Carbine in that round would be too much for my weak soul to resist... and then I'd have to get the 22 TCM 1911 to go with it.

The 22 TCM 1911's have been out for a year plus.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I wish lone wolf or some custom barrel maker would make them for Glocks 17/19s.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...I'm waiting for a simple conversion unit to come out for single stack 1911s. Just don't care for the feel of the double stack guns...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
...I'm waiting for a simple conversion unit to come out for single stack 1911s. Just don't care for the feel of the double stack guns...

Bob

for a 9mm single stack all you need is a barrel and lighter spring, everything else should work....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a 10mm necked to .22 would be real interesting, too.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like ammo is as or more expensive than 9mm. What's the attraction? Just something different?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
22 BOZ. Was a 10 necked down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It looks like ammo is as or more expensive than 9mm. What's the attraction? Just something different?

i thought it would be an interesting jackrabbit and similar round....just something different....my brother and i were planning on going halves on one for chits and giggles but me getting a divorce and being out of work killed that idea....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

for a 9mm single stack all you need is a barrel and lighter spring, everything else should work....

...is the barrel ramped?

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...just looked...no it is not...so the barrels should fit a single stack...

Thanks so much...Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looking for more info but may not be quite so simple...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=367506

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Count me as in the number of folks who want one. Loaded with a tough, non expanding bullet ( and maybe even with an expanding bullet) it would likely defeat nearl any readily wearable body armour, for those who care about such things.

It would give one roughly the same power/lethality package of an FN 5.7 for less money and with the ability to also shoot 9mm ammo with a quick change out. FWIW, my BIL, who is a sergeant with the local PD, is issued an FN 5.7 any time he is charged with witness protection or security duty for a politician or foriegn dignitary. The idea being that he may need to defeat body armour of a well equipped and prepared would be kidnapper or assailant. I would like to try this little pistol out with my 45gr Barnes Monolithic tipped or untipped bullets for barrier penetration.
My guess is that so loaded it would easily exceed the FBI penetration standards.

For me, in the immediate, it would be a great pistol to pack for pheasant and duck hunting outings where coyotes are often seen on such trips.

With the extra barrel etc. the pistol would be a pretty good bug out bag or emergency preparedness firearm.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Anybody who would like to read something about the 22 TCM vs. the 5.7X28 FN can do so in the Dec. 2014 edition of Gun Tests magazine.
What they found was that the 22 TCM was more powerful than the 5.7 round and they rated the Rock Island Armory 1911 higher than the older version of the 5.7 FN pistol that they have had for a while.
BTW, the the RI pistol was not reliable when setup to shoot 9mm rounds.
I'd also point out that the factory 5.7 ammo, including the new Federal loading are loaded pretty light. A quick look at the loading data for the 5.7 put out by Ramshot/Accurate Reloading shows at least some of the available 40 gr. bullets can be pushed just as fast in the 5.7 as they can in the 22 TCM.
The loading data for the 5.7 makes it very clear that the 5.7 is a very touchy round to reload. They, for instance, show different loads for the longer 40-45 gr. bullets.
To each his own, but I'll stick with the 5.7 FN. For one the pistol is half the weight of the RI 1911. For another, with 40-45 gr. Sierras made for the .22 Hornet, it penetrates two, 2.5 gallon sealed jugs of water placed end to end and keeps right on going. That's more than I need for anything. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like the idea of the 5.7x28, but don't like the plastic pistol, then I'd say the TCM looks interesting.

Of course a 10mm necked to .22 would have even more case capacity, and presumably be worth more speed. And maybe becomes an even better carbine round.

Of course if you are a pistol loony (to paraphrase JB) then it's automatically interesting smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Of course if you are a pistol loony (to paraphrase JB) then it's automatically interesting smile

And there you have it. smile

How about just a "Gun Looney"? I think that one fits me best.

Rifles, shotguns, handguns, airguns..... If they are good ones, I like em!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I can't disagree with any of that from both of you. I bought the 5.7 mostly because it was different and fascinating. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I can't disagree with any of that from both of you. I bought the 5.7 mostly because it was different and fascinating. E

They ARE pretty space aged looking, and light. I have shot my brother in laws FN 5.7 a little. But for me having cut my semi auto teeth on a 1911 and being really ingrained into its use and controls and ergo's the RIA 22TCM makes a lot of sense. Especially with an extra barrel/spring for 9mm that will likely become a 38 Super or maybe even a 9x21 shortly after arrival in my home. Can anyone here tell that I am something of a speed freak/velocity whore??? grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by safariman

It would give one roughly the same power/lethality package of an FN 5.7 for less money and with the ability to also shoot 9mm ammo with a quick change out. FWIW, my BIL, who is a sergeant with the local PD, is issued an FN 5.7 any time he is charged with witness protection or security duty for a politician or foriegn dignitary. The idea being that he may need to defeat body armour of a well equipped and prepared would be kidnapper or assailant. I would like to try this little pistol out with my 45gr Barnes Monolithic tipped or untipped bullets for barrier penetration.
My guess is that so loaded it would easily exceed the FBI penetration standards.

That sounds like one high speed police department!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.