Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Broadheads kill via hemmorahge....period. In front of the diaphram lies the thoracic cavity, in the thoracic cavity is the highly vascular lungs surrounding the heart vena cava and the esophagus. In cervidae the two lung compartments are divided by the medialstineal membrame so one lung can collapse and the other may function. It was stated it was a complete broadside pass thru....so the projectile went thru both lungs if it indeed went thru the thoracic cavity. If MY broadhead hit that low thru both lungs and the animal did not exanguate (bleed out) where I could follow it. I would get a different broadhead......end of story.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It didn't hit both lungs or the deer would have been dead and recovered.

The lungs sit higher in the thoracic cavity than the wound.

Duh...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Low enough to miss the vitals, but wouldn't have thought so. It happens, glad to know he's doing fine tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Go back to the muzzys, what I used for years till I learned of the Slick Tricks here on the campfire! Glad the buck recovered, as I said im not a fan of the rage style heads, and in my mind cheap made stuff has a greater chance to fail! I think the bow hunter form would have been a better place for this post!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I found the O/T a nice breather. Curious as we all have our opinions, and are right until proven otherwise. More than one way to skin a cat. Fred Bear killed hundred"s" of deer with a stamped steel broadhead...when deer were not abundant. I have some and used them until replaceble blades came on the market in the '80s. Funny how my ancestors seemed to do okay, just using a nicely chipped rock on the end of a non-graphite, non-aluminum, wooden stick, without glue-on or heat shrink fletching.
Any way you can kill a deer that is legal & humane, is fine with me. "Losing" a wounded deer is tough. Not looking long enough is wrong. Knowing the guy is still out there outracing the coyotes will make you sleep better. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It don't matter what you hit him with.

The best most expensive American made fixed blade broadhead in the world won't kill a big game animal if you don't hit something that is going to bleed him out.

That hit was behind the heart and below the lungs.

Or the deer would be dead.

He ain't dead though, so it didn't hit him in the heart or lungs or he'd be dead.

Wait, I already said that.

The broadhead clearly opened and sliced a clean hole through the deer, same result as any fixed blade would have produced if placed in the same spot.

Another case of paralysis by analysis...

Cracks me up.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is a thing called clotting.....Duh. The less sharp something is the more trauma to capillaries veins and arteries, the more prothrombin is secreted by the capillaries. The more prothrombin the more she clots. The thoracic cavity is a negative pressure cavity......as in the organs completely fill the space. Obviously the sharp efficient properly built broadhead missed the lungs hence the thoracic cavity or the broadhead was not up to the task. DUH!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Is okay... makes up for how the rest of us take you.

grin

That's a killing shot right there OP, take note! laugh

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Brisket. He lives.
Nice pic.

I agree, brisket. Oh wait, I answered my own comment. blush
Granted this is a drawing, but when that front leg is stretched forward the brisket is a fairly large void. The deer may not survive due to infection. Part of the game. Thanks for the OT Tom.
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A brisket shot should show grease on the shaft and a constant stream of blood as there would be no cavity for the wound to bleed into. I apologize it may be an optical illusion as the animal is rotated and I did not see the arrow/bolt hit. If I would shoot one there at 18 yards and not harvest the animal I would analyze my whole deal.Just braying. Good call on the brisket shot! I missed it. I am humbled.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/18/14.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A brisket shot should show grease on the shaft and a constant stream of blood as there would be no cavity for the wound to bleed into. I apologize it may be an optical illusion as the animal is rotated and I did not see the arrow/bolt hit. If I would shoot one there at 18 yards and not harvest the animal I would analyze my whole deal.Just braying.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.