Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's good/great practice. However, you don't need to put it in the heart of a trotting bull every time. Or do you??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good thread and idea Carl. Hopefully more guys will post some pics of their targets. I know there are a lot of shooters here. Let's see them!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not that many seasons are drawing to a close, it�s time for some winter shooting!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
prairie goat, we've had our differences here, but I have to say you shoot very well. Hopefully more guys will participate in this positional shoot. It's a lot of fun racing the damn clock laugh

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks bsa! You are a very good shot as well. I'd imagine it's challenging to recover from recoil and reload quickly with that 9.3. Good shooting.

I agree; would like to see more guys shooting!

This was a tough course of fire with the time limit; it's certainly great practice. I'll try and get out over the weekend to run it again.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, here are some more targets I shot today with my 30-06 classic sporter and pre 64 model 70 270 fwt. Again, these are my hunting rifles. This is a great thread idea and it keeps me practicing my field positions. All shots fired within time constraints...:

30-06 classic sporter that I hunt deer and elk with. 180gr. nosler partitions, brown painted and bedded Tupperware with 1" pachmayr decelertor, cheap azz Zeiss Terra 3-9x42. This is one of my "go to" deer and elk rifles. As you can see, my stick shooting ability really sucked with this rifle!!! :
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 270 feather weight. Mcmillan hunters compact with standard fill and 1" red pachmayr decelerator, Zeiss terra with RZ6 reticle and loaded with 150gr. nosler partitions:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Figured I'd bump this thread up since it was a great idea Carl had. Sounded like there was some interest in this, but not too many shooters... Shoot some targets and post some pictures if you guys are out shooting!!

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Finally shot this with a "hunting" rifle as rx'd. Did not have a printer but all circles are sized correctly. I started standing with rifle chambered safety on, scope set on lowest power. On buzzer turned scope up to 9x and assumed correct position.

Particulars:

Tikka T3 SL in 223 Rem

NF 4-16x (shots taken at 9x)

All shots made time. 3 misses.

Total= 17/20

Rifle-

[Linked Image]

Targets-

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great shooting formid. I knew you had it in you... That's a slick set-up too... I may just give this a go with my .223 next time out...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Not shabby! I want that scope...

Timed sticks has been the one that hangs me up most often, I just can't seem to make it happen fast and accurate. I ought to try it sitting from my tripod, for kicks. Haven't cleaned it, but have shot a couple 19's. Probably average 16 or 17, give or take a few obviously.

Somedays I think a T3 SL 223/7-08 combo would do everything I really want, and inexpensively. (As long as I didn't put 4-16 Atacr's on them)

Empirical results rule!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's definitely cleanable. I shot it cold with no dry fire using a pro timer and had lots of time left after each string. The two offhand was in just over 8 seconds. Will try it again tomorrow and see. I like it.

What sticks are you using? I used two hiking sticks with the wrist straps over each handle.

Have played with quite a few T3's (that exact combo as a matter of fact) lately and they all do well. All have been right at 1 MOA or just under for 10 rounds with little to no load development. The 308's shoot the 185gr Juggernauts fantastically.

The key with ATACR's is to get someone else to pay for them..... grin.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Stony point sticks on a hard surface, which is the problem. They're fiddly to setup, and typically need reset after a shot.

My have to try a 7-08 SL, already have the regular lite 223 w/ 1-8" twist.

I'll have to get my "Need cash 4 ATACR" cardboard sign ready and try and score one of the good panhandling spots outside Walmart...

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
It's definitely cleanable. I shot it cold with no dry fire using a pro timer and had lots of time left after each string. The two offhand was in just over 8 seconds. Will try it again tomorrow and see. I like it.

What sticks are you using? I used two hiking sticks with the wrist straps over each handle.

Have played with quite a few T3's (that exact combo as a matter of fact) lately and they all do well. All have been right at 1 MOA or just under for 10 rounds with little to no load development. The 308's shoot the 185gr Juggernauts fantastically.

The key with ATACR's is to get someone else to pay for them..... grin.

Those hiking sticks must be meant for bigstick since we are supposed to be sitting while using them.... laugh. Damn good shooting though, even with the improvised use of the sticks...The sticks really get me too, especially with the heavy kickers. Hard to get the shots in under time, with most just barely getting her done...I also noticed that some rifles like the sticks better than others. Shooting my classic sporter 30-06 with the sticks really shows what I'm talking about. sick. Still a good thread and more guys should play along...

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'd be interested to see how you're using the sticks as I have no issues with controlling the gun, bounce, etc.

I used carbon fiber adjustable hiking sticks (Black Diamond?), with the wrist straps looped over each handle. Doing so creates a "sling" for the forend to rest in and it is a simple matter of adjusting the angle of the legs for height. I allow the forend to rest on the straps and assume a modified sitting position with the offhand gripping the buttstock as you would prone or off a bench. Both elbows are braced upon a knee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally shot this with a "hunting" rifle as rx'd. Did not have a printer but all circles are sized correctly. I started standing with rifle chambered safety on, scope set on lowest power. On buzzer turned scope up to 9x and assumed correct position.

Particulars:

Tikka T3 SL in 223 Rem

NF 4-16x (shots taken at 9x)

All shots made time. 3 misses.

Total= 17/20

Rifle-

[Linked Image]

Targets-

[Linked Image]

Probably would have cleaned it if the scope wasn't tipping the rifle over... wink laugh

That looks like a right good set up for killing lots of things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

2nd offhand shot almost ate my lunch.

Good drill Carl!

[Linked Image]

Here's a practice target I shot in preparing for our annual Government Trapper's rifle shoot coming up in August. 3 shots sitting, 3 shots prone at 100 yards. Must use the same equipment we use in the field on the job. The 10 ring is 1/2". 2 minute time limit. I use an extended bipod for the sitting shots, and a rear bag for the prone shots.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I've worked out a pretty effective way to shoot accurately from a sitting position with the bipod, podloc, and rear support, using a pack.

[Linked Image]

My work rifle is no "lightweight". It tips the scale at 16+ pounds. Not easy to shoot offhand.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very impressive!!

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

[Linked Image]

Here's a practice target I shot in preparing for our annual Government Trapper's rifle shoot coming up in August. 3 shots sitting, 3 shots prone at 100 yards. Must use the same equipment we use in the field on the job. The 10 ring is 1/2". 2 minute time limit. I use an extended bipod for the sitting shots, and a rear bag for the prone shots.

i don't think Biggs can top that one...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice shooting Pat. I'd love to see you play along with the sticks and timed shooting. When I think about guys that can really shoot here, I think of you....Again, I'd love to see some of those targets that carl has posted that can be printed off and shot at. Thanks!!!!

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'd be interested to see how you're using the sticks as I have no issues with controlling the gun, bounce, etc.

I used carbon fiber adjustable hiking sticks (Black Diamond?), with the wrist straps looped over each handle. Doing so creates a "sling" for the forend to rest in and it is a simple matter of adjusting the angle of the legs for height. I allow the forend to rest on the straps and assume a modified sitting position with the offhand gripping the buttstock as you would prone or off a bench. Both elbows are braced upon a knee.

I'll have to focus on shooting off the sticks next time I go out, my technique clearly has room for improvement. I use a very similar position to my unsupported sitting, offhand on the forend ( and sticks ) and an elbow on each knee. Got to get those sticks under control, maybe I'll try some ski poles too.

Empirical results rule!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.