Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
So here is the issue at hand (bad pun #1), I chronically hit high under speed with the Glock 22 based on how it fits my hand so I used the biggest backstrap included with the pistol to alter the point of aim. This was working pretty well and kept my rounds from going higher than needed.

Yesterday I was trying to push my limits from obscure angle draws (supine, support hand etc) and I hit a snag (bad pun #2). The backstrap flexed to far when I hit it with the web of my hand I was unable to release it from the holster. I had to completely regrip the gun to get it out and even then it was bent down enough to completely compromise the ability to handle the gun properly.

I think this is a very good example of a product that seems like a good idea on paper and was fine under moderate stress but when pushed hard failed horribly. It is already in the trash and I am glad I caught it before it really mattered. In the first photo you can see it is slightly bent down, it simply would not return to original form. I know that when I made my draw I did not come straight down for the grip, I came from an angle above the slide and that was enough for the web of my hand to grab the top of the backstrap and bend it right down. I know it has probably caused me a bobble or two before but I was probably catching it and adjusting my grip during the draw cycle. The other day I was really pushing it against the clock on a dry fire and with my muscles primed for maximum speed it simply folded like the cheap plastic it was. Sorry for the bad pictures but you get the point.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That does look like some hokey-jokey BS.

I found that Glocks always have a high NPA for me.

I sanded off most of the stipple on the lower rear grip area on my Gen2 Glocks, to lower the front sight on a natural hold. Worked like a charm.

Here's my G22,

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not something I would have thought about. Thanks for sharing!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unlike the M&P the Glock interchangeable backstrap is an afterthought tacked on as a feature. I prefer Gen 3's myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
....it simply folded like the cheap plastic it was.

Hey - you mind if I use that? smirk

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yow! That looks like a recall issue to me. Aside from the repetitive action of drawing the gun, open carriers such as police are always clanging and banging up against stuff with their holstered guns.

The manufacturers' new habit of designing and supplying guns with a bunch of removable backstraps has been one of my pet peeves, but this issue was not even on my radar screen.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 12/18/14.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
MM, I am a big fan of grinding down the back of my glocks and reshaping with devcon but this is issued, I cannot even swap out the sights.

Free me use it as you like!!

I was also advised this problem has already come up. Glock is already making a "4.1" frame with a tiny bump right below the back of the slide that will help the backstraps stay in place. Yet another reason I wish I could trade it in for an M&P.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't Gen 4s have integral backstraps so that you can run them without any of the accessory backstraps? I think I would do that. (I also never use any of those slide-on grip adapters on extended magazines for fear that they can get out of place and interfere with seating (in addition to being a pinch point)).

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The alternate backstraps looks like a fail to me.

How's that saying go...if it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
The gen 3 is still my favorite frame. Not a huge fan of the new checkering, it eats clothing concealed and is not real pleasurable to spend a day at the range. I have about 8-10000 through this and it is still sharp with a significantly worse trigger than any of my 3 gen guns.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think the light rail on the Gen3 was a worthy upgrade. I've heard differing opinions on the finger grooves. Never actually tried one myself.

My three Glocks are all Gen2.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gen 3 finger grooves work really well for me, but some folks don't like them. I also like the SF option on the large frames and can't imagine anyone (regardless of hand size) who would want anything but the slimmest and shortest backstrap option. This is true of M&P's as well, the small back strap is best.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
142 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.