Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a bunch of tests done to see if I have RA, but nothing was conclusive. I do have osteoarthitis.The doc put me on Plaquanil but it tore my guts up, and I quit. My joints still hurt though. My brother takes Celebrex and says he would be in bad shape without it. Aside from Aleve or Advil, what works best?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
with the NSAIDs prolly best just to try each one for a week and see what works best, Advil worked better for me than Celebrex but know people who Celebrex or Aleve was better for....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a sister in law who has it bad, real bad, hands like claws bad. I hate to bring this up but she get a topical cream she uses on her hands and shoulders. It is a pot based cream. She functions, does housework, feeds livestock and gardens with it. Without it she cannot even dress herself.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have a sister in law who has it bad, real bad, hands like claws bad. I hate to bring this up but she get a topical cream she uses on her hands and shoulders. It is a pot based cream. She functions, does housework, feeds livestock and gardens with it. Without it she cannot even dress herself.

and that works better yet for most that try it, but most refuse to go that route....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I Oregon and Washington you can use it without getting into trouble with the state. That is not the case in most states.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a pot based cream?

I bet that's a bitch to keep lit

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is the pot vs firearm thing that keeps me away. I would like to try it because I am really getting tired of hurting all the time. I am just not willing to loose my right to carry.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm on Mobic and as others have said, without it for a couple days, I hurt like hell and my quality of life is severely diminished. Wife uses some kind of topical cream on her hands that also helps.

The one thing that I'm sure will help, but I haven't been very consistent about is reducing the inflammation caused by my diet. Consider going to something like a Paloe diet and also take fish oil supplements.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Naproxen started to affect my blood pressure. I was prescribed omeperazole to soothe my gut.
I am supposed to get something without sodium in it next. Honestly, naproxen doesn't work all that great because of the lousy condition of my ankle.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got some pretty bad osteoarthritis in my hands, fingers, knees, neck, etc. In January, I had a knee replacement with another one in the future.

I've tired virtually everything, prescription and non-prescription and nothing seems to do much good. I do take 1 Advil and 2 Tylenol 3X per day. Seems to help a little.

IC B3

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tylenol/codine 3 takes the edge off. I had Viox when they were prescribing it but it didn't work for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
... nothing seems to do much good. I do take 1 Advil and 2 Tylenol 3X per day. Seems to help a little.

This is where I'm at. I tend to avoid taking anything other than drinking more plain old tap water. Liver and kidney killers seem to work about the same as water so I opt for the latter with occasional NSAIDs on days the weather seems to cause too much discomfort. I hate how arthritis affects my balance - or rather, how it affects my reaction to balance cues.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Methotrexate works for me. Have to take folic acid with it to keep it from eating up my guts. Doc also has me om prednisone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smarquez
Naproxen started to affect my blood pressure. I was prescribed omeperazole to soothe my gut.
I am supposed to get something without sodium in it next. Honestly, naproxen doesn't work all that great because of the lousy condition of my ankle.

I have to take that stuff for my back and knees, it helps but it does upset my stomach a lot. Doc said it was my caffeinated coffee. De-caf sucks, but it did help a little. Now he wants me to cut back to 1 16 oz beer a week.

Swifty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Aleve works pretty good for me. I take one every morning.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I'm on Mobic and as others have said, without it for a couple days, I hurt like hell and my quality of life is severely diminished. Wife uses some kind of topical cream on her hands that also helps.

The one thing that I'm sure will help, but I haven't been very consistent about is reducing the inflammation caused by my diet. Consider going to something like a Paloe diet and also take fish oil supplements.

This is what I was told would help.....not by a doctor, but a friend who also deals with OA. I understand there are many food items that can greatly contribute to inflammation.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by Akbob5

This is what I was told would help.....not by a doctor, but a friend who also deals with OA. I understand there are many food items that can greatly contribute to inflammation.

I have friend over in Grand Junction that was looking at a double hip replacement. He got on this treatment of foods that he was allergic to and now has no pain and will not need a
transplant.

http://www.immunolabs.com/patients/

Celebrex does not work any better than all the other OTC NSAIDs

Advil works for be, Alieve is better, but it acts as a stimulant for me and keeps me wake at night.

It hurts, but start to exercise more

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/18/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
everyones body chemestry is different, which NSAID works best for you will depend on that....some people Celebrex does work better, for others it doesnt.....Advil works best for me followed by Celebrex....Aleve does nothing at all, might as well be sugar....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I Oregon and Washington you can use it without getting into trouble with the state. That is not the case in most states.

I have to tell you a funny scott. Arizona now has medicinal "weed" with dispenseries all over the place. Must be an epidemic of bad backs among the 20year olds. The funny:
a guy goes into a gun store to buy a gun and fills out the 4473. Then provides two types of I.D. one being a medical Pot card. You think? Then gets ticked when no gun.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smarquez

The VA gave me Naproxen and I was already on Omeperazole. First day I took it I laid down to go to bed and had stomach acid fill my sinuses and run out my nose. Finally got to sleep but I had to sleep sitting up. Never took a second dose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,141 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.