Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fix the sling swivel, fix the pad.
I would use the original swivel and whatever pad you like.

Then keep hunting the crap out of it.

Arcus Venator
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickF
It's a pet hunting rifle, not a museum piece. Refinish it, and continue to use it sir.

Exactly, it's your rifle you're never selling it ... Make it yours.

Post pics when done.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington.

laugh laugh laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
no law says you have to stand them up. store it muzzle down.
you can fit more in the safe that way also..
pachmayer will hold up for years and there re lots of options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the OP certainly got his money's worth in opinions.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sako sling swivels - you can use a pair of pliers and pull the loop off of it. It will then fit any detachable you use.

In reference to the pad - the ones that are being sold by Custom Shop are from the Sako factory (not sure who actually makes them). These are current production and do not crush (or at least the ones that I have are not showing any signs of crushing in the last 1.5 years of using them). You can save yourself a few dollars and order them directly from Brownells. I think they want $98 each for them. My local gunsmith charged me $35 to remove the old one, install and grind to fit the stock. Make sure who ever you take it to can grind the pad on the stock. You do not want those goofy holes in the pad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not spend $100 on pad for mass produced rifle. We are not talking Westley Richards or Holland so Pachmayr Old English should be good enough. These are very heavy rifles so no fancy goofy recoil reducing pads are needed.
I would not waste time replacing sling swivels. NECG carries Recknagel ones that should fit old Sako. I'm pretty sure when I bought Browning Safari at LGS they pulled couple off used Sako for me. These were ERA Recknagel make.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by emmerth
Sako sling swivels - you can use a pair of pliers and pull the loop off of it. It will then fit any detachable you use.

In reference to the pad - the ones that are being sold by Custom Shop are from the Sako factory (not sure who actually makes them). These are current production and do not crush (or at least the ones that I have are not showing any signs of crushing in the last 1.5 years of using them). You can save yourself a few dollars and order them directly from Brownells. I think they want $98 each for them. My local gunsmith charged me $35 to remove the old one, install and grind to fit the stock. Make sure who ever you take it to can grind the pad on the stock. You do not want those goofy holes in the pad.

I saw the pads at Custom Shop and thought they were expensive and looked a bit rough in the pictures. I didn't realize they were still making them. I searched Brownells and cannot find them, what is the item description to search for on their site?

Thanks,
MJS

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Since you have decided to keep it forever, I would get it fixed exactly like you want it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
While I would normally say its a Sako, leave it alone...
Its a 270, so hack away!

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I don't have a problem with oil finishing a pre-Garcia Sako if your are not preserving it as a collector. That said, know that if you strip the stock, you're going to be left with a colorless, cheap piece of timber. These Sakos we're sprayed with a "tinting lacquer" containing "stain" and finish all in one. To oil re-finish, you will need to find someone who understands how to "dye" with water or alcohol based aniline dye (not pigment stain) and then do a soft oil finish on top. Demand to see a sample of this kind of work--it is not commonly understood.

I always hated the cheap perforated pad on my '63 Finnbear--a solid Pachmayr or Silver's style is the ticket. Detachable sling swivels
would be highly desireable.

I'd also stay with blued steel on this rifle--coating would be totally out of character--you can tell I'm not a "factory worshiper"
on the subject of refinishing--but I do like the idea of preserving the original style of these wonderful old rifles--you know--"walnut and blue steel." I'm currently doing the same to a '63 Vixen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have a sticky stock on a Finnbear, appears to be unfired, probably 30-35 years old and the finish is still sticky to the touch. Wish there was a simple way to remove the sticky.

I understand it was a problem with some Sakos of that period.

You have one of the best rifles ever made but nothing there to prevent you from giving her a face lift.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Define "worth it"

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by kifaru
I don't have a problem with oil finishing a pre-Garcia Sako if your are not preserving it as a collector. That said, know that if you strip the stock, you're going to be left with a colorless, cheap piece of timber. These Sakos we're sprayed with a "tinting lacquer" containing "stain" and finish all in one. To oil re-finish, you will need to find someone who understands how to "dye" with water or alcohol based aniline dye (not pigment stain) and then do a soft oil finish on top. Demand to see a sample of this kind of work--it is not commonly understood.

I always hated the cheap perforated pad on my '63 Finnbear--a solid Pachmayr or Silver's style is the ticket. Detachable sling swivels
would be highly desireable.

I'd also stay with blued steel on this rifle--coating would be totally out of character--you can tell I'm not a "factory worshiper"
on the subject of refinishing--but I do like the idea of preserving the original style of these wonderful old rifles--you know--"walnut and blue steel." I'm currently doing the same to a '63 Vixen.

Excellent post Kifaru, I thought there was possibly some nice wood under all that lacquer but it sounds like leaving it alone is the way to go. I've decided to leave it wood and blue, I love the character anyways.

What type of pachmayr would you recommend? I'm thinking the brown old english type with a black spacer would look nice and keep the original look since that's the color combo Sako used. Do you have pictures of the one you had put on?

I'm planning to have HCR do the work since they are close to Austin and everyone raves about the quality but they are not cheap (I'm sure it's worth it though). McBride's in Austin is less than half the price for a recoil pad install but they did some work for me on a pistol I wasn't happy with (put some trijicon sights on poorly, front sight is crooked). I'd rather buy once, cry once.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
McMillan makes a nice feeling classic stock for Sakos.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes, either the Pachmayr Old English or same solid design in the Decelerator compound. I like the red 1" (comes Med. Only)on a really classic kicking rifle but have used the brown also. For some odd reason, red only looks good to me if it is in the 3/4-1" thick range. I use the black if I stay at 1/2".
New England Custom Guns is offering pads in all three colors , sm, med, lg. Check them out.

HCR does nice work (I am in San Antonio) and I'm kind of a crank about pad fitting (on rifles, I do my own)--I think you're right to find someone who will produce a superior job.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If It were me, every scratch and ding would make me think of my Dad Hunting it. I would leave it as is.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by emmerth

Have you ever pulled the loop off the fixed swivels before? It sounds (and looks) like it's possible but I just tried and could not do it. Any tips or tricks to getting the job done?

Thanks,
MJS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fix what NEEDS fixed. Not one to worship original but, why does a rifle have to look new if you are going to hunt it. When you are done peckering with it probably will NOT look NEW. frown It just wont have any character. You are thinking about turning a 38 year old beautiful woman into a 19 year old silicone and plastic slut with a pretty face and no soul, or brains. blush

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you all for your posts. The rifle is going to be dropped off next week. I am getting quick detach studs installed and a new recoil pad.

I now just need to decide on which Pachmayr....red, brown, or black....and .80 or 1 inch. Any thoughts? The rifle is 9.5 lbs and a 270 so pad thickness isn't needed, I just want it to look right.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.