24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just came in passion of a Winchester 92 in 32/20 circa 1907. Having some trouble with the feeding. Some times it will feed fine and other time the shell will lift to high and not go into the chamber correctly. Thought that I would give it a good cleaning first and then maybe a total teardown. Does anybody have a video that will help me with the teardown? Maybe a copy or post it. I feel better seeing what to disassemble and it what order. Thanks for the help.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Something like this can often by corrected by a shim behind the cartridge guide, which closes the gap at the rear where the rim of the case gets lifted up through the guides, making the rim of the case lift higher, so that the nose of the shell doesnt face plant into the top of the chamber and jam up.

The right hand cartridge guide is more accessable. Unscrew the right hand cartridge guide screw(screw above the loading gate on the outside) and the cartridge guide will come lose on the inside of the action, (Just a strip of metal with a groove in it) you can then wiggle it out.
Put a thin folded strip of aluminum from a beer can where the guide fits into (without covering the screwhole) and then fit the cartridge guide back over the top and screw it in.
Try working a few cartridges through the action and see if it has improved.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is very simple. My dad always said there are 2 kinds of people that work on guns; gunsmiths and idiots.You just need to ask yourself which you are...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How do you determine that a gunsmith isn't an idiot?

If you've never encountered less than competent gunsmiths, you must live in a different universe than I do. A lot of shooters do their own work not necessarily because they want to, but because they can't readily access a competent gunsmith to do what needs to be done.

More to the point, these days there are few gunsmiths that are experienced with the intricacies of lever actions, and therein lies the practical problem.

That's my take based on my experience. As the saying goes, YMMV.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
How do you determine that a gunsmith isn't an idiot?

If you've never encountered less than competent gunsmiths, you must live in a different universe than I do. A lot of shooters do their own work not necessarily because they want to, but because they can't readily access a competent gunsmith to do what needs to be done.

More to the point, these days there are few gunsmiths that are experienced with the intricacies of lever actions, and therein lies the practical problem.

That's my take based on my experience. As the saying goes, YMMV.

Paul

Paul, my mileage DOES NOT vary! I have given up finding a reputable competent conscientious gunsmith in my area. I have taken up working on my Savage 99's as a matter of necessity.
It is very rewarding to learn the mechanisms and repair them myself, but the learning curve is time consuming.

LOL
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, and you have a world of company.

The really competent gunsmiths have more business that they can ever hope to handle.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to live in Grants Pass, Oregon. One of the gunsmiths there told me to avoid a particular shop, he was so bad he kept the other 5-6 gunsmiths in town employed just fixing his mistakes. He wasn't kidding.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I bought a 100 year old Win 1892, weighed it, took it apart, cleaned it, and within a couple hours, put it together again. It had lost MORE than a pound. That was a lot of dirt.
So I told my brother. He said "HA!", becuse he did it as teen ager with nothing but an exploded drawing, and he knew I used youtube.
It was true I used youtube. And NRA firearm disassembly book 1975 that has a page on the 1892 with instructions.
Most anyone could do this rifle with that info.

1) This guy on youtube, Jim Green, I really like.
He shows how to take apart a Win 1886 [like a big Win 1892]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTywA_y0sPA

2) Here is the book:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you can't read this fine print, you could:
1) do control + on you keyboard to make it bigger and control - to make is smaller.
2) Right click on the pic and save to your desktop. Then manipulate the pic in what ever viewer is on your computer. I like Irfanview. That is a free download.

Off topic:
The same easy effort for the 1892 is not true for the Winchester 1895 that had even more dirt. But there is no youtube on it. And I cannot find instructions. I found a bad exploded drawing of the 1895. I had to figure out some things were impossible and make slave pins.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good job.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/08/15.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Off topic:
The same easy effort for the 1892 is not true for the Winchester 1895 that had even more dirt. But there is no youtube on it. And I cannot find instructions. I found a bad exploded drawing of the 1895. I had to figure out some things were impossible and make slave pins.

I know what you mean. I've had '92s and '86s torn down but the '95 I did recently was a whole 'nother animal!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elkermarty - if you'd like it, PM me. I mistakenly ordered a Winchester 1892 disassembly manual online the other day from Homestead, when what I meant to click on was a *Marlin* 1892 disassembly manual. You're welcome to it, just PM me your address.

And if Elkermarty doesn't need it any more, one of you hooligans may have it.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please put me in the holding pattern as next to land and purchase your Winchester 1892 manual.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.